MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Load DataRepackboxWidenersReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Big Bore Calibers

If I did not already have a 375Winchester, I would check out the 450 Bushmaster fired from the Ruger American Ranch bolt action. I do not believe there is cheaper solution with the same capability. Plink with 45ACP slugs, hunt with 250 grain bullets at 2200FPS from a 16 inch barrel—according to my Hornady Load Manual.

Boolit Master
    If this will be a dedicated hunting rifle that's not going to pull double-duty as a plinker, then 45-70 is a no-brainer as long as it's legal where you want to hunt. With the right components you can balance performance and recoil so you don't get beaten up by it. 444 Marlin is a great alternative but is less common, and might be lower on Ruger's list of production priorities as they get the lever gun line up to speed.

If you're going to use this as a fun gun in addition to hunting, I would get a 357mag or 44mag. You can load both with lighter bullets and lower velocities for plinking ammo and the 357 in particular will be cheaper per round. 357 is also easier to find a diversity of companion revolvers in than the 44mag, but it might not knock down a deer with as much authority.
    I'm a big fan of data-driven decisions. You want to make me smile, show me a spreadsheet! Extra points for graphs and best-fit predictive equations.

I'm a big fan of my 1876 in 50/95 wcf, 350gr FN with a case full of black powder. Big Smoke, Big Boom, Big Smile!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123