MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline FabricationLoad Data
WidenersTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need opinion on RCBS/Ohaus Dial-O-Grain scales

Boolit Buddy

Need opinion on RCBS/Ohaus Dial-O-Grain scales

So I am a reloading equipment junkie and I like nice stuff (when I can afford it). As such, over the years I have ended up with a couple of RCBS 304 Dial-O-Grain scales (made, of course, by Ohaus) and a couple of Ohaus 3100 Dial-O-Grains. In my opinion these models are the Rolls Royces of reloading beam scales and are a joy to use.
    Here's my question; does anyone know if there is an inherent difference in reliability and/or accuracy between the two models due to the difference in their weighing capability? I am thinking of selling off a couple of them to reduce clutter and am not sure which ones to keep. My gut tells me to keep the two 3100s because of their higher capacity, but to be honest I don't usually weigh anything more than a single bullet or a powder charge and honestly don't see myself reloading for a GAU-8 any time soon.
    Or would there be a good reason to keep just one of each model?
    Interestingly enough, one of my Ohaus 3100's is the normal height of a RCBS 304 (like the first picture) but the other one (the second picture) has a taller mast that raises it up at least a couple of inches. It also has an correspondingly taller "hanger" for the pan. I like that because it brings the dial and beam up a little closer to eye level. It also has the chrome flat pan compared to the typical gold colored "bowl" pans that are usually included with these, and as a result it's much easier to reach in to add/remove a bullet (or other object) without disturbing things. For a long time I assumed this pan was one that someone had bought as a replacement for the original gold pan but then noticed both the pan and the hanger are stamped with serial numbers that match the scale itself.
    Anyway, what do you guys think?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RCBS 304-ed-red.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	122.0 KB 
ID:	292969

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dial-O-Grain 3100-ed-red.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	127.1 KB 
ID:	292970

Boolit Master
    I have one, I don't see a need to have several. Share the wealth, either sell and/or give them to someone special who will use one.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm the kind of person who always has to have a spare of most things. Just trying to determine which two to sell.

Boolit Buddy
    I have one I would love to have repaired.
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian" Henry Ford

Boolit Buddy
    What's wrong with it, huntnman?

Boolit Master
    I would figure out which 304 and 3100 were the most accurate and pedal the other two.

I have a 304, it’s my “daily driver” and an Ohaus non-dial scale that does grams. I use the gram scale to weigh cattle medicine and also micronutrient applications for my wife’s garden and shrubs.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Master
    i have one of the 304's

cadillac!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Three44s View Post
    I would figure out which 304 and 3100 were the most accurate and pedal the other two.

I have a 304, it’s my “daily driver” and an Ohaus non-dial scale that does grams. I use the gram scale to weigh cattle medicine and also micronutrient applications for my wife’s garden and shrubs.

Three44s
    What method would you use to determine accuracy on these if you didn't have a good set of check weights? Other than comparing consistency between scales.
    Last edited by LeadHead72; 12-11-2021 at 07:38 PM.

Boolit Master
    you really should have check weights, but lacking that try match grade jacketed bullets, they are usually pretty good. But, you really should have check weights....
    NRA Endowment Life Member

Boolit Master
    Proper reloading scales are usually plenty accurate for our needs (+/- .1 grain). What we need most from our chosen powder scale is absolute long term repeatability.

I have had several 304s, and wanted badly to be impressed with them. But they all had the same issue, which seems to be excessive damping. Depending on which way you approached zero, from bottom or top, you would get a different reading and it was sometime significant. Throw the same charge on the pan and it weighed differently every time. Nowhere near good enough for small handgun charges. I never got any of them to work as well as I needed them to do so they were all sold. I've got a 10-10 now that is quite good and can be trusted so it's my go to at this point.

Boolit Master
    Check weights are cheap. I'd use check weights (several) to determine if there is any accuracy difference between the scales.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post
    I have had several 304s, and wanted badly to be impressed with them. But they all had the same issue, which seems to be excessive damping. Depending on which way you approached zero, from bottom or top, you would get a different reading and it was sometime significant. Throw the same charge on the pan and it weighed differently every time. Nowhere near good enough for small handgun charges. I never got any of them to work as well as I needed them to do so they were all sold. I've got a 10-10 now that is quite good and can be trusted so it's my go to at this point.
    I concur with Nobade, I owned two 304s when they first came on the market. I sent both back because of being excessively dampened. As noted throw the same charge on the pan multiple times and the weight is never the same. Usually in the range of plus or minus one to two tenths.

I loved the concept but just not consistent enough.

Boolit Master
    The dial layout is different between the two, which one is quicker and easier to read? I have a tall 3100 and it seems to be spot on with my Lyman check weights. All six sets of reloading scales I have seem to be close enough for our purpose but most do vary slightly over the range. Next time I have my 3100 out I will check both ways to zero.

If you don't have a weight set find several bullets that cover most of the weight range and compare the results of all the scales in the house and pick the best. I would probably keep one of each myself.

The 3100 and 304 scales do seem like a good idea but could it be that they are a little complicated and a bit of overkill for our purpose? That said I still like having one, just because.

Boolit Buddy
    Well, I suppose the 304 would be easier to read because the dial is only used for tenths of a grain, while the dial on the 3100 is used for both ones and tenths. Perhaps they are overkill but like you I like having one (or two) "just because".

Boolit Buddy
    + My scale is like many have previously stated giving different readings of the same charge. the same three grain charge may read 2.8 - 3.2 grains. I now do not trust it. Can not get zero to be consistant.
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian" Henry Ford

Boolit Buddy
    How long has it been since you cleaned the agates?

Boolit Buddy
    One of the first things i did. Looked to make sure if I could see any damge to surfaces. to my inexperianced eyes all looked good, but I did have an small object (small roll of electrical tape) fall off a shelf, landing on ballanc beam.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by huntnman View Post
    One of the first things i did. Looked to make sure if I could see any damge to surfaces. to my inexperianced eyes all looked good, but I did have an small object (small roll of electrical tape) fall off a shelf, landing on ballanc beam.
    Sorry 'bout that.

The vee blocks are most likely to be either broken or undamaged; your's are probably not broken.

Your symptoms suggest you have a banged up pivot bar knife edge. I don't believe those sharpened steel edges are hardened so even a modest impact can dull the critical knife edges; meaning the knife edges may be flattened (dulled) a bit. If so, the broad faced - i.e., dull - knife edges sitting in the vee blocks will slightly shift the beam's balance point left or right and small variations of indicated zero and weight like your's will be a fact of life until it's corrected.

It's possible that a careful craftsman could hand sharpen the dulled edge(s) properly but it would be difficult. Best solution would be to have the scale maker re-grind both of your beam's knife edges so they are sharp AND precisely aligned.

Moderator Emeritus

I have had an Ohaus Dial-a-grain since the very early 1970s.... bion the scales which replaced a Redding simple balance beam (which I still have, too). I have a couple of electronic scales now, ranging from a low-priced Dillon Determinator to a fairly high end RCBS. The Dial-a-grain is my "Mr. Reliable!!!" and I wouldn't part with it for most anything! Complementing both Lyman and RCBS check weight kits I have a few small, cut pieces of paper clips and fine solder -- meticulously cut to a perfect for task weight -- which I regularly will then transfer to one of the other scales as a "check" for them.
    Other than the paper scale put on, I believe all of the similar ones are indeed the same unit. Only difference I've ever noticed is that some are calibrated in grams rather than grains; others have a sliding beam with a weight rather than the knob.
    geo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast