Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWidenersLoad Data
Snyders JerkyRepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Progressive reloaders

Boolit Man

Progressive reloaders

OK being an old geezer at only 55 years old I have used a single stage press for smokeless reloading and a Lyman 310 for my BPCR loading for 35 years and I think it is time to try one of them nee fangled progressive presses. I reload 9mm, .357 Mag, 10mm, 10mm magnum (soon), 38-40, .410 GNR, .454 Casull and .480 Ruger presently. I am looking at the Dillon 550C or the 750. What accessories are needed along with these presses to get up and rolling out ammo? Pros and cons with these?

Since you reload, you likely have a tumbler of sorts, a way to separate the tumbling media etc. Progressives are not difficult to use unless you start wanting to churn out 600 rounds per hour like some claim to do. I'd run one round through at a time until you're completely familiar with every operation and "feel" of the case at every station. You can make a heap of bad ammo if you start too fast.

Regarding accessories... they're for women's wardrobes and tinkerers. I have two 550's and used them straight out of the box, IMO they need nothing unless you HAVE to tinker. Then depending on your upgrades you only have yourself to blame for issues

Since changeover of shell plates, primer tubes is again IMO somewhat of a pain, initially I'd limit myself to tool head changes and the same primer feeder sizes if possible, then you only have to concern yourself with setting dies up correctly on the tool head and shell plate changing. So in this case, I'd do all small primers, 9mm, .357 mag, and 454 Casull. Then go on to large primers.
    Last edited by gnappi; 12-10-2021 at 12:43 AM.
    Regards,

Gary

Boolit Buddy

I use Dillon 550 as do several of my friends, mostly SASS shooters. We like the 550 because of simplicity and caliber conversions cost less. Usually plug along at 400 round per hour. I currently have 11 calibers set up. GW

If you have reloaded on a single stage for 35 years, the 550 will seem like warp speed and keep things as simple as they get for progressive reloaders.

There isn’t another progressive that is as fast to swap between small and large primers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rCGV-JPYaE&t=7s

Boolit Grand Master

The Dillon 550 will require a conversion for each caliber you load. You will find it much easier and more convenient to get a tool head and powder die for each caliber.

The press comes with a case activated powder measure and uses the dies you already have. Since you already load, you have all the other peripherals you need.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Grand Master
    I have owned all the Dillons....and more than one of each

Get a 550. It will be the last progressive press on my bench when I get too old to shoot a lot. I get 300-350 rounds an hour on it without heroics.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    I use a 750 with a case feeder. I really like it. I have several presses and what works best for you will depend on how many rounds you load of a given type at a time. I load 8 or 10 different setups on mine, but only use one powder measure, as I tend to load different types and amounts of powder every time I load. The quick change plates are a must, as is the case feeder. Your dies will work fine with the 750, but not the SDB. I also use the SDB, but depends on what I'm loading. 750 is a better deal in my opinion, but had the SDB before I got the 750. The SDB is the biggest reason I got the 750. Yes, it is more money up front, but in the long run, I think is a better option. Again, depends on your volume. The 550 has no case feeder so that is a drawback in my opinion.

Boolit Grand Master

I had a pair of 550's but never cared for them. I wanted a case feeder and I didn't care for the lack of auto advance on the 550's. As soon as the 650's came out I upgraded. The 550 is less complicated which some prefer. I am not in that camp. The 550 not having an auto-advance makes it much easier to do a double charge.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master

The 550s now have a case feeder for pistol cartridges. Nothing for rifle cases though.

The lack of an auto advance does make it easier to double charge.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master
    The couple of times I tried double charging on my 550 it made a mess with the over filled case.

You will need a shellplate for every caliber you want to reload.

Seeing as you reload single stage, and time is not a factor, the dies changes are the same as for single stage - you don't need a separate toolhead for every caliber.

The case feeder and bullet feeder are great for people who reload a lot of one caliber. When you reload many calibers in small quantites, it becomes a serious time waster changing case feeder / bullet feeder plates every time you change calibers.

I suggest starting with the 750 without the case feeder. and shellplates for each of your calibers.

You may like it so much that you buy a second machine to have one setup for large primers, and one for small.

Boolit Man
    Thanks for the assistance. I found a great deal on a 750 complete set up and bought it. It has a little more than I need but couldn’t beat the price. It came with the following:

Xl 750 spare parts kit “never opened”
    Dillon .38/.357 carbide die set and conversion kit
    Dillon 9mm carbide die set and conversion kit
    Dillon .45acp carbide die set and conversion kit
    Dillon .223 die set and conversion kit
    Dillon .45 long colt carbide die set and conversion kit
    XL 750 swage it
    Dillon flip tray
    Dillon strong mount
    5 Dillon 750 toolheads with 3 stands
    3 Dillon powder measures
    Loaded cartridge tray
    Dillon casefeeder with small rifle and large pistol case feed plates
    .223 bullet feed tube bullet feeder mini
    .45 ACP bullet feed tube bullet feeder mini
    Mr bullet feeder die
    Comes with power supply , primer tubes , primer pickup tubes , comes with everything needed to start progressive loading immediately, press and all components are in like new condition !

Moderator Emeritus

Congrats, pacecars -- what you list seems like quite the complete outfit! I have had, and was going to post an endorsement for the 550 Dillon -- but you've "done better"! As a bit of poetic irony, I got my progressive ~thirty years back, kind of retiring my single-stage and 4-station Lyman All Americans. Now -- at least for past two-three years, I do all my loading pretty much on my MEC Marksman and/or Forster Co-Ax single stage presses. I used the Dillon -- which more than paid for itself when I was shooting competition pistol -- for years as my #1 press; now? I've acquired a bit more OCD (Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder) trying to get run-out to 0.000"; powder measured to one-zillionth of a grain; etc., etc., etc. to (hopefully) shrink groups. (A losing battle, for me!)
    BEST WISHES to you with your Dillon XL750!
    geo

Boolit Man
    Thanks! Hopefully with retirement looming I will have more time to load and shoot. I was going to go with the 550 since I wasn’t going to get a case feeder but by the time I added up everything and added a couple conversion kits I was already over $1300 and then this popped up for $300 more I jumped on it

Boolit Master
    I’ve got a 650 and it was a pain switching primer sizes out so found second on eBay and won it for low cost. It came with a boat load of extras like extra case feeder, primer tubes, 3 caliber changes etc. not really hard changing primer parts, but is such a pleasure not having to. Loading fast is advantage but you have to become more aware of problems. Limp wresting is your friend, don’t force anything, if something don’t feel right stop.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government..... When the people fear their government there is tyranny, when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by pacecars View Post
    OK being an old geezer at only 55 years old I have used a single stage press for smokeless reloading and a Lyman 310 for my BPCR loading for 35 years and I think it is time to try one of them nee fangled progressive presses. I reload 9mm, .357 Mag, 10mm, 10mm magnum (soon), 38-40, .410 GNR, .454 Casull and .480 Ruger presently. I am looking at the Dillon 550C or the 750. What accessories are needed along with these presses to get up and rolling out ammo? Pros and cons with these?
    I am 79.5 years old and been reloading since 1959. I don't have now will I ever have a progressive reloading press. Too late the follow the children's lead now.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    I am 76 and have 2 550's and all the trimmings and buy something every week. I saw an add for a 550 on this forum a few days ago. Post #12 must have hit the jackpot.

Boolit Master

Congrats on the find, pacecars. Having owned a 550 and a 650 for many years, I would have recommended a 550 too. It’s so easy to change cartridges/calibers and conversions are considerably more expensive for the 650/750. With the deal that you got, those details are insignificant.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master

The 750 is much less versatile than the 550. If you were loading for one or two calibers I would recommend the 750. Then you would need to load several months ammo while rhe press was set up for that caliber before switching over.
    With the 550 you need a caliber conversion for each caliber you are loading. You probably need a tool head for each caliber. That way you can set up your dies and leave them set up in the separate tool heads. Some buy a powder measure for each tool head and leave the powder measure adjusted for the same powder charge. Otherwise you need to empty the powder measure and transfer it to the new tool head and adjust the powder charge. Also you may need to change out the powder bar. There is a large and small. Large is mostly for rifle and small for pistol.
    If you load stick powders for rifle then the 450 powder drop tube and funnel may be nice. With this you do not use the Dillon powder measure and measure the powder off press ( on a separate powder measure with a scale)and then dump it through the funnel into the cartridge.
    It is nice to keep the caliber conversion with the correct tool head and dies.
    Also the Dillon die wrench is almost a necessity since the dies are so close in the tool head. The Dillon wrench is small enough to get in around the dies.Plus you need the necessary Allen wrenches at hand. Regular Allen wrenches work but the 550 requires 4 sizes and it is convinient to have them segregated from a packet.

Boolit Master
    I’ve got a 650 and it was a pain switching primer sizes out so found second on eBay and won it for low cost. It came with a boat load of extras like extra case feeder, primer tubes, 3 caliber changes etc. not really hard changing primer parts, but is such a pleasure not having to. Loading fast is advantage but you have to become more aware of problems. Limp wresting is your friend, don’t force anything, if something don’t feel right stop.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government..... When the people fear their government there is tyranny, when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast