Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
RepackboxSnyders JerkyWidenersTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lyman case trimmer pilots

Boolit Master

Such a simple thing and so much confusion.
    I have RCBS and Lyman trimmers. Have always expanded cases, either straight wall or bottleneck. It's the way Dad taught Us back in the 50's-60's.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Buddy
    I too have had the same problem with Lyman trimmer pilots. I ordered new pilots and fit and worked without any problems. Could be lyman fixed the issue. I always trimmed after sizing.

Boolit Buddy
    These pilots are very old. I had no such issues trimming with a RCBS trimmer and pilots after sizing. I just sized cases first because thats what Lyman said. Rcbs suggests it also. Neither said anything about case mouth expanding. Manufacturers instruction is what I have went on. I never had a mentor for this hobby. So I just read what I could. But everyone here has given me some sound advice. Thanks
    Last edited by doulos; 12-12-2021 at 10:44 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    I have a almost unused Lyman case trimmer. Was playing around with it and some of the pilots are so large they wont fit a sized case mouth. Never had this issue with RCBS pilots. Anyone else had this issue with Lyman trimmer pilots?
    Since day one ... all the instructions say to SIZE the case then trim ...but that doesn't work because the pilots are too large and the sized case neck will not fit over and onto the pilots ...... So ... about 40 years ago , when I got the trimmer , I went to trimming fired cases ...then sizing them ... worked like a black magic Voo Doo charm and been doing it that way ever since .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    Processing .223/5.56

For me it’s cases trimmed on a Lyman with unsized necks. Trim to a length close to the trim to length. Use the carbide cutter and it’s fast. Bevel and chamfer the case mouths.

Next, I full length brass new to me.

The final run is on two Wilson trimmers, one to set the final length the other to final cut the bevel on the primer pocket after its run on the RCBS pocket swagger.

The Wilson gives me the squarest case mouth of any trimmer I have tried.

I am a stickler for inside flash hole deburring. With a good consistent case length and a square mouth I get a good consistent flash hole debur depth.

For my bolt guns, I figure I will not have to trim again for quite a while since I use a Lee collet die, the AR’s are a different story.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Three44s View Post
    Processing .223/5.56

For me it’s cases trimmed on a Lyman with unsized necks. Trim to a length close to the trim to length. Use the carbide cutter and it’s fast. Bevel and chamfer the case mouths.

Next, I full length brass new to me.

The final run is on two Wilson trimmers, one to set the final length the other to final cut the bevel on the primer pocket after its run on the RCBS pocket swagger.

The Wilson gives me the squarest case mouth of any trimmer I have tried.

I am a stickler for inside flash hole deburring. With a good consistent case length and a square mouth I get a good consistent flash hole debur depth.

For my bolt guns, I figure I will not have to trim again for quite a while since I use a Lee collet die, the AR’s are a different story.

Three44s
    LIKE !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12