Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee Precision
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Repackbox

Thread: Bullet suggestions for sharps 1:18, 45-90

Bullet suggestions for sharps 1:18, 45-90

I’ve been looking around for many ideas for molds out there, I was hoping to get some suggestions here. It’s a pedersoli sharps in 45-90 with a 34 inch barrel and a 1:18 twist.
    Many of the typical molds are sold out at buffalo arms etc..i generally like accurate molds a lot so would any of you have any suggestions from this page? I plan to use BP for now.

https://www.accuratemolds.com/catalo...catalog-anchor

I was thinking 46-525B, 46-530C?

Also since these ride the bore and I may powder coat (would like the option if needed) should I reduce the bore riding dimension from 0.450 to say 0.448 or so or would this be a bad idea? Should I stick to bare lead and leave it at .450?
    “It is not enough that we do our best; sometimes we must do what is required.”
    ― Winston S. Churchill

Boolit Grand Master

All of my 45 cal bpcr rifles are 18 twist and prefer heavy for caliber bullets. tge 535 lyman postel is a good performer in all as is hte 500 grn lyman govt round nose.The old west 550 gen silhouette is a solid performer also.

You might consider buying some bullets to test and see what the rifle likes then buy a mould.

In my 45-90 the 550 grn old west really rocks the swinging rams at 500 yds no doubt if a hit they sound like a church bell and really jump.

The 5 boolits that I use in my Pedersoli 45/90 all perform well

LtoR 545gn Victory, 500gn CBE, 492gn Pedersoli spire point, 495gn Lyman tapered 'bore rider', and 420gn Hensley & Gibbs

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Nah BAW, too many rumble strip speed bumps

Bad ass, where did you get those molds? I am looking for "ltor" and nothing related comes up.
    ― Winston S. Churchill

Are you looking for a hunting or long range target bullet?

Boolit Master
    Buffalo Arms builds their molds at the time they are ordered. The web site will almost always show that the one you want is out of stock. I think the only ones that are in stock are probably molds that they made some time ago. Just give them a call and they'll make one for you.

Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by almar View Post
    Bad ass, where did you get those molds? I am looking for "ltor" and nothing related comes up.
    That "itor" is left to right.......

Don't forget the 540 Paul Jones Creedmore

https://www.sageoutfitters.com/catal...92/7451992.htm
    The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government.
    -- Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master
    For my 45-70, 1X18 twist I use Lee 5002r plain base. Casts well, generous lube grooves.
    Rich or poor, it's good to have money.

Quote Originally Posted by Lead pot View Post
    That "itor" is left to right.......
    Oh dang...wow. That's embarassing.
    ― Winston S. Churchill

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by almar View Post
    come downunder
    CBE (Cast Bullet Engineering) makes a 535 grain x .459 specifically for the pedersoli barrels - its a good mold and with present exchange rates considerably less expensive than US stuff of equal quality.

Boolit Master
    Nah BAW, too many rumble strip speed bumps
    mate hes talkin about puttin lipstick on em and you wanna turn him into a confetti manufacturer ?? ........................................

Boolit Master
    I’d call Accurate (or Buffalo Arms) and ask them which of their designs is closest to the Paul Jones 45001 Creedmoor design, and buy that one.

If you’re going with a custom mould for target shooting, I’ve found that design is accurate in everything I’ve tried it in, and very user-friendly. There might be more accurate designs out there (Money boolits with tapers, micro-grooves, etc), but their advantages (described by those that shoot them) begin to show only at extreme ranges, and I’ve found they take more finagling to get them to shoot well. In my case, they only shoot well for other people, despite the finagling.

If you’re on a budget, the Ideal 457125 or 457132 are both good to at least 600 yards. If you want less recoil, the Ideal 457124 shoots good to 400 yards or so. But the PJ Creedmoor is better in the wind than any of them.

My Pedersoli was a .45-70 that is now pooched out to .45-2.6”, and it shoots these in the manner described.

Get your loading expertise established with grease-groove boolits before moving to paper-patched. It will save you some frustration.

Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    mate hes talkin about puttin lipstick on em and you wanna turn him into a confetti manufacturer ?? ........................................

Boolit Master

i appreciate all of your input! I have a feeling it is going great fun to learn about sharps shooting.
    ― Winston S. Churchill

Boolit Grand Master

Keep it away from others they reproduce at an alarming rate
    Its a fun journey and a lot of fun.

Once
    you have a good load then its time to start on the PP bullets for even more

Boolit Master
    I'm sure you'll like it. I don't think there is a more enjoyable type of shooting anywhere .

Chris.