RepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWidenersLoad Data
Titan Reloading

Thread: NOE 225-46-WFN - Want to try

Boolit Man

NOE 225-46-WFN - Want to try

I need better performance in squirrels than the round nose on my Ideal 225438 is giving me, so I would like to try out this NOE bullet to see if it is accurate enough in my gun before I spend $90-130 on a mold. I would like 100-200 bullets (I may get lucky the first batch or two, or maybe not, you know how it is).

I can buy or trade. I have molds in 458 (400 & 300gr), 452 (200gr), 358 (158gr), 356 (124gr & 90gr), 311 (dont remember weight), and 22 (45gr & 55gr bator mold)

Boolit Bub
    Are you still looking for the NOE 225-46-WFN? I have the mold and some cast up. Mine are the gas checked version, but what I can supply are not checked, sized or lubed. The alloy is range scrap with some added tin.

What I can tell you is they don't feed in My CZ 527 .22 Hornet or my Howa mini action .222. I bought the mold to try to duplicate .22 LR performance in these two rifles with the thought I might hollow point them with a Forster HP tool, but never got around to trying it after I found I had to manually single load them in my two rifles.

Also, I never achieved great accuracy with either rifle, probably due to alignment issues that might require a seater stem to match the boolit shape.

If you still want to try some, I will trade boolit for boolit for your 225438.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by GBCAPT View Post
    Are you still looking for the NOE 225-46-WFN? I have the mold and some cast up. Mine are the gas checked version, but what I can supply are not checked, sized or lubed. The alloy is range scrap with some added tin.

What I can tell you is they don't feed in My CZ 527 .22 Hornet or my Howa mini action .222. I bought the mold to try to duplicate .22 LR performance in these two rifles with the thought I might hollow point them with a Forster HP tool, but never got around to trying it after I found I had to manually single load them in my two rifles.

Also, I never achieved great accuracy with either rifle, probably due to alignment issues that might require a seater stem to match the boolit shape.

If you still want to try some, I will trade boolit for boolit for your 225438.
    Yeah, I'd love to do the trade! If I can get good accuracy then I may be willing to purchase the mold if you are willing to sell it. It would take me some time to find a good load though, I know from the 225438 that the gas checked and lubed has done the best for me, so I'll first need to procure some of those.

I also have the lee bator mold at around 52gr; it is short enough to stabilize, but I havent gotten great accuracy from it. Again, that may be due to lack of gas checks and lube; I had been trying powder coating on that mold. When I tried that with the 225438 the results were not good.

I'm not worried about feeding; it is for my single shot break action, so I have to manually feed anyway Currently, I have been filing the tips off the 225438's to get good squirrel performance AND good accuracy at the same time.

How many are you wanting to trade? I can see doing 200+ to make sure we have plenty to make different adjustments and then have a few to actually load up. As I said, I can do the 225438 or the lee bator mold, and I can do soft lead or harder lead (around 5% antimony) or inbetween.

Boolit Master

The NOE 225-46-WFN is capable of in excess of 2600 FPS when gas checked and powder coated or gas checked and Hi-tech coated with good accuracy out of a bench rest rifle. The NOE 225-46-WFN is capable of considerably less when gas checked and conventionally lubricated. Do consider learning how to apply these coatings.

I believe I might have a few of these around still to play with. Not many, just a few and due to my recent move I won't be able to make any more any time soon. I want to try them in 22 Hornet. Do consider trying some with the more modern high performance coatings if you would be willing to learn how to coat your own.

Boolit Master

I've been waiting for a rerun of the 2x2 of this mold, 2gc and 2 pb to add to my molds.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by BrassMagnet View Post
    The NOE 225-46-WFN is capable of in excess of 2600 FPS when gas checked and powder coated or gas checked and Hi-tech coated with good accuracy out of a bench rest rifle. The NOE 225-46-WFN is capable of considerably less when gas checked and conventionally lubricated. Do consider learning how to apply these coatings.

I believe I might have a few of these around still to play with. Not many, just a few and due to my recent move I won't be able to make any more any time soon. I want to try them in 22 Hornet. Do consider trying some with the more modern high performance coatings if you would be willing to learn how to coat your own.
    I used a few of these cast by BrassMagnet. I had some issues with the hi-tech coating in 221 Fireball, so I stripped them and powder coated them. My daughter loaded them and shot them in our 221 FB bench rest rifle and at 2700+ fps (verified velocity) she was shooting dime and nickle sized groups. I also shot a few offhand in a Savage 22 Hornet and was please with them.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by mattw View Post
    I used a few of these cast by BrassMagnet. I had some issues with the hi-tech coating in 221 Fireball, so I stripped them and powder coated them. My daughter loaded them and shot them in our 221 FB bench rest rifle and at 2700+ fps (verified velocity) she was shooting dime and nickle sized groups. I also shot a few offhand in a Savage 22 Hornet and was please with them.
    I overheated the hi-tech coating because the blue came out green. My little toaster oven just wasn't up to the temperature control requirements of the hi-tech. Hi-tech needs convection bake for the best results!

Boolit Bub
    Spudgunner,

I got down my stash and have 300 of the NOE 225-45-WFN set out if you want them. My note on the container shows that I sized them with my NOE .225 push thru sizer but had no checks in stock at the time. They are clean and were degreased after sizing.

They were cast with range scrap with some added tin to get good fillout. They were visually inspected but not weight sorted. I have not tested the hardness.

If you want any or all of the 300 I will trade them for an equal quantity of the 225438s plain, unsized, no lube.

I will be gone tomorrow, but you can send me a P.M. with your address and I can probably get them in the mail on Thursday if you like.

I don't need the 225438s immediately - traveling most of July - but would like to have them by August.

Let me know!

Boolit Bub
    Spudgunr,

As per our PMs 300 NOE 225-45-WFN should be at your address by today (Sat 06/25). Let me know what you think and your results! Headed out for vacation on Wednesday thru mid-July so may not have full internet access until I return.