RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New concept hand held decapping/depriming tool - Needs testers

Boolit Master

Neat concept!
    You could sit in front of the TV and watch the wife do it for you!
    Shhhh, don't tell her i said that!!!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 45workhorse View Post
    Neat concept!
    You could sit in front of the TV and watch the wife do it for you!
    Shhhh, don't tell her i said that!!!
    You’re a brave man.

USMC 77, USRA 79

Mine just came!!!! woooo hooo...

I will run them through their paces after Christmas when there is a bit more time!!!!
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Grand Master
    I received mine a couple of days ago. Before you order one, watch the video in post #1… something I was unable to do before mine came and I had to figure it out for myself. Fortunately, its operation is pretty self explanatory, but if I had watched the video first, I wouldn’t have had so many dumb questions!

Anyway, I asked Doug to provide me with inserts for 44-40 and 45-70, two cartridges I use with black powder. My idea was to be able to take the tool onto the range with me and after each course of fire decap the freshly shot rounds and throw them into a jug of soapy water to neutralize the BP residue and begin the cleaning process. Although I haven’t tried it at the range yet, my test unit works admirably at home for the decapping chore.

As he stated, Doug’s tool is a product of 3-D printing. It is designed to be heavy where needed and feels quite substantial in the hand. It probably will not decap crimped primers without a lot of grunting (if even then) but for the average reloader who wants to decap his fired rounds as a first step before reloading or further cleaning, this little tool will be a dandy. It is large enough for a good grasp while using it, but is sufficiently compact that it can be packed in my range gear without taking up too much space.

At the time we last spoke, Doug had not decided whether he would “go commercial” and produce these for sale, but I hope he does. This will be a useful addition to the reloader’s bench or range box. There’s already a spot reserved for it with my gear to go to the next N-SSA Skirmish.

Froggie

PS The longest case I tried to decap was a 9.3 X 74R. It worked, but this is about the extreme length this tool would handle.
    "It aint easy being green!"

This is an interesting concept. If you plan on selling these, is there someone who can do production levels of parts with 3D Printing? Not being able to keep up with demand will kill you faster than anything.

Are the male and female portions of the Helix that twists the two parts together strong enough to last?

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    It would definitely have a place in my reloading go bag! I would love to have one to check out!
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    This is an interesting concept. If you plan on selling these, is there someone who can do production levels of parts with 3D Printing? Not being able to keep up with demand will kill you faster than anything.

Are the male and female portions of the Helix that twists the two parts together strong enough to last?

Randy
    If I decide to sell these it would be on a fairly small scale through word of mouth, some of the various competitions I might go through, and maybe on the forums. Too much of a niche market to scale up to high production and try to compete with the well known products already well established in the same niche. But, even as slow as it is to 3D print, I will have 5 3D printers by end of summer --- purely out hobby interest with no expectations of making much money selling this. In that case, 10-12 a day would be easily achievable at a minimum.

I really prefer this over both the Harvey and the Frankford Arsenal tools -- BUT -- both of those are steel and less likely to fail. Harvey provides more leverage and can at least do a crimped primer but you wouldn't want to do very many with it or the Frankford. I had one failure in testing after about 5 or 6 crimped primers (and a LOT of effort.) Even if the tool can be modified to withstand crimped primers (which is my goal) I would still recommend against buying one with that purpose in mind because it is too much effort. The advantage over the Harvey is that it provides perfect alignment with the flash hole and catches primers. Frankford provides alignment and catches primers, but I think mine does a better job on both. The Frankford is more universal because the collets are somewhat adjustable but still requires collet change out once in awhile. My only real advantage there would be price -- which if I decide to sell will definitely be priced lower and include a nice range of caliber bushing to fit a wide range of cartridges.

As for helix mating of the two parts being strong enough to last, I am not so much worried about wear but I do want them to withstand very difficult primers if the user wants to decap a few of those now and then. If primers aren't crimped I am fairly certain the tool will last a long time. If I decide to sell them here, I would sign up as a vendor. Initially I would sell them at (what I think) to be a very reasonable price and limit the early sales to small batches of 10-20 at a time to get them in the hands of shooters to try to determine durability.

With all that said, I was provided with a great idea from one of the testers on how to mate the idea of my caliber bushings with the Harvey. So, if you have a Harvey and are annoyed with finding the flash hole now and then -- this will solve that problem. I sent him some test bushings to try and I'll see how that works out.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by poppy42 View Post
    It would definitely have a place in my reloading go bag! I would love to have one to check out!
    I'll take note and let you know if I decide to sign up as a vendor here on the forum to try to sell these.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Va View Post
    I think my lee hand held press could do the job no issues.
    Having used both, you’re comparing apples to coconuts. Your hand press can indeed do this job and everything else to complete loaded cartridges. It is also about four to six times as large and heavy as Doug’s Decapper. It won’t fit in your pocket to carry to and use at the range. It is actually going to be slower and less handy for the one process the unit from Doug accomplishes.

For large batches of 32 revolver and 9mm auto pistol cases, I’ll continue to use a single stage bench press with a TC die that decaps and FL sizes simultaneously, but that’s a different style of loading with different needs. You have to choose what works for you, but don’t reject this tool out of hand. (Pun intended!)

Froggie

Froggie: Don't forget to mention my BPM Hand Press for decapping as well. It is much more fun to operate it catches spent primers and is a best quality tool that will last forever!

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Grand Master
    Randy, I’m an acknowledged supporter of the hand press, with yours being at the very top of the heap but this design of Doug’s fills another niche entirely. Yes, your press does an impeccable job of decapping, but if that’s the only use to which it is being put, it’s massive overkill. As I said in a previous post. No “hand held press” would easily fit into a pocket; the Decapper by Doug fits a different niche because of that small size. Both are valuable to fill their specific niche and I’m pleased to have both. I also have a massive bench press and can’t imagine being without that as well.

Froggie

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Va View Post
    I think my lee hand held press could do the job no issues.
    Yeah, and my Co-Ax is better than your hand press...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12