WidenersRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad Data
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First handgun deer

Boolit Mold

First handgun deer

Got my first with my handgun and first with a cast bullet. Shot her at 50 yards and she ran about 50 yards leaving a great blood trail. I used my Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter with a 255 grain Keith style cast bullet. I loaded them with a mild load of 2400 powder and it did the trick with a entrance and exit. I’m happy with the performance of the bullet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Congratulations, I consider any deer with a handgun a trophy. I have took several deer with a Ruger new Vaquero in 45 colt. After the first one the confidence level goes up. It certainly puts more challenge in the hunt over a modern rifle.
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

Congrats on your first handgun deer kill! Handgun kills are always fulfilling.....your first one has a very special place in your memory! �� memtb
    You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“LETS GO BRANDON”

Boolit Master

Congrats! Some good eating ahead.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Buddy
    Deer with a handgun is fun. To me it is the hunt not the rack. Good hunt. I have shot a truck load of deer with the same bullet as you. I also use 2400, I buy it by the 8 pound jug, have a full one on hand. Started loading 22 grains and it shot well. Then went from a 7 1/2 inch barreled SBH to a 5 1/2 inch barreled with a BH grip. Middle finger was getting killed. Backed load off to 18 grains finger feels better and I can tell no differance in performance. Continue your fine hunting and shooting.
    Steve

Boolit Man
    Great job! Here is my first handgun deer. Got him This year also with a SBH Hunter in 44 Mag. 45 yard shot. Load was 20gn 2400 and 240gn XTP.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Boolit Man
    How do you like those Hogue grips?

Boolit Master
    Congratulations, taking a deer with a handgun is a real thrill, plus using a cast bullet really makes it exciting, great job! Ever try taking a dremel tool with a sanding disk to those Hogue grips & sanding off those finger grooves, especially the top one. Easy to do & getting the top one sanded off, at least for me makes for a much better grip.

Dick

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by hlvabeach View Post
    Great job! Here is my first handgun deer. Got him This year also with a SBH Hunter in 44 Mag. 45 yard shot. Load was 20gn 2400 and 240gn XTP.

Congrats on the buck. Very nice. The hogue grips work great for holding. But you feel more recoil it seems. The wood grips seem to rock in your hand where the Hogue seems to kick more straight back.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by sixshot View Post
    Congratulations, taking a deer with a handgun is a real thrill, plus using a cast bullet really makes it exciting, great job! Ever try taking a dremel tool with a sanding disk to those Hogue grips & sanding off those finger grooves, especially the top one. Easy to do & getting the top one sanded off, at least for me makes for a much better grip.

Dick
    Haven’t never thought about trying that. May have to see what it would feel like.

Boolit Buddy
    Way to go. Exciting with a handgun isnt it? I enjoy hunting with a handgun but this year devoted the whole gun season to a 45-70.

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning ad Congratulations !
    Thank you for the write up and fine photo !
    Yep that 1st revolver corn cruncher brings a real fine warmth in the heart. May improve the eaten also.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Big hole in. Big hole out. Backstrap. No need to over complicate things. Congratulations.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    Those scoped Rugers sure are nice!

Well done, getting a deer with a handgun is on my bucket list as well!

Banned
    congrats!!!!!!!

now all you have to do is take that scope off!!! i use a holo sight now.

Boolit Buddy
    Nice deer, to the both of you. The first one I ever got was with a single shot TC pistol. There is a difference between using a handgun and (trying) to get one with a 12 and slugs. It is just different.

Congrats.

Congratulations

Nice job! It’s hard to beat ol Elmer’s bullets in any caliber, they just work!

It is really hard to beat a 250'ish grain cast bullet in a 44 mag for deer. In case you ever get a chance, I read an article several years ago by Brian Pearce where he recommended 9.5 grains of Power Pistol behind the 429421. I tried that load and it works great on deer without the blast of a full power load.

Boolit Buddy
    Congrats on getting one with a revolver! Like hearing about those stories. So few that do it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast