RepackboxRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWidenersInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: shoes for bad feet

Boolit Master

shoes for bad feet

the soles of my feet have been very painful for over a year. less painful for several years. i am not a diabetic. several years ago i visited a podiatrist and had custom insoles made. that helps some. the question that i have is: has anyone had any help from wearing orthopedic shoes?? the shoes that work best for me are ones with a flexible sole. anything with a hard sole such as leather is awful. i have always spent a lot of $ for shoes, but that doesn't help any longer.

Boolit Master
    Have a similar issue and use custom insoles as well. Have had luck with shoes/boots that have removable insoles. I replace the factory insoles with the custom ones.

I'm still OK with the heavy duty Dr. Scholl's work shoe/boot inserts,
    but If I ever wear shoes that don't have a soft spongy sole--- it's only for a few minutes, and they too have cushion insoles.

And the days of buying cheap Walmart shoes are long gone.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

Hello There!
    I have a similar situation. I am diabetic and had my left leg bock about a year and a half ago with clots. I now have a bypass in my left leg shish is the vessel which came from my right arm. My left foot swells because of lack of circulation. I can' walk very well or very far now. The best fix I have found is buying my shoes a couple of sizes too big.
    I hope you find something which works better for you,
    Rick

Boolit Master
    Working on a concrete floor for 50 years took a toll my feet. It got to the place that hurting feet was all I could think about. I started wearing SAS or P J Minor orthopedic shoes. They will not cure worn out feet but it did make a big difference. What I needed was not a soft insole but proper support.

Since I retired in 2016 my feet and legs have improved, being able to set down when I pleased has helped a lot. My buddy and I have been doing a little woods roaming lately, can't do long distance but try to do 2-3 miles with a few pit stops. I bought a set of Merrell high top hiking shoes for that, they are stable and comfortable.

I really can't say what will help in your case but proper support can't hurt. I do hope you find some relief.

Boolit Buddy
    I have to wear very stiff soled boots or shoes with high arches. Danner brand works well for me. I have custom orthotic insoles which help sometimes but I don't do well wearing them day after day. My feet seem to appreciate a little something different every other day or so. I absolutely cannot tolerate soft, flexible soles as are found on Sketchers and most sneakers.

I've had similar issues. Tried the insoles and the shoes that had the most support that helped me were Red Wings. That same podiatrist removed bone spurs on each side of my heels and did the tendon release on the bottom of my feet. That involved detaching the achillies tendons and reattaching them with screws. Best thing I ever did even though I really regretted it at the time. Two surgeries, one foot at a time a month apart and after the last one he said it would be a full year before I walked without pain. He was right, went to physical therapy for 3 months to do more than waddle, Stepping down a 3 inch step was excruciating. Now I am glad I went through that and I don't have the pain I was putting up with before the surgery.
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823

Boolit Master
    I am on my feet all day every day, I am a restaurant manager. Little more than a year ago, my feet started hurting. Hurt to step for 5 or so minutes in the morning until the feet got worked out and as soon as I sat down after work and got up again they were painful. I started buying new shoes every 4 months instead of every 2 years. Found Sketchers Arch Fit shoes and I bought 3 pair. Far and away the best solution for my feet. KURU shoes are also designed specifically for folks with Plantar issues.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I get my shoes here, good quality.

https://www.healthyfeetstore.com/

If you buy off-the-rack orthotics, you are doing yourself more harm than good. I ran an orthotic lab for 15 years, made thousands of inserts. No two are the same. They must be made specifically for your feet, and that can only be done by having a cast of your foot done, and corrections made for how you stand and walk.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

Waksupi, my experience differs from yours. I have had two sets of the molded inserts, 30years apart. Neither worked any better than the $8.99 set of styrofoam like inserts that are available from a local orthopedist. The styrofoam type do eventually wear out but they work(ed for me) as well or better for me than the molded type.
    Last edited by William Yanda; 12-11-2021 at 09:16 PM.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Master

25+ years on a concrete shop floor have worn out my feet & knees. I used to wear Wolverine dura shock boots that were pretty comfortable. Been retired over 10 years now and just being off concrete has been a relief. The last few years the VA podiatrist has fixed me up with Doctor Comfort shoes that are really comfortable. Never heard of them before, but they work for me. Acupuncture works well for my knees. Hope you find something that gives you some relief.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    About 10 years ago, I had a custom pair of orthotics made, for about $400. They did work to make my feet feel better, but now at the advice of the foot doctor, I only wear Asics shoes and after only a few months with the orthotics, as long as I was wearing my Asics, I didn't need the orthotics anymore. I still have the expensive pair of orthotics, but they are on a shelf now and unused, and I always wear my Asics and am pain free. Before I discovered the Asics, I had frequent problems with plantar fasciitis. But no more.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

I have a very similar problem with my feet, I had custom insoles made 3 years ago, I could hardly walk due to pain. The insoles helped immensely. I’m in construction and have always wore Red Wings. Last year I bought a pair of Georgia Boots, they have a tag on the outside of the boot that says Made in USA. They have what they call Amp insoles. They are close to an inch thick and without a doubt the most comfortable shoe I’ve ever had. I don’t use the insoles any more. I bought a second pair to have for my dress shoes.

Boolit Master

I hear that one. Wore Redwing steel toes for 40 years. Nowadays all I can wear, comfortably are New Balance shoes one size bigger than I’ve worn my entire life.

Bad feet stink….not the smell, the lack of mobility…..

Art
    ”Only accurate rifles are interesting”
    ——Townsend Whelen

In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act
    —- George Orwell

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I am a diabetic of 55 years so am far past your issues with my feet - however - at one point I went through the custom orthotic inserts and my wife uses them to. I'll just say this - just because a "podiatrist" made them (our sent them out to be made) does not mean that they are 'good" or "correct". My wife just got a new pair through a company in Michigan that I have used for years for my leg braces. So far . . . they are working well and if not . . . . they expect to work with her until they do the job they are supposed to do. Not so in years past where both of us have had them made by "podiatrist", shoe stores, etc.

If your's aren't doing the job - then what does the podiatrist say about it who furnished them? Have they worked with you to make changes to them so they do the job they are supposed to?

For every set that my wife and I have had made over the last 40 years - each supplier claimed to "have the answer" and their's were the "best" available - basically snake oil salesmen who switched to selling inserts.

I fully understand your issues and it can be frustrating as a boil on your honey. I spent my entire working life on my feet and my wife, a retired teacher did as well. It takes its toll on your feet. Another issue is finding good shoes that will work for you. Unfortunately, not many are being made in this country anymore. I have to have a specific make and model to work with my leg braces for proper fit and support. They aren't cheap. I order them from a long time shoe store in Ann Arbor, MI that has been in business for years and they worked with me to find a shoe that would work. I called a couple of months ago to order another pair to have on hand - I get about six months out of them. No can get! It seems that they are now made in China - whoop! Ain't that a surprise. The shoe store checked with all of their distributors and there is not a oair to be had in the size I need. Obviously they must be on a ship off the coast of Kalifornia somewhere, held up in the "supply chain" that Biden claims we citizens are not smart enough to understand.

There are hard inserts, cushioned inserts, etc. - all are not created equal. Try finding a company in your area that works with medical devices for amputees, diabetics, etc. and talk with them about your issue and see if they can help you with inserts that will actually solve the issues you are having and who will stand behind them and keep working with you until they are right Hanger is a company that my podiatrist here in AZ recommended for me to go to for some work on my braces - my wife asked him if he had ever read the reviews for the company (they are a "chain" company and we have them back in Michigan as well. His answer was . . . "Well . . . no." My wife tole him that perhaps maybe he should since the several locations that we had already check on had even less that crappy reviews. Long story short - he is a typical podiatrist - he does "his thing" but is basically ignorant about many of the places and their reputations that he refers patients to. I have a friend who used to be my podiatrist for years - after he retired, I asked him about the "inserts" that so many of the podiatrists have available through their offices. His answer was simple. Many of them get set up with an insert supplier that furnishes them with the foam immersion boxes. They take the impressions in the office - manny times they are done by one of the girls in the office who really has no idea of foot issues or even how to take a correct impression mold - they are sent in and the inserts are sent back to the office when done and the patient (or his insurance) pays for them. If they don't work - yea . . . we'll build it up here or take a little off there and hope it works. There is a high mark-up all through the supply chain to the patient - once their insurance pays for a set of inserts - if they don't work they aren't going to pay for another pair. Kind of like if you buy your tires from Sears and you need to fill them with air - go to the Post Office to get your air. In Michigan, I use a company called Transcend (they bought out the company I used to use). They have trained technicians with degrees in their profession who make my leg braces and who have done my wife's inserts. If there is something that doesn't work just right or needs adjustment - whether it be my braces or my wife's inserts, they WANT you to come back as many times as necessary in order to correct the issue so that the device works as it should. Probably 35 years ago, they made a new set of inserts for me and I was back maybe five times as they worked on them to adjust them so I had no paining my feet and no danger of skin breakdown and sores. I was in one day to have them take a look at them and the tech just removed them from my shoes and told me that he was going to throw them and we were going to start over from scratch and he would try some different materials in the various cushion layers. He took new impressions and made a new set. After I got the new set, I think I went back one time for him to check them and make an adjustment and I had no more pain. Those are the kind of companies you want to be dealing with.

Moderator Emeritus

My feet like the Propet Scandia M5015.
    https://www.innovateistore.com/prope...hoe-clone.aspx

It's a diabetic shoe, it has a leather upper, but is very soft leather and very flexible. The rubber sole is flexible and cushiony.
    They are made for old men who don't do much rigorous activities, so they don't last long if you use them for more than a House shoe and maybe casual shopping and running errands. I always put on my work boots for working in the garage or Garden or any other rigorous activity.
    Now, I'm not a diabetic (yet), but I have diabetic symptoms, like foot numbness (the beginning of peripheral neuropathy), and some burning type pain and tenderness, if I abuse my feet ...and these shoes help a lot.

To the OP, I'm not sure what your foot issue is? maybe time to seek another podiatrist who can give you a good diagnosis.
    Last edited by JonB_in_Glencoe; 12-10-2021 at 01:05 PM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Danner Vital Trail. I only wear leather for welding now. Soft cushioned footbed, flexible sole with traction, half the weight of leather, half the price.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Grand Master

The soles of my 72 year old feet have hurt for years ... I've tried Dr. Scholls foam and jell inserts to make things softer but nothing really worked . Not tried foot Dr. .. what I did do was I by a pair of every day lace up shoes from Skechers ... they are called Sketch-Air Memory Foam shoes
    with Air- cooled Memory Foam built into the insole ... perforated dual - lite footbed , conforms to foot shape . It is the most comfortable shoe I own ...the inside is like a pillow , soft and comfortable ... your feet sort of nestle down in the softness ...I call them walking on pillows .
    I can walk all day in it . I liked the shoes so well that I ordered a second pair ... If they stop making this comfy shoe I would have cried . I have them in my closet just in case my first pair wears out .
    Something else is these have plenty of Toe Room ...shoes that pinch and cramp my toes are no good so look for room when you buy .

They seem to be called Venick - Romeno 65265/KHK 3574 Mens
    Sketchers still has a line of memory foam shoes .. I looked around a little , got bombarded with every shoe sale going on in the interweb and remembered how awful shopping for shoes on the computer is .
    Gary's advice ... Find something you like ... buy two !
    Gary

PS - I did a search on Venick - Romeno 65265/KHK and got a hit ... still in production and $72 from www.shoeline.com and Amazon too .
    I love this shoe ... Maybe I need to order another pair !

Never Mind ... they are Out of Stock ... I bet they aren't made any longer and they trick you to get you in the door ...nope , I'm not doing the bait and switch thing ... I got my second pair !
    Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 12-10-2021 at 03:38 PM. Reason: spelling : foam not foan
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Buddy
    I am on my feet for at least 10 hours a day at work, I have been wearing hoka bondi 7 they so far the only shoes that I can not come home and feel my feet all night. https://www.roadrunnersports.com/sea...roup%253ABlack

Boolit Man
    I too have had custom orthotics. They killed my feet as they were too hard. For gym shoes the Brooks beast shoes are what I wear and I really like a Carolina work boots as they feel like your walking on supported pillows.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast