Reloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
WidenersSnyders JerkyLoad DataTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Repackbox
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Big Bore Calibers

Boolit Bub

Big Bore Calibers

Hey everyone,
    First time posting and I hope this is the right spot.. I am searching for some advice and insight on a new big bore, straight wall, lever rifle cartridge. I will be casting, and reloading for this caliber with the main purpose of hunting. I am from the north east where straight wall cartridges are legal so that’s my interest in this style. I’m open to any cartridges that meet the requirements above. When marlin finally starts releasing the new rifles I plan on purchasing one. What are y’all’s advice on what specific caliber? 1-Reloading components variety?
    2- Casting components variety?
    3- Best ballistic choice? (Max max would be 200 yds)
    4- I don’t want to get something so unheard of I can’t find any ammunition or components but also I don’t want to get the average run of the caliber.
    5- Absolutely any other insight you would like to offer to assist with a decision.
    Thank you guys and I look forward to talking with y’all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Welcome to the forum!!
    I am quite sure that you will get a plethora of answers on this subject!
    As far as straight walled, I am drawn to the 45-90 in the 1886 Winchester. I see that you are hunting the NE US so it could handle everything that is available there to hunt. I like this cartridge over the 45-70 because it is a bit less run of the mill, and offers performance enough to be impressive. It does give up a little in the category of bullet choices.
    I really like the 405 WCF in the 1895 Winchester because of the awesome power and range of loads that can be safely handled in that platform - from pistol weight screamers to 400gr solids.
    But I don't know if it qualifies as straight walled in every state.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Get a Henry 45/70. Really a nice lever gun. You can load mouse fart loads that are great for rabbits or squirrel to loads for bison, moose and grizz. Those mouse fart loads can be extremely accurate and addictive for little $$$. I'll never shoot a bison, moose or grizz but I'm ready. Really fun whitetail rifle, little noise, little recoil. Might pop a coyote or fox too.
    Never trade luck for skill.

I'm a big .45-70 fan.
    200 yards with it is no big deal once you learn the drop rate and are good at ranging it.

Its got plenty of power for anything you'll see up there.
    In the Black Powder days--- When the Army was considering buying it and the trapdoor Springfield,
    their research proved it could accurately and consistently take a man off a horse at 1,000 yards.

I've killed a few deer with my Marlin at 100-ish yards.
    None took another step, and with a 405FP, it leaves a wound channel about the size of a baseball.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    wishin for a 38-55 to go with its big brother 45-70, both straight walls and capable at 200yds, can beloaded with the black magic or choke choke new fangled smokeless (probably be obsolete by the time I get done typing) OH yes and availible in lever action

Does your state have a case length limit? Mine does, and it makes the 45-70 illegal. The 45-70 is great, but if you have a case length limit, the 44 magnum would be a good choice.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

444 marlin. Uses 44 mag bullets, and specific 444 marlin bullets. It is just odd enough but sometimes available as factory, when times are normal.

Boolit Grand Master

I would vote for the 45-70 ...lots of information , load data , boolit moulds that have been proven , cases are available .
    My number 2 choice would be 38-55 ... less recoil but still a fair amount of proven data , moulds and cases .
    Both of these have taken their fair share of game and would be fun to work with .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

44 mag and 444 marlin are both modern cartridges 444 fits the obscure but available category but a 44 mag in a rifle and with cast it seams to be a match in power with the 444 another option would be 45 long colt

Boolit Master
    My vote would be for the 38-55. Case's are plentiful and molds for it made by almost all mold companys. It is plenty powerful enough for anything you will encounter in the lower 48. I have a Marlin Cowboy with a 25" octagon barrel. It loves loads from mouse fart to teeth rattling.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    For what you want, the 45/70 cartridge is at the top of the list. I like the idea of 45/90 and may get one some day, but if you want to find ready to shoot ammo, you want a 45/70. I can tell you from experience, that a 45/70 will kill a big grisly, even with trapdoor loads. They used to be the only thing available on a shelf.

L to R 38/55, 40/65, 45/70, 50/70 and 577 Snider (with 22 Hornet for comparison)

Any of these would suit your requirements!
    Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Master
    What are you used to? The bigger cartridges can kick like a mule in a light hunting rifle. Yes, they can be loaded to pipsqueak and anything in between, but, then you are shooting at .44mag or .45 Colt levels. So, why not just go with a .44mag like suggested above. .357Maximum would be a nice alternative as well. Plenty of power for a 200yd shot.

If you don't mind the heavy recoil, then by all means, get one of the old black powder cartridges and load it up with smokeless.

If you want different, then it just depends on what you can find.

I'm a 45/70 guy thru and thru, and will get into a fist fight with someone over the virtues of the 45/70 cartridge. With that being said though, the 444 Marlin has an edge and stands out in one aspect, ballistics. You can still shoot a 300-350gr bullet as long as your rifle will cycle it, at roughly the same speeds a 45/70 could shove a 300-350gr bullet. The longer .432 bullet will have a higher BC, shoot flatter, and buck the wind better. I also find my 444 has much less felt recoil than my three 1895's with comparable bullet weights and velocity, and I don't know why. The only 45/70's I own that I can comfortably shoot 60+ times in a day now is my trapdoor and my CPA 44-1/2.

If Ruger re-releases the Marlin XLR line especially in 444, I will be first in line.

Boolit Buddy
    All the above suggestion's will work as well as 350 Legend. for simplicity the 44 mag or 45-70 guns are plentiful and will have lots of choices from different mfgs. If you want to send big for caliber bullets to long distances the 45-70 or 38-55. If you just want an easy to cast, load and shoot the 44 mag. The 44 mag can also be downloaded very easy to 44 special velocities with lighter boolits.
    Tony

Boolit Grand Master

For shooting in the NE the 44Mag or 357 Mag or Max will do all you need. Put one of these in a single shot rifle and challenge yourself. With the 44 Mag or 357 Mag you can get a companion revolver as well.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Get a 38-55 and never look back.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What are you going to hunt with the new rifle? How far are your average shots going to be? I am in the same camp with the non mainstream cartridges but you better check the availability of brass, and suitable powder.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

What are you going to hunt with the new rifle? How far are your average shots going to be? I am in the same camp with the non mainstream cartridges but you better check the availability of brass, and suitable powder. By the way, if you decide on a 44 mag, the Henry's have a very desirable 1-20" twist rate.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

What are you going to hunt with the new rifle? How far are your average shots going to be? I am in the same camp with the non mainstream cartridges but you better check the availability of brass, and suitable powder. By the way, if you decide on a 44 mag, the Henry's have a very desirable 1-20" twist rate. Apologies for the double post

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast