Inline FabricationLoad DataReloading EverythingRepackbox
WidenersLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cast in M1 Carbines?

Boolit Buddy
    Gunor.

There was a Bullet Casting outfit up in the Seattle area back in the 1990's, I forgot their name, and they no longer are around.
    I bought a LOT of bullets from them and still have a bunch of that bullet.
    Shot them in every .30 cal from Carbine to 30-06.

They are not the same as the Lyman 311410 as to shape and weight, more like the Saeco bullet for a Carbine.

JW

Boolit Master
    They look like the Meister boolit
    I originally got for my carbine.

Boolit Master
    I had both plain based and GC for my carbine. The plain base would deposit a little bit of lead in the slide. Not much but it would build up. I switched to a gas check and it went away. Ended up selling the plain base. Now I have several 1000 rounds of surplus I may never reload for the carbine again at my current rate of shooting it.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by FredBuddy View Post
    They look like the Meister boolit
    I originally got for my carbine.
    https://www.meisterbullets.com/AWSCa...-Cast-Bullets-

Looks like my bullet
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    I've been shooting cast bullets in M1 carbines [multiple M1 and M2 carbines both semi and rock and roll] since '68. Only had one that got any lead in gas cylinder as it had a burr/chip in the bore at the gas port. All the others, including my current 2 give excellent performance with cast bullets, most often equal to velocity and better accuracy that 30 Carbine Ball ammunition. I recommend the Lyman 311359 as the best general purpose cast bullet and the use of GCs. H110 is my preferred powder.

Attachment 293035

Attachment 293034
    Is that bottom rifle a universal? I just ask because I have a universal with the same stock.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Flintstone View Post
    Due to the lack of jacketed .30 carbine bullets, I’m going to start loading cast bullets. I have a question first though. Have any of you had problems with the cast bullets and the gas piston? Lead buildup in the port or excessive carbon?
    I've had nary any lead/carbon problems with cast bullets. I had a feed problem in a (Hialeah, Florida) Universal (I traded off ) and I'll wager 100:1 it was the firearm, not the cartridges. I now have a Quality Hardware WWII version which shoots cast with zero issues. My bullet of choice is a Hensley & Gibbs #250, gas checked which gets propelled by Hodgon 110 as my favourite powder. I have used the Lyman 311359, and HP38 powders as well.
    I keep my loads at just a very few "notches" above minimal functioning level. (I'm not at war -- and want to make this delightful carbine last, reserving full-house loading for other, modern, made for this abuse firearms.) Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HG 250.JPG 
Views:	31 
Size:	54.0 KB 
ID:	294696
    Best wishes!
    geo

Quote Originally Posted by d4xycrq View Post
    You sir have one of the best, if not the best mold for the .30 Carbine. Every carbine I've fired these loads through exhibited marvelous accuracy.

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Boolit Master
    GONRA also loaded lottsa U311359 gas checked for M1 and M2 and Japanese Howa "copy".
    Verked Just Fine!

Boolit Grand Master

Many just use their m1 Carbines for short range shooting but I prefer to load mine to utilize the full 300 yard range potential. I've found the 311359 at 1850 fps matches the trajectory of the 107/108 gr M1 carbine Ball bullet at 1950 fps. Thus, with the 311359 in the M1 Carbine with the sights zeroed for that bullet the rear sight settings for various ranges run true and are useful to use.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    Way back when, I shot a couple of M1Carbines with the Lyman 311316 FNGC bullet, and 4227 powder.
    No problems running them. I feel the FN bullet would be more effective if "needed"
    beltfed/arnie

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Many just use their m1 Carbines for short range shooting but I prefer to load mine to utilize the full 300 yard range potential. I've found the 311359 at 1850 fps matches the trajectory of the 107/108 gr M1 carbine Ball bullet at 1950 fps. Thus, with the 311359 in the M1 Carbine with the sights zeroed for that bullet the rear sight settings for various ranges run true and are useful to use.
    Thanks, Mr. Gibson. I always look forward to your input.

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Kylongrifle View Post
    Is that bottom rifle a universal? I just ask because I have a universal with the same stock.
    My apologies for missing the question and not answering sooner. No, it is not a Universal, it is a milsurp which I've shot a lot since '67. It's on its third barrel. The stock is a Fajen made for the M1 carbine.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    Neither of my carbines are suited to shooting much beyond 100yds. The best they’ll do is 12” for the ‘43 Saginaw and 7-8” for the Inland.

My fun load however shoots as good or better than my best jacketed loads.
    It’s cheaper and simpler.

Lee 93gr RN .311” 6-cavities mold. Scrap and w/w plus 95/5 solder.
    Powder coated with Harbor Freight powder. Shake n bake. Size .311”.
    11.8gr of #2400. (Cycles actions, easy on brass).
    Trimmed and sized brass. Whatever Small primers....

They’ll stay in a soda can at 50yds, so they serve intended purpose. Shoot to sights set for GI ammo.

Boolit Master

I played with M1 Carbines back in the 60s with lead and was a very inexperienced reloader. I followed Lyman's recommendation at that time and used the 311359 and 311008 sized at .311". Bad move. That combo leaded the gas system of my Inland big time until it stopped functioning. Cleaning the port and piston returned it to the original condition. Remove a big glob of shredded lead after removing the piston.
    Then, several years ago I revisited the M1 Carbine reloading in an article with castpics. In this, I used bullets sized mainly .310" with .309s occassionally. I fired over 2,000 rounds all with cast. Maybe 30% GC'd and the remainder PB, At the end of my tests, I removed the gas piston and there was only residue. No leading.
    Do not use Lyman's .311" recommended diameter./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Bub
    No problems and it's more accurate with Lyman mold cast bullets.

Boolit Buddy
    i have shot several thousand NOE 309-121 RN GC and PCed over 12 grn of 2400. I load them on my Dillon 550 and shoot probably 1000 of them on my DDAY party along with 30-06 8mm 45 acp so on.....

I really like my mold it loads and shoots great, i have even killed deer with 13 grn of 2400 with the lee 310-120 RF

Quote Originally Posted by 15meter View Post
    I had ~2000 of those I bought in a batch of dead guy stuff, commercial cast, came in 500 piece boxes. They had a hard blue lube. Sold them off because they were sized .308. I've always shot .310 out of my carbines.

They were a nice looking boolit. They were from a company I never heard of.

And can't remember the name now.
    About 30 yrs ago I bought 1,000 from Dillon Precision that looked identical to these. Worked great in my Ruger BH and Auto Mag III, (mainly with Hercules 2400)

Quote Originally Posted by 358429 View Post
    I want one chambered 357 magnum
    Someone at Winchester made an error for the ages in not basing it on the 351, instead of the 32WSL.

Maybe the handiest little rifle, ever, was forever handicapped by not quite enough powder and lead in its cartridge.
    The first purpose of the Second Amendment is too often overlooked, fostering a liberty of mind and action necessary in the people of a free republic.

“Ironically, the only gun control in 19th century England was the policy forbidding police to have arms while on duty.”
    ~ Don B. Kates, Jr.

Been using Lyman cast 130g RN in the carbine since the 60s with ball powder, H-110, 296 or AA#9.
    One caution is to use a taper crimp die to just straighten the case mouth as a separate station. The 30’s case head-spaces on the mouth and a wee bit of lead on the case mouth can cause an older, well used gun, with a worn disconnect or to fire out of battery. Been there done that, blew the right lug off the bolt. Be careful with cast and check you case mouths carefully. I size to groove diameter.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast