Reloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Converting berdan cases

Converting berdan cases

Found this video how to convert berdan primers to boxer primers interesting
    https://youtu.be/AkKJfvMyuDg
    NRA Life Member
    learn to make your own black powder collect bp arms as there presently not recorded
    smokless is a fad its fading fast, helped along by obama

Boolit Buddy
    found this video a couple years ago, yes the process works, the copper tubing works and primers will fit, however I never got around to loading up ammo

Boolit Buddy
    I tried converting Berdan to Boxer years ago and used it successfully for several calibers. The cases that I used had primer pockets that would accept standard boxer primers. After punching out the spent Berdan primers via the hydraulic method I just used a hand drill and long enough drill bit to drill from the case mouth end. There is a small divit on the inside that centers the drill bit properly. On some cases didn't even have to deprime as the drilling would loosen the fired primer enough to fall out.

Boolit Buddy
    I did reprime some 303 British to use in a 30-40 Krag low pressure with cast worked great .I found the copper tubing a real pain to use and I found a copper sleave in the electrical department at Lowes that is used to crimp ground wires together it work perfect .

Boolit Master
    I knew an old guy who just super glued a boxer primer in and called it good, but he was only shooting a Cacano. A couple of months back I actually found a Berdan primed 22 Hornet case. Regards Stephen

Boolit Bub
    I’ve used this tool; https://22lrreloader.com/products/be...reign-domestic
    for kropatschek blanks with good results. They also sell properly sized bushings that fit the berdan gap for boxer sizes.

Boolit Master
    I convert them to use 209 shot gun primers. It's a bit of work but and it would be difficult to do without a lathe.

Boolit Master
    I've converted and fired some 7.62x54R cases with this exact method, RCBS dies, etc. Done as a see how well this works thing. Lot of work for garbage steel cases but its a tool to put in my toolbox. I did do a few soldering the insert in but honestly it didn't show any indication that was necessary.
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Moderator Emeritus
    I just bought Berdan primers when they were available

Boolit Master

I am going to experiment with "Rebuilding" Berdan Primers for .308/7.62 this winter. I have several hundred I have acquired and set aside in boxes after sorting Range Pickups over the last few years. The primer anvil is one potential "Problem Challenge Area" when rebuilding Boxer Primers - will be interesting to see if Berdan Primed would be easier. Oh well, a project for after the Holidays.
    Last edited by MUSTANG; 12-10-2021 at 05:40 PM.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by garandsrus View Post
    I just bought Berdan primers when they were available
    Me too. I've loaded thousands of rounds in berdan primed .308, .303 and 9x56 MS using the gear I am about to describe. Before that, I had loaded Sako 7x33 and Kynoch .32-20 and .44-40, but that was with hydraulic and chisel decapping.

The first depriming is the only tricky one, and then only if the primer is crimped in. If the latter, after the first depriming (hydraulic or chisel) remove the crimp with a sharp knife.

After that it is plain sailing. The near standard 5.5 mm primer usually has a 1 mm flash hole. Others are about .035" (e.g. the big .303s), but can be drilled to 1 mm. or the punch can be made with smaller pins. The decapping punch for .308 and above is made from a piece of 5/16" rod. Drill two holes in the end for 1 mm pins (FISH HOOK SHANKS) and insert pins. Bend slightly if necessary to adjust alignment with flash holes. Insert punch and rotate to engage flash holes (easier than you might think). The primers come out so easily that the case can be held in the hand while the punch is tapped with a hammer.

To allow for the replacement of pins broken by excessive bending, or by decapping crimped in primers, a groove can be cut around the punch level with the bottom of the pins, in as far as the pin holes. This helps get the broken stubs out. After the first breakage you will probably know better and not do it again.

Smaller calibers can probably be done with smaller shank and a single pin.

Hydraulic decapping can also be done in the reloading press using a Lyman M Die (outdoors, with thorough drying of the gear afterwards). I have tried this only with .32-20, so it remains to be tested with tougher stuff like crimped in primers. And no, the cases did not balloon out.
    Last edited by Wilderness; 12-10-2021 at 05:52 PM.
    It'll be handy if I never need it.

Insomniac, agnostic, dyslectic - awake all night wondering if there is a Dog.

Boolit Master
    I use a RCBS, BERDAN DECAPPING TOOL, to remove the primers.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Are Berdan primers hard to come by in the US? Here they are easily available and on the cheaper side cost wise. They are made in Russia, so probably the import ban keeps them out of the US market. Maybe Turkey makes them.

Boolit Master
    I also would rely like to know where they can be had?

Boolit Grand Master
    It is good to have options. I have a few hundred Berdan .308 cases and IIRC some in .30/06 and 5.56.

As long as I can get Boxer cases and primers it is not worth the effort...but I am lazy. Good knowledge to have if the need ever arises.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

I would have to be needing to load a really rare cartridge before converting cases.

Boolit Bub
    I recently got a minilathe and experimented with utilizing the existing berdan primer as the conversion sleeve. I used a center drill to bore out a center flash hole and the primer. I then swage it with the rcbs tool and then drill the flashhole with a 3/32" drill bit. Seems to work well in easily converting berdan primed 7.62x39 cases to SRP, which I got bunch vs. LRP.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I built a self centering drill . 5/16 rod for 30/31 cal with a peened , soldered , or set screw held drill bit . I did NNY ×39 cases , drilling about .1 deep , then decap in the sizer die .
    I used an anvil , also 5/16 rod and peened the pocket smaller . Some I swaged a few I cut to LRP dia .

5 cycles all were still holding with 35kpsi loads .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by guzma393 View Post
    I recently got a minilathe and experimented with utilizing the existing berdan primer as the conversion sleeve. I used a center drill to bore out a center flash hole and the primer. I then swage it with the rcbs tool and then drill the flashhole with a 3/32" drill bit. Seems to work well in easily converting berdan primed 7.62x39 cases to SRP, which I got bunch vs. LRP.
    I do almost the same, use a #1 combo center drill to start, removes the berdan anvil and drills the flash hole, then a #19 or 20 drill to break the hole in the old primer. This leave a bit more metal to swage and the SRM primer seats and grips well. the .161/.166 drilled hole helps center the swage button.

Boolit Bub
    Tested out ~200 converted 7.62x39 cases using the existing berdan primer as a SRP sleeve and they all fired without any complications. Ran into some cases where the srp sleeve popped out along with the spent primer when decapping.

Saved those cases and dabbled with a new method by drilling the primer pocket a bit wider to press in a 22lr case, turning the 22lr case flush along the base of the case, and swaging it using the LRP button. Seems to hold up alot better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast