Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load Data
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackbox
Wideners Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New concept hand held decapping/depriming tool - Needs testers

Boolit Bub

New concept hand held decapping/depriming tool - Needs testers

UPDATE: 6 shooters have offered to test the tool - so that depletes my current inventory. I will provide an update when these will be available for sale, hopefully within the next 30 days. Thanks to all the shooters that volunteered. I will price these based on feedback - but expect the price to be very reasonable compared to others already on the market

Below is a link to a video of a decapping tool I have been developing using 3d printing technology. I sold some of these at the Quigley Match this year and some of them broke almost immediately. After experiencing these failures and refunding whoever I could track down, I went back to the drawing board, determined the cause and redesigned it into a much stronger tool. (If you bought one of these - see note below)

Decapping tool video: https://1drv.ms/v/s!AuPFY0V9HYqVgcJ7QvSEqu2srWsnDg

I need help testing the new version. If interested, please email me at doug@westfork.net, subject "Decapping Tool". I have six to give away and only ask you pay shipping (~$6.00, US only). In return all I ask is for some honest feedback, most importantly on durability and suggestions for improvement. Some of the previous model are still being used and working fine, but the new version is MUCH stronger and simpler.

I will provide bushings for any calibers that you request.

Some features:

1. Bushings are easily made for any caliber. Tool will fit cartridge length up to 3.25" and calibers up to 50 cal.
    2. Replaceable Lee Universal Decapping Pin. Allen wrench is stored in the tool to loosen and tighten the set screws that hold it in place.
    3. Catches spent primers. The tool is easily emptied when decapping is complete by removing a rubber stopper on the back of the tool.
    4. Depth of push of decapping pin into cartridge is adjustable (to prevent bottoming out on flash hole)

The tool does not work well with crimped or extremely tight primers, although I would be interested in user experiences in these cases.

If you bought one of these at the Quigley Match in June 2021

Whether yours has broken or not, I will send you this new version free of charge and cover the shipping. Just email me at doug@westfork.net, subject "Decapping Tool", with a picture of your tool so I can validate your purchase (If it broke and you threw it away, I'll just take your word for it), your mailing address, what caliber(s) you require and I will send one out as soon as possible.
    Last edited by flemdoug; 12-09-2021 at 10:40 AM.

Boolit Master
    I like it.

In the video you seem to install a 357mag holder and use it to decap .223rem, makes sense that the inserts are roughly diameter specific rather than caliber specific, just something to note for your future promotion video.

I’d add one to my traveling kit for 45/70, 45lc and 38/357, but am honestly too tied up with work to give timely feedback. Just let me know when you’re in production.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for the feedback. I didn't catch that until after I finished and was reviewing. The bushing is actually marked .223 on the reverse side, since .223 and 357 mag share the exact same base diameter. But as you suggest, probably a good idea to fix for future promotions. I will post here when/if they go into production - depending on durability and feedback.

Boolit Bub
    Paul G, Email me at doug@westfork.net with your mailing address and choice of calibers and I'll send you one for testing. As I said in the original post. I'm not charging anything other than shipping - usually around $6 in the lower 48.

Boolit Master
    Makes my hands hurt just watching the video.

Boolit Master
    Well I think that is awesome.

Must have spent some time working on that design.

Boolit Grand Master

Interesting !
    When we get back north maybe next year just may have to give this a whirl.
    I can see where shooting "once piece of brass" groups with a certain SS would benefit with this tool.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master

Very impressive, but if I had one it would have to be red.

USMC 77, USRA 79

i love it!!! i would love to try one...

PM sent
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by barrabruce View Post
    Well I think that is awesome.

Must have spent some time working on that design.
    I've been through at least 10 iterations over almost 2 years -- and as I said, the first one I sold (without doing the proper testing) broke because I made some mistakes in the printing process. Just by fixing that problem, the previous version seems to be strong enough. But, I decided to make some major design changes using the same basic concept to both simplify and structurally improve the tool.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by sparky45 View Post
    Very impressive, but if I had one it would have to be red.
    The nice thing about 3D printing I can do them in just about any color choice.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by ioon44 View Post
    Makes my hands hurt just watching the video.
    Only with very tight primers -- not even sure it will worked with crimped primers. With my 45-70, starline brass - no problem at all. I find it easier and faster than the Frankford Arsenal decapping tool, but I'm probably biased. I'll be interested in the feedback from the 6 testers that have volunteered to give it a try.

Banned
    I think my lee hand held press could do the job no issues.

Boolit Master
    Very slick.

Boolit Buddy
    Neat concept. I wish I was as smart as so many of you guys who are inventive.

Boolit Grand Master
    As I've mentioned many times here, I collect re- and decapping tools. As a result, I've seen more than a few come and go, but it seems that more thought and effort is put into the recap function than the decap. Depending on how much effort the twist will take, and how long the unit will last, it might have some possibilities. The fact that it can easily be changed for caliber is a positive. I'll stay tuned for test results... kinda wish I had gotten in on the testing!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    Very ingenious. I’ll be keeping an eye on this.

Boolit Grand Master
    Very interesting.

Boolit Master
    Bravo!

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Master
    Looks great for a portable reloading kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm a Red Cross blood donor- are you? Make an appointment to donate today http://www.redcrossblood.org/make-donation
    http://www.redcrossblood.org/

FOR Disaster Relief DONATIONS-
    http://http://www.redcross.org/charitable-donations

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast