I bought this unit to remove donuts from my brass.

Out of the box, it was a bit problematic.

I found it difficult to set the travel stop to where it should be. You have to hold the mandrel between your fingers, then tighten the bar against the cutter body which tightens the mandrel into place. After setting the mandrel in the cutter body, I found it tends to have moved a bit after setting the cutter body in place on the bar. While rotating the bar to take up the slack on the mandrel threads, the mandrel always moved, even when held between thumb and forefinger.

When turning .375 necks, the contact between the case mouth and the mandrel flange caused the mandrel to screw itself further in.

This can cause the cut to go to far into the shoulder. I was cutting slowly, so I noticed it before ruining the case.

I did set it exactly like the instructions say, but there is not enough resistance to prevent the mandrel from rotating in the direction of the case when the case mouth contacts the mandrel flange, at least on this unit of mine. There is no mechanical prevention of the mandrel to rotate while cutting.

I drilled and tapped a 6mm hole at right angles to the mandrel in the cutter body, for a brass bolt.

I can now secure the mandrel in place before fixing the cutter body to the bar, and it doesn't move. The bolt also secures the mandrel against rotating during cutting.

I'm not sure if others have encountered this moving mandrel issue, and how they work around it.

Is it a problem, or is it just me ?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hornady-ntt.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	30.3 KB 
ID:	293024