RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad DataTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Wideners Repackbox

Thread: Small pot suggestions

Boolit Master

Small pot suggestions

I am looking for suggestions for a very small container to melt a few pounds of lead in.

Just enough to sink a thermometer and thermocouple in.
    I’ll heat it on my Coleman stove, sitting on some flat plate (cake pan probably).

I am planning on trying some pure lead to check calibration on my instruments since they do not agree with each other and I have no certified test gear to reference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    There's not much trick to holding lead, the temperatures involved aren't high and liquid metal embrittlement shouldn't be an issue so long as your container is not highly stressed. Most casting pots are just steel or cast iron.

I would consider getting a metal 1-cup measuring cup to be high end. Low end, just burn the polymer lining out of a steel soup can and use that. Be careful with the choice of can, some fruit cans have zinc plating on the interior.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    --BattleRife

Northern Virginia, where the freeway does roam.
    The one quart stainless steel saucepans can be had from Walmart for about $7.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BattleRife View Post

I would consider getting a metal 1-cup measuring cup to be high end. Low end, just burn the polymer lining out of a steel soup can and use that. Be careful with the choice of can, some fruit cans have zinc plating on the interior.
    I have 6” probes so looking for something tall(ish)

I had thought soup can, grabbed a few out of the bin.
    Cut my 5lb pure plumbers lead ingot in half to fit and put it in the stove.
    Then wondered if they are still soldered?
    My cans were 2 different designs, one with a seam on the side.

Pulled it off and decided to research.
    I might try later with a full catch pan on the stove in case the can fails.

Boolit Grand Master

Tall and small isn’t common in a pot or pan. Most like their high temperature liquids in something more stable.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master

I like tall and narrow pots for casting also. I have bought mine at thrift stores although the new ones aren't usually too expensive. To find the perfect pot you might try a restaurant supply store. Expect to pay a little more there.
    Good luck!
    Rick

When I first started casting I used old vegetable cans on the kitchen stove. The solder joint did give out after a short time. But with the new cans today you can probably find one without the solder joint. Or go to the goodwill store and find an old stainless pot that will work.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    A suggestion is to try a piece of pipe with a pipe cap on one end. That way you could choose exactly the height and diameter to suit your purpose. A little welding, if available, will help to make it more stable and add handles.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for all the suggestions. This is only for occasional use to try to check calibration of temperature measuring devices. I have other pots, big burners and 2 Lee 4-20’s for real use.
    Not even sure if my calibration idea will work.

I tried a seamless can, burnt off the plastic liner.
    But using a catch pan in case the can failed limited heat transfer and the lead barely melted.
    I had split a 5lb plumbers ingot in half and stuck them in the can. I used my torch to melt the upper ingot and then stuck my analog thermometer into the melt, which cooled and froze the thermometer in place. 20 minutes later on the stove it melted just enough for me to remove the thermometer and regroup.

Can in pan on Coleman stove. Doesn’t help that the pan is warped and only a small part of the rim of the can was touching.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    A suggestion is to try a piece of pipe with a pipe cap on one end. That way you could choose exactly the height and diameter to suit your purpose. A little welding, if available, will help to make it more stable and add handles.
    A friend made my pot out of a cut off Fordson tractor cylinder liner, with a round piece of 3/8" plate for the bottom - the latter was scrap from when a round hole was cut in a sheet. Plus handles. Later, another friend put a strip of extra metal around the bottom plate to ensure complete coverage of my electric element.
    It'll be handy if I never need it.

Insomniac, agnostic, dyslectic - awake all night wondering if there is a Dog.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by mjwcaster View Post
    Thanks for all the suggestions. This is only for occasional use to try to check calibration of temperature measuring devices. I have other pots, big burners and 2 Lee 4-20’s for real use.
    Not even sure if my calibration idea will work.

I tried a seamless can, burnt off the plastic liner.
    But using a catch pan in case the can failed limited heat transfer and the lead barely melted.
    I had split a 5lb plumbers ingot in half and stuck them in the can. I used my torch to melt the upper ingot and then stuck my analog thermometer into the melt, which cooled and froze the thermometer in place. 20 minutes later on the stove it melted just enough for me to remove the thermometer and regroup.

Can in pan on Coleman stove. Doesn’t help that the pan is warped and only a small part of the rim of the can was touching.

Put a 1/4 inch of lead in the pan to transfer the heat.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    Put a 1/4 inch of lead in the pan to transfer the heat.
    That is kind of my plan. I just need to empty one of my pots a bit, it has a couple inches of lead I it now, probably enough to float the can.
    It’s my old casting pot, now my preheat pot for the 4-20’s.

Moderator Emeritus

I'd go to a Salvation Army or similar thrift store and seek out an old percolator/stove-top coffee maker. The ones I've seen are rather heavy stainless; have handles; and... surely are both tall enough as well as durable enough for casting purposes.
    My thoughts....
    Good luck!
    geo

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 358429 View Post
    The one quart stainless steel saucepans can be had from Walmart for about $7.
    Or the same from a thrift store for $2.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Grand Master

A steel schedule 80 pipe cap in 3" should do all you want. you want the weld n version no threads inside. We made ladles out of them at work. good and heavy steel. cupped bottom, Are probably available at Mc Masters Carr or Graingers.

A salvaged 1 lb propane tanks could be cut off to make one but would have to be vented and cleaned before cutting.

I recently purchased this from amazon and it is perfect for a small ingot or two, search for “ Victoria Cast Iron Sauce Pan. 0.45qt Sauce Pot Seasoned with 100% Kosher Certified Non-GMO Flaxseed Oil.”
    The psychologist said I’m normal, and gave me paperwork to prove it.

Boolit Bub
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pour pot 1.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	17.6 KB 
ID:	293180Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pour pot handle.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	15.8 KB 
ID:	293181

I was at a sale a couple of weeks ago & thought about buying this for lead melting but didn't. Do you want me to see if he still has it? It's sitting next to a Lee 10lb pot if your trying to figure size