Reloading EverythingRepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
WidenersInline FabricationSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stopping a Grizzly with a 220 Swift and Other Legendary Frank Glaser Tales

Boolit Grand Master

Stopping a Grizzly with a 220 Swift and Other Legendary Frank Glaser Tales

https://www.outdoorlife.com/adventur...zBnHw0HJNaZHD8

The .220 Swift was Frank Glaser's favorite rifle for all things except grizzly bears, but at times it had to handle them too

BY TYLER FREEL | UPDATED DEC 3, 2021 7:17 PM

Shortly after arriving in Alaska, thirsty for adventure that I could have only dreamed of before, I devoured what published tales I could find from those who came before me. Alaska’s history is full of tough, savvy, and notable characters, but Frank Glaser stood out among all the rest. His 40 years of adventure in Alaska were immortalized in the pages of Outdoor Life through the writings of Jim Rearden, and later in the book Alaska’s Wolf Man. As he was described to Rearden shortly after their first meeting, Glaser was “an old timer that old timers respect.” He was a market hunter, wolf trapper, wildlife researcher, and expert outdoorsman (you can read more about that in my feature story on following the tracks of the Wolf Man).

B.C. Angler Releases 105-Pound Chinook Salmon That Could’ve Been a World Record
    What’s less-known about Glaser is that he was a big-time cartridge nerd. In the mid-to-late 1930s, he made so much money trapping fox in November that he bought every new rifle and cartridge that showed up at the sporting good’s store in Fairbanks. He put them to hard use too. His darling, however, was the .220 Swift. In Glaser’s words, Rearden writes:

“In the late 1930s and into the 1940s I had a Winchester Model 70 .220 Swift, and killed everything with it—moose, grizzly bear, caribou, sheep. However, the little 48-grain bullet didn’t perform well on grizzlies. But with a lung shot on hoofed game the Swift killed quicker than any other gun I ever owned.”

Stopping a Grizzly
    Many of the same stories in Rearden’s 1998 book were first written in the pages of Outdoor Life in the mid 1950s. I thought it was worth resurrecting the following two Glaser stories because they’re iconic tales that haven’t been carried into the digital age, and also because it’s interesting to note that even back in the day, serious outdoorsmen were fascinated with pet cartridges like the .220 Swift. An epitaph to Glaser in the July 1975 issue of Outdoor Life included a close call that Glaser and his Swift shared with a grizzly bear. As detailed in the book, Glaser had been on a solo wolf control trip in the Alaska Range, hunting and trapping wolves:

“On September 23 I returned to where I had set some traps at the entrance of a ground squirrel’s hole high in a saddle in the sheep hills northwest of my cabin. One of my wolf traps was gone with its log toggle, which had been buried. I thought I had caught a wolf. The nearest willows were about a mile away, and I thought the wolf had gone down there with the trap and toggle. I expected to find him tangled among the willows.

I lit out down the hill. Here and there I saw where the toggle had struck the moss. I reached the edge of the willows, and ahead I could see where the wolf had gone into the willows, and I started that way.

I had the surprise of my life when a big sow grizzly burst out of the willows about 15 feet away. She was shaking her head, growling, and bounding toward me. I quickly fired my .220 Swift, hitting her in the body. The 48-grain bullet slowed her, but she kept coming. I backed up and shot again. She kept coming. The bear slowed with each shot as I continued to shoot, but she kept moving and kept absorbing bullets. After dodging the bear several times and doing a lot of leaping and shooting, I finally dropped the animal with my eleventh shot. It fell scarcely a rifle’s length away. I hated to shoot the old girl but had no choice.

The Swift is a good wolf rifle, and I was hunting wolves, not bears. I had been trying to avoid grizzlies. I had previously killed a couple of grizzlies with it but picked my shots carefully. Moose and caribou I killed with the Swift dropped quickly and a lung shot, especially, was lethal.

I sat on the bear and took a pinch of Copenhagen snuff to steady my nerves. After a time, when my heart had quit racing, I skinned the bear, then set some wolf traps around the carcass. Wolves love grizzly meat.”

Frank Glaser and a Grizzly Hide
    Frank Glaser with the hide from one of many grizzlies he took. Photo from “Boxed with a Bear” by Jim Rearden in Outdoor Life, April 1954
    The Teller Wolf
    Another tale involved a single wolf that had killed at least 52 reindeer while Glaser spent weeks trying to kill it. He considered it the only one he ever encountered that was superbly clever and on-par with some of the legendary livestock killers of the Old West. Wolves had been ravaging the reindeer herd near Teller, AK in the mid 1940’s, and Glaser had been able to put a serious dent in them using poison baits. However, he encountered the aftermath of a single wolf with a crippled foot that was too smart to fall for any of that. The wolf had the herders as spooked as it did the reindeer. It preferred to slip in and kill during the frequent heavy blizzards, then return safely to the mountains. His encounter is detailed in Chapter 28 of Alaska’s Wolf Man, titled “The Teller Wolf”:

“I stayed in the herder’s cabin near the reindeer herd and didn’t sleep well but lay awake off and on most of the night as the wind rocked the little hut. I suspected the lone wolf would kill again during the blizzard.

The wind let up somewhat toward morning, the sky partially cleared, and there was fair light from the moon. Well before dawn I decided to slip out to the herd to see if the wolf had been there, so I put on my reindeer parka and sealskin pants, got on my snowshoes and started off, my rifle over my shoulder.

The wind was still gusting. Sometimes wind-blown snow blotted out everything; other times it would die, and the moon gave enough light so I could see pretty well. As I neared the herd the wind picked up a bit. Through the blowing snow I saw a dark blob. It was just coming light, and as I got to the blob I saw it was a dead reindeer, still warm, its bloody stomach and entrails strung out behind it. Wolf tracks, still visible in the swirling snow, told me all I needed to know. The crippled wolf had killed again and it was somewhere near.

The wolf’s tracks went upwind, and I figured it was hunting for another reindeer. I unslung my .220 Swift and followed. The tracks were clear and fresh. I could see about 20 feet ahead through the flying storm. After a hundred yards of cautious walking, I found another dead reindeer, also still warm. The wolf had killed it moments earlier.

Frank Glaser Wolf Story
    Frank Glaser was an expert “wolfer”. A photo of Glaser’s story “Habits of Death” in Outdoor Life. January 1955

From that dead deer I followed the wolf tracks up a knoll, not even able to hear my snowshoes creak in the gusting wind and swirling snow. When I reached the top of the knoll, ahead of me perhaps 30 yards I saw a moving, dim shape. It stopped, apparently to stare at me, and then it moved again. It was too small to be a reindeer, but in the blowing snow I couldn’t see what it was.

As it started to disappear into the storm, I suddenly realized it had to be the lone wolf I was seeking. I pushed the safety off my rifle as I lifted it to my shoulder, then centered the scope on the vague, moving blur. I snapped a Hail Mary shot at the blur, knowing my chance of connecting was small.

The movement stopped, and the blur remained in one place as I ran toward it, working the bolt, hoping for another shot. It wasn’t needed. My first shot had connected, and the wolf lay dead before me.”

Glaser’s stories told by Rearden, and in Alaska’s Wolf Man, forever link Glaser and the .220 Swift, and elevate that cartridge to an almost mythic status. It’s interesting to me that many of the old timers like Glaser weren’t all that different from the diehard hunters of today. They had a passion for hunting, guns, and cartridges. They sought out the new and interesting, and put it to the test. Most importantly, they lived their own adventures, and their knowledge was based on real experience.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    Thank you. That was great.
    Rule 303

Boolit Grand Master
    I stopped reading after the grizzly story. Seems like total BS to me. Ever seen how quick a bear covers 15 ft? And he fires at it 11 times with a M70 with a hinged floor plate...so after he emptied the gun, he either put a round in after every shot or had the time to load up five more into the magazine. While jumping and dodging a bear. Ever see a bear deal with hunting dogs? Yea....sure...

There are a lot of stupid people in the world who believe stuff like this. And a lot of ignorant people who do not know any better.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    +1 on the BS (Big Story). Couldn’t finish it either.

Boolit Master
    So...

...do any of you skeptics believe that the then World Record Grizzly Bear was killed in 1953 with a single shot .22?
    ...and a .22 Long cartridge?
    ...by a woman?

https://www.ammoland.com/2017/06/bel...zzly-and-more/

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bowfin View Post
    So...

...do any of you skeptics believe that the then World Record Grizzly Bear was killed in 1953 with a single shot .22?
    ...and a .22 Long cartridge?
    ...by a woman?

https://www.ammoland.com/2017/06/bel...zzly-and-more/
    Are you saying you believe the guy shot a bear 15 ft away 11 times with a bolt action rifle??
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    I stopped reading after the grizzly story. Seems like total BS to me. Ever seen how quick a bear covers 15 ft? And he fires at it 11 times with a M70 with a hinged floor plate...so after he emptied the gun, he either put a round in after every shot or had the time to load up five more into the magazine. While jumping and dodging a bear. Ever see a bear deal with hunting dogs? Yea....sure...

There are a lot of stupid people in the world who believe stuff like this. And a lot of ignorant people who do not know any better.
    Evidently you failed to comprehend the part about the bear being caught in a wolf trap, probably connected by a fairly short length of chain to a log section used as a drag. People ignorant about trapping shouldn't try to compare a bear bayed by a dog pack to the lesser mobility of one caught in a leghold trap, trying to pull a heavy log drag through a willow thicket. (It makes them look stupid)
    An old Cherokee was teaching his grandson about life. "Inside me two wolves fight," he told the boy.
    "One is evil - he is anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity, resentment, lies, false pride, and ego. The other is good - he is joy, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, generosity, truth and faith. The same fight is inside you - and every other person, too."
    The grandson thought for a minute and asked,"Which wolf will win?"
    The old Cherokee replied, "The one you feed."

Boolit Grand Master
    Bella Twin; one of my favorite stories.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by RoyEllis View Post
    Evidently you failed to comprehend the part about the bear being caught in a wolf trap, probably connected by a fairly short length of chain to a log section used as a drag. People ignorant about trapping shouldn't try to compare a bear bayed by a dog pack to the lesser mobility of one caught in a leghold trap, trying to pull a heavy log drag through a willow thicket. (It makes them look stupid)
    You had to point out the fine details that some overlook , I was enjoying the doubting thomas commentary , but you had to point out what they overlooked in their reading .

Anyone who lived as that man did and where he did lived enough adventure as it was every day out there .

Banned
    i seem to remember seeing an ad that told me either a Eskimo or some other native american woman killed a grizzly with the 30-30. i think it was a world record for awhile.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by todd9.3x57 View Post
    i seem to remember seeing an ad that told me either a Eskimo or some other native american woman killed a grizzly with the 30-30. i think it was a world record for awhile.

Bella Twin, the .22 Used to Take the 1953 World Record Grizzly. It was free roaming and not in a wolf trap like the Glaser bear.

https://www.ammoland.com/2017/06/bel...#axzz7F9Lz6CpD
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyEllis View Post
    Well I know nothing about a “log toggle”. Whatever the trap was anchored to was small enough that this guy figured a wolf dragged it one mile into the willows. Doubt it weighed 200 lbs...but??

Just seems hard to believe something a wolf could drag that far, would be large enough to significantly hamper the charge of a large bear from 15 ft. But my experience is limited to black bears wounded by gunshots.

So you could be right. The guy was able to leap and dodge away from a big sow grizzly while emptying his rifle and reloading five more rounds. Luckily he had enough gun and the impact energy drove the bear back with every hit.

I am not brave. If the bear was so encumbered that she could not catch me in the first 15 ft, after I ran out of rounds, I would turn and run as fast as I could to get the hell away before trying to single load a M70. Maybe that is what he did...and left that part out of the story. Again...it may have happened...but seems at best exaggerated.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    If the bear was hampered by the trap then the description is a bit off.

"She was shaking her head, growling, and bounding toward me"

That sounds like an bear that is moving at speed, not one whose leg is caught in a trap and dragging a good size log.

Boolit Grand Master

"I had the surprise of my life when a big sow grizzly burst out of the willows about 15 feet away. She was shaking her head, growling, and bounding toward me. I quickly fired my .220 Swift, hitting her in the body. The 48-grain bullet slowed her, but she kept coming. I backed up and shot again. She kept coming. The bear slowed with each shot as I continued to shoot, but she kept moving and kept absorbing bullets. After dodging the bear several times and doing a lot of leaping and shooting, I finally dropped the animal with my eleventh shot. It fell scarcely a rifle’s length away. I hated to shoot the old girl but had no choice."

Not exactly "stopping"........

Considering the bear had a trap on a leg and a log anchor on the chain and he had to reload the rifle at least twice to shoot 11 rounds I'd say he was very fortunate griz was considerably slowed down by the trap....... Otherwise, if it isn't a tall tale, he wouldn't have been around to tell the tale.......
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Just love the old Alaskan sourdough stories. Like all hunting tales a little embellishment might have creeped in, but still an interesting read.

Shoot. Run away. Shoot again. Run away. Shoot some more. Not real likely but definitely possible. Most would just soil their drawers and become bear food, this guy solo hunted wolf packs before the advent of search and rescue. He might be better at this stuff than we are...
    "Give me liberty, or give me death!" Patrick Henry ,March 23, 1775

Boolit Grand Master
    There are many people who think the 220 Swift is a fine cartridge
    Vincent Doughtery, Elmer Keith to name a few
    Hunting stories are interesting especially harrowing nerve defying ones
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Shawlerbrook View Post
    Just love the old Alaskan sourdough stories. Like all hunting tales a little embellishment might have creeped in, but still an interesting read.
    And I'm sure he was paying strict attention to every detail that went down - NOT! Of course there are 'embellishments' - that is how memory works, it is re-creative, not photographic.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Grand Master

There may be some "embellishments" to the stories, but I have no doubt that the Swift is capable of dropping a Griz. P.O. Ackley used a number of 17 caliber rifles to take game with. Roy Weatherby's very first wildcat was the 220 Weatherby Rocket which is a souped up 220 Swift. I have pushed 55 grain bullets over 4200 FPS through mine and have taken more than a few hogs, goats and feral sheep with mine. It along with my 17 Remington kill all out of proportion to their miniscule size.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by stubshaft View Post
    ............. I have no doubt that the Swift is capable of dropping a Griz. ................. It along with my 17 Remington kill all out of proportion to their miniscule size.
    sez the guy with the 50 Alaskan as his avatar

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast