Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
RepackboxLoad DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Titan Reloading

Thread: Magma Master Caster disassemble ?

Boolit Buddy

Magma Master Caster disassemble ?

Having trouble w/ my Master Caster stopping up, so i drained the pot pulled the rod, superman could not see through the
    "junk" in the hole. Took the orifice off the bottom, still can't see thru. How is the orifice that feeds the bottom orifice (for lack of a better word) attached to the pot. Anyone ever take (strip) their pot completely down?

coffee's ready, Hootmix.

Boolit Master
    I have, mine was covered in yellow crud that plugged the hole somewhat.

With the orifice plate off, get a torch and heat the area till the lead in there melts so you can push wire through it, you could probably run a drill bit through it too, but i'm unsure on the size needed. When hot and the valve hole junk being soft, you can scrape it out to make it squeeky clean.

OOH put the bolts back with never sieze on them to make then easier to remove next time. I worked on on that one bolt broke when i removed it and had to drill it out in the mill.

Boolit Buddy
    Hey Tazza, did mine the same way, then had to rework the end of the drop rod. Cleaned the pot, noticed the rod did't pick-up straight turns out the lever was bowed (where the pins hold the lever), works better now. But my original question, "is the first orifice" machined to the bottom of the "pot" or does it thread up into the pot? May have to call Magma? Thanks for your reply.

coffee's ready, Hootmix.

The pour spout is a part of the pot on my Master Caster, but it's an older one. The orifice bolts to the bottom, and once it's removed, you should be able to clean straight through the pour spout. I normally use a propane torch to heat it until the debris is soft, then push it on through and clean it up from there.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Master
    Mine too is an older one, and it is part of the pot, it is not removable. The base on mine is really thick, it was the old style that runs cartridge heaters and not the newer heating bands. Being that the base is about 3/4" thick, there was plenty of material for them to machine the valve seat, i don't know how the newer ones are done, but i'd suspect it too is part of the base, be it machined into it, or welded to the base.

It surprises me that it was bent, the steel is quite thick.

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you fellow casters, i believe we are all in agreement, the valve seat is made to the bottom of the pot. My pot was "well used " when i got it, but has cast very well, i just decided to give it a healthy cleaning as it started to drip more than i thought it should. Like Tazza's, mine had some hard crap down in the hole, but were good now. Thank you all.

coffee's ready, Hootmix.