Load DataRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyWideners
Titan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tire price shocker.

Boolit Master

Tire price shocker.

My newer Toyota 4Runner has a set of 33" tires that I bought for it a year ago. They were the newest Cooper design called the Evolution MT. They promised to offer daily driving manners with amazing off-road abilities. I ordered a set of 33" tall tires at $163 each from Walmart.com.

They arrived and I took them to a local shop that charged $18 each to sipe them, and then another $100 to mount and balance them.

They have performed extremely well off-road, OK in the snow, and not great in daily driving due to noise, weight, and sucking of MPG.

We just got a couple of inches of snow.

The 4Runner was slipping a bit so I did a search of snow and all-season tired designs.

All of the tires I had experience with and could confirm performed well were now well over $200 each.

I swore that I would never spend over $200 for a tire, but that promise is geeing harder every day
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master

I’m surprised 33 inch tires weren’t more.
    Just my opinion but the sipe business is a waste.

Banned
    I feel your pain I went to our rather small auto recycler yard (they don't call em junk yards anymore) they wanted almost the same price as walmart for brand new. These came off a truck with 15,000 miles on it and for a couple hundred more I could have bought the whole truck.

Boolit Buddy
    Haaa !!!
    Dont feel bad,, I dropped almost $200.ea on a pair of rear 4wheeler tires not long ago..

I just spent a thousand bucks to put a set of tires on a Jeep that's worth about two thousand bucks. I don't like to cheap out on tires. jd
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

Boolit Master
    I just spent $1200 on a set of tires for our traverse. It has 20" tires. that price does include insurance. I had bought 2 rear tires for my truck, paid $400, a few months later, picked up a nail in the sidewall. All I had to pay was $19 for insurance on the replacement tire. So having insurance paid off.

Boolit Master
    You should see what tractor tires cost these days vs 1 year ago.
    8500' Wet Mountain Valley, Colorado

Boolit Buddy
    One thing I've found is that cheap tires work out to be more expensive in the long run. I will only run Michelin tires, although Toyo and Nitto have been decent performers in the past. If you keep the vehicle long enough to wear out a set of michelins it is well worth the expense. For instance, I put a set of Cooper St Maxx tires on my F-350 and within 30k the wear bars were exposed, time to replace. I went with the Michelin Defender MS 2, and its been over 40k with hardly any wear at all. I'll admit that a 1 ton pickup is hard on tires in general, but I've found the Michelin's wore unbelievably long on every vehicle that I've run them on. Perhaps I'm a little biased, they are made here in SC after all. . . .

Boolit Grand Master
    I had Goodyear Wrangler Foritude HT's (IIRC) on my fiancé's F150 and had to replace them this year after over 60k miles. The worked OK and we get 120" of snow a year. I shopped around and a chain called Discount Tire had them for an even better price than Walmart...$165 each. Put another set on...if it works don't screw with it.

On my F150, the Michelins do not do as well in snow. I have a spare set of wheels with Cooper M&S tires. Pain in the butt to change over but nice to know if we get hammered, we have one truck with snow tires on it.
    Don Verna

I've been happy with Hankook Dynapro AT2 RF11 truck tires for the price. I've bought 3 sets of them over the past 8 years for 2 different trucks.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I just bought a pair of snow tires with studs. They were cheaper than 4 season tires, of course without studs. It’s been over 25 years since I’ve had studded tires. I wonder if I will still like them.

Yep.....getting outrageous! I recently priced tires for my Ram SRW (19.5” tires) four Toyo’s .....around $1500.00 (mounted/balanced/taxed). I may be off on the price a bit, as I was in shock and threw away the estimate....seems it was actually higher! memtb
    Last edited by memtb; 12-08-2021 at 11:14 AM.
    You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“LETS GO BRANDON”

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    My newer Toyota 4Runner has a set of 33" tires that I bought for it a year ago. They were the newest Cooper design called the Evolution MT. They promised to offer daily driving manners with amazing off-road abilities. I ordered a set of 33" tall tires at $163 each from Walmart.com.

They arrived and I took them to a local shop that charged $18 each to sipe them, and then another $100 to mount and balance them.

They have performed extremely well off-road, OK in the snow, and not great in daily driving due to noise, weight, and sucking of MPG.

We just got a couple of inches of snow.

The 4Runner was slipping a bit so I did a search of snow and all-season tired designs.

All of the tires I had experience with and could confirm performed well were now well over $200 each.

I swore that I would never spend over $200 for a tire, but that promise is geeing harder every day
    Wow.. I'd love a 200$ tire.. I drive a 1 ton dually.... that's 7 tires if you keep the spare updated... cheap chinese tires are 250@ name brands are a months pay for a set.. ugh...

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    Then ya better not get a 3/4 ton truck or heavier with the 60-70 psi, 10 ply, 'E' rated tires!
    The price of them will make your knees get weak.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Not just expensive but mostly unavailable.

I ordered a set of four Michelins for my sedan. Costco only had two that were mounted to replace the bad tires on the car, but it’s been two MONTHS and the other tires still haven’t been shipped from the manufacturer because they have no stock. My local tire center finally located some 475 miles away at another Costco and will have them sent over at their expense.

I have a 1980 Ford E-250 Club Wagon, which I bought about five years ago, fairly low miles, and seller mentioned how nice the Tires were ( which he had put on in 1982 ).

Okay, so, fast forward a ways, and I did some TLC things, and put it in to daily use about 3 years ago, nice Michelene Tires, plenty of nice Tread, and, after a while, one blew right outside of Town ( small Farming Town, rural Kansas ) and I limped back home at a walking pace on the rim ( Driver's side front ).

So, I put on the Spare, went to the two local places which work on Cars and Trucks to see if the had a good used Tire, and, no luck.

So, drive to a larger City to see some Tire Places to find a good used one, and blew a 2nd Tire on the Interstate, I felt it coming and slowed down, pulled WAY over, and, had to get a Tow Truck to bring me home since no Spare now...(50 miles, ugh! ).

Tow driver said "Those Tires look pretty old! No wonder you are blowing them!"

I said, "Well, 1982 I think..."

Well, I did not know that that was an issue, till this..and when they blew, they REALLY blew! Yeeeesh! Steel Wires sticking out and like a Grenade went off inside.

The 1980 Club Wagon takes 8.50 - 16.5 Tires, ten or twelve ply, 85 PSI, and I called around to every place within 100 Miles, and no one had any, but they said they could 'order them in' and it was always like mid upper 2s per Tire, not counting Mounting and Balance.

Got on line and found them on 'Amazon' brand New, Firestones, $135.00 a piece, ordered four, and they arrived to my front Porch in two days. Local place did Mounting and Balance for $85.00 Bucks, and did a great job.

So, Happy Van! Happy me!

Just put Michelains 20” for 2018 F150 $1300 and some change mounted,balanced,service warranty . I was hoping for $200.00 a tire.

This is where I get my P/U tires, https://www.treadwright.com/collections/filter.
    It does help to have an extra set of rims and to run a summer set and a winter set. Generally the more aggressive the tread is - the shorter the life. I run the Dirt Lords in the summer and the Claws in the winter. Avoid the Wardens for snow use - they didn't do so well on my wife's Jeep.

Boolit Buddy
    So I have a set of Michelin Ice-X (225/60 R17) studless with MB alloy rims listed locally for $550. Lot of looky lews buy no takers. Would swap them on the Subaru Outback for the winter so they are in excellent condition with hardly any wear showing. The Michelins on my truck are still going strong and do well on snow and ice. I keep thinking I need to replace them but they refuse to wear down to the 'wear' bars.
    I do have some like new studded Firestones for the truck but they are past the "ten year" date and no shop will do the change over (they are on wheels). So in theory high miles or ten years you will have to replace the tires. Is that a conspiracy?
    West of Beaver Dick's Ferry.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bmi48219 View Post
    I’m surprised 33 inch tires weren’t more.
    Just my opinion but the sipe business is a waste.
    Since you are in Florida, I can see where you don't find much use for siped tires. I, on the other hand, live in NW Montana, and they have a definite use in this area! Big difference on icy mountain roads.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast