Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad DataWideners
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .350 Legend Bullet diameter?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by P Flados View Post
    I have one of the 357AR max guns pioneered by Moleman. I am a longtime 357 Max shooter. I followed the 350L closely when it first came out.

I have pondered the 0355" choice at length.

There are two explanations that actually make a little sense.

The 350L case is bigger at the base than the 223 and it is just long enough so that it is not practical to convert 223 brass to 350L. Now Winchester is all about selling 350L ammo and guns to hunters much more so than supporting the small fraction that reload. However, there was probably some consideration for reloading. Although many end users are not thrilled about the inability to convert 223 cases, it reduces the potential for the cartridge from getting a bad reputation from folks doing a poor job converting cases and then badmouthing the round. It also reduces the potential for stupid legal action when someone blow up a gun or gets hurt using converted cases. And thirdly, it had the potential to help sell more Winchester factory ammo and/or Winchester reloading components (the 350L was developed before the current ammo supply crisis).

The second potential reason is more likely to have been an actual consideration. The 357AR Max can be pretty tricky to get set up for proper feeding of the ammo into the chamber. The 350L has much more taper to the case and seems to be more forgiving in this regard. To increase the taper, they increased the case diameter just ahead of the rim. However, the amount of increase available to the designers was limited given that too much would affect how the round works with AR-15 style magazines. Going with 0.355" bullets in lieu of 0.358" bullets helped Winchester get more taper on the case without increasing the base diameter more than they wanted. I actually think the increase in case taper has been a big plus for getting the round to feed acceptably in the AR-15 platform.
    Both of those make much more sense than the company line they are feeding us.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Quote Originally Posted by P Flados View Post
    I have one of the 357AR max guns pioneered by Moleman. I am a longtime 357 Max shooter. I followed the 350L closely when it first came out.

I have pondered the 0355" choice at length.

There are two explanations that actually make a little sense.

The 350L case is bigger at the base than the 223 and it is just long enough so that it is not practical to convert 223 brass to 350L. Now Winchester is all about selling 350L ammo and guns to hunters much more so than supporting the small fraction that reload. However, there was probably some consideration for reloading. Although many end users are not thrilled about the inability to convert 223 cases, it reduces the potential for the cartridge from getting a bad reputation from folks doing a poor job converting cases and then badmouthing the round. It also reduces the potential for stupid legal action when someone blow up a gun or gets hurt using converted cases. And thirdly, it had the potential to help sell more Winchester factory ammo and/or Winchester reloading components (the 350L was developed before the current ammo supply crisis).

The second potential reason is more likely to have been an actual consideration. The 357AR Max can be pretty tricky to get set up for proper feeding of the ammo into the chamber. The 350L has much more taper to the case and seems to be more forgiving in this regard. To increase the taper, they increased the case diameter just ahead of the rim. However, the amount of increase available to the designers was limited given that too much would affect how the round works with AR-15 style magazines. Going with 0.355" bullets in lieu of 0.358" bullets helped Winchester get more taper on the case without increasing the base diameter more than they wanted. I actually think the increase in case taper has been a big plus for getting the round to feed acceptably in the AR-15 platform.

Great points.

For anyone that has the 350Legend, MidwayUSA.com seems to have Hornady 350L bullets in stock.

When this round came out, I figured the reloaders and Bullet Casters would really like it. But, I like the 375Winchester—-not many bullets for it, either.

Banned
    didn't david white have some .358" 350 legend barrels?

350 legend isn't fer me. i'm going on 49yo and have no 9mm(.355") and no need to buy one. if the 350L works for you, fine. i'll stay with my win m94 in 35/30(JES Reboring).

an older thread
    https://www.shootersforum.com/thread.../#post-2196985

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I have to admit, a rifle length A2 style upper in .350 would be kind of tempting.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Winchester has historically offered odd bullet diameter cartridges ( .427"(44-40), .348", .277", .351, etc.... nothing new here.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Winchester has historically offered odd bullet diameter cartridges ( .427"(44-40), .348", .277", .351, etc.... nothing new here.

Don't forget the 223 WSSM - was it 400 round barrel life? D.O.A, from what I have read.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Boolit Bub
    I just finished a 350 Legend AR build. My Stoner AR barrel slugs out to 0.357”. I have at least 6 .357 molds so sizing them to .358” and finding one to chamber and feed is my next challenge. My next task is to load .357” jacketed bullets and test for function and accuracy. If that fails .355” fmj is next. This is going to be really fun, and a great learning project.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post

Very true!
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Buddy
    I’m having trouble understanding why anybody on a cast bullet list has any problem, doubt or hesitation with the 350 Legend. This is exactly what a sizer die is for. All my 35 cast get a 356 squeeze and work great in the Legend. Winchester only screwed the non casting reloaders. I’m po’d I can’t form brass from the buckets of 223 I have. I’m over it. Walmart $9.97 factory ammo before the shortages and I’m off and running.

What boolits are you using in the .350?

Boolit Master

In cast, I like the RCBS/LEE/NOE/MP 200g FP. (HP in MP)

But The excellent Ranch Dog profiles also are a solid design as a hunting bullet. 175 & 190g weights. MP makes a 220hp version of the 200g RCBS and in a HP (very small) designed for rifle use is about perfect as a cast hunting bullet.

In jacketed Hornady 165 FTX & Drnnis FURY 170g bullets are awesome!!

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I was completely unaware Lee made a .35 caliber rifle boolit. Now I'm getting even more tempted, I'm already set up to size for 9mm. What kind of loads do you use with the 200 grain slug?

Boolit Master

I find it beast about 17-1750 fps a number of powders can get ya there.

Mt fav bullet is a MP 358-200 & the MP 359-220 HP. Both the LEE & NOE copies of the RCBS carry more appealing(as a hunter) meplat. Both shoot and prefrom very well in all the 35's.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Dang it, now I'm wanting one!

Have a 350 legend bear creek upper, only shot jacked out of it so far. Had to pull a Winchester 145gr fmj (dud). .355. Have not slugged the barrel yet.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Moleman- View Post
    That's the game winchester is playing so the 350L was legal to use in Iowa which required a .357" projectile. From the SAAMI specs they can say .357" is within "spec" and never make a .357" bullet for it. From the specs .357" overlaps both the bullet and freebore dia. Generally you'll have at least .001" and usually .002" or more clearance in the freebore on production guns, not zero. Drop it down to .355" bullet diameter and a .357" freebore makes sense. Would you buy bullets from someone who told you the best tollerace they had on bullets was .000"/-.003"? I pulled some 180gr power point bullets which winchester says are .357". https://winchester.com/350-legend They were all .355" just the same as the .355" power points they sell for reloading. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1021525515 The deer will never know the difference, but it's just poor business ethics to state something that is easily proven incorrect.
    When the 350 Legend was announced as being legal for Ohio deer hunting with straight walled rifles, I sent an e-mail to the ODW head law enforcement officer asking how the required .357 minimum is being allowed with a cartridge listed as .355.
    The answer was it was within the SAAMI specs. Ohio never changed the listing from a minimum of .357 to .355
    WOW- just a case Bio Politics?

May ultimately depend on the attitude of the particular game warden you encounter. I wouldn't put too much faith in him/her going by the same standard.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12