RepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Wideners Load Data
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Big Bore Calibers

Boolit Master

At the moment, it looks like the new Ruger/Marlins will be .45-70, with .30-30 to follow. The 1894 in .357 and .44 - - maybe .45C - - would likely be next. The excellent but less mainstream .38-55? Who knows when, if ever?

.45-70 is common, easy, and extremely capable with a lot of options that range "from tactical to nuclear"
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Buddy
    I use a 45/70 and I love it! Sometimes I start daydreaming about a .375 Winchester and flatter trajectories though. I'm not 100% sure but I think that's nearly the same thing as the .38/55

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frosty Boolit View Post
    I use a 45/70 and I love it! Sometimes I start daydreaming about a .375 Winchester and flatter trajectories though. I'm not 100% sure but I think that's nearly the same thing as the .38/55
    Yes. The 375 and the 38-55 are very similar. The 375 is much higher in pressure. They say you can shoot a 38-55 in the 375 Winchester if you could chamber it but I think the 375 chamber is too short. But if you shoot a 375 Winchester in the 38-55 bad things will happen.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boolit Master

Quite awhile back, Paco Kelly wrote an article that included the .375 Win. He used 38-55 brass because he could get more powder in the case due to thinner brass thickness. Also, he mentioned something about case length. I don't remember much else about the article.

The only thing I remember for sure about Paco's articles was that he liked to push the envelope.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master
    I'd go with the 45-70. In today's world a Henry unless I found a Marlin at a good price, 2ND choice - 444 Marlin, Marlin and Winchester 94's are out there, I've got an early Marlin(no button safety). I like the 45-70 better for elk but with the right bullet the 444 is good also, little difference on deer/black bear. My 444 1-38 twist is very accurate with 300 grain bullets at 2100 fps. 38-55 or .375 Win is the next step down, both good with boolits. Handgun cartridges - beyond 100 yards I would pick a 44 Mag or 45 Colt. The 45-70 and 444 are solid 200 yards plus cartridges, maybe the 375 Win and 38-55, past 150 yards the 44 Mag and 45 Colt are a stretch. Starline makes good 444 brass but in backorder right now.

Boolit Grand Master
    45-70 is an obvious choice then there is the 444 Marlin( which I am in the process of acquiring )
    handle anything the world has to offer the 50 Alaskan would be a fine choice
    to many to list and the list is extensive
    maybe a 405 Winchester trips yer trigger
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Buddy
    As mentioned above. . .you haven't said if you are in the 1.8" case length area or not. That being said. . .the 45/70 Govt. and 444 Marlin are AWESOME cartridges and will be tough to beat - IF - you can use the cartridge length. You also did not say if you're willing to wildcat or not. . .if so, the sky is the limit! If you are going after factory or common loadings the 445 Super Mag, 44 Mag, 350 Legend, 357 Maximum are all great whitetail cartridges, but for the 200 yd. mark I would stick with the 445 SM and 350 Legend in the heavy bullet weights. Cast bullets will be your best friends in what you are seeking. Many rifle choices out there from Marlin, T/C, Winchester, Henry, Ruger and custom shops. . .research and take your pick. Good luck and happy hunting.

Boolit Buddy
    I like my 444 Marlin. It and the 45-70 are so close ballistically that the target won't know the difference. A quick check at Midway USA shows 45-70 ammo available, 444 Marlin not available. If I were in the market, ammo availability would be a determining factor.

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    I'm still sold on 45-90. Then you could shoot either 45-70 or 45-90.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boolit Buddy
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	74DFE49D-7845-4C50-A33F-3AEE8F1C255F.png 
Views:	98 
Size:	442.5 KB 
ID:	293326 Enough said!

Boolit Master
    Roflmao

Quote Originally Posted by cwtebay View Post
    Welcome to the forum!!
    I am quite sure that you will get a plethora of answers on this subject!
    As far as straight walled, I am drawn to the 45-90 in the 1886 Winchester. I see that you are hunting the NE US so it could handle everything that is available there to hunt. I like this cartridge over the 45-70 because it is a bit less run of the mill, and offers performance enough to be impressive. It does give up a little in the category of bullet choices.
    I really like the 405 WCF in the 1895 Winchester because of the awesome power and range of loads that can be safely handled in that platform - from pistol weight screamers to 400gr solids.
    But I don't know if it qualifies as straight walled in every state.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
    How’s the recoil on that rifle/caliber?

Quote Originally Posted by Cast10 View Post
    Since I believe in this case we are mainly speaking about the 45-90 it's not a round commonly found on the shelf of your local sporting goods store this will be a handloaded cartridge. You can load a 45-90 with less recoil than a 45-70 standard velocity cartridge or I can load a 45-70 hotter than a standard 45-90 velocity with subsequent heavy recoil. Load it hot or not.

Load it as hot as you can handle or need for your required need while keeping accuracy in mind.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boolit Master

The 375 Winchester is a pleasure to shoot, and will get the job done.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cast10 View Post
    Recoil is pretty stout when you shoot full house loads with the curved buttplate. Using a Limb Saver slip on makes it downright pleasant though. I tend to load most all of my big game caliber rifles with both full hunting loads and then plinking / small game loads.

What I find very odd is that the new 1886's are / were available in 45-90 but yet Winchester did not manufacture new ammunition for the chambering. I can only surmise that it's to reduce the liability of using new manufactured ammunition in original 86's - but I obviously don't know that for sure.
    After I get through with my 50-70 and 44 American project I am replenishing my 45-90 stock and will try and post some video of my sons shooting it.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Vendor Sponsor

The Ruglins are getting GREAT reviews, and as said in numerous ways in this thread, the 45-70 does it ALL, Components and load data are easy to find, affordable, and you got the Ruger customer service which IS the best in the industry. Plus, they are made in Mayodan, NORTH CAROLINA!
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

In a modern lever gun, I think the 45-70 is hard to beat. Cheaper brass, good ballistics to 200y. I have a Marlin GG, 2x ler scope, very accurate to 200y, about as far as I would push that.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Grand Master

If your from the far North East like I am and moose with bear is in the picture at the ranges you might expect I can't disagree with a 45-70
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master

"maybe a 405 Winchester trips yer trigger"

It sure does mine. Teddy's Big Medicine is one of my grails
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Mold
    Have a few .45-70's

The Marlin 1895 shooting 400 gr J-word projectiles at 1750 fps is deadly accurate, and responsible for a couple of elk. However, that much punch is brutal on the shoulder at the range.
    HR1871 and a sharps that shoot 400, 450, and 500 gr boolits equally well. Being a single-shot is not limiting. Hit something soundly and you don't have to worry about a 2nd shot anyway.

For more pleasurable shooting, get a .38-55 and use the Lyman 375449 mould.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast