Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Wideners
Lee PrecisionLoad DataInline FabricationReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox

Thread: Modern day Ginsu knives...

Boolit Master

Modern day Ginsu knives...

I kept seeing these ads for these Japanese super sharp knives...

Attachment 292818

I liked the design and the latest offer that popped up was $29.95 for a knife. I figured it was worth the risk. Well, when I ordered one, I got a pop-up offer for an extra knife for $19.95. OK, fine, it will do for a gag gift for my brother for Christmas. I click to add it to the order. Then another offer pops up and asks if I want to add a leather belt sheath to the order for $19.95. OK...

Then, I see that for some reason, I clicked on FOUR additional knives to my order for $59.95 rather than one. Oops!

So I try to cancel the order. Not allowing it. I click on the customer service icon and get a live chat with a beautiful Filipino girl named Grace. I explain to her that I only wanted one additional Huusk knife and one sheath. No problem. She says she will take care of it.

The next day, I get a bunch of emails from this company saying that my order was processed for all the additional knives, that my request to cancel was too late (I requested to cancel within 90 seconds of the order) and I was billed for over $100 for this scam.

I'm pretty savvy when it comes to scams like this, but for some reason, I fell for it hook, line, and sinker.

I wanted to post this so fellow gun enthusiasts know to run, not walk, away from Huusk knives and their adds.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Moderator Emeritus

I "fell" for a similar pit (ordering an air pistol at a too-good-to-be-true price off a site which looked (several times checked) 100% OK)... I reckoned I'd pay for the education quite a bit more than your Huusk knife loss! Just for kicks & giggles -- nothing more to lose -- I rang the number on back of my credit card and --hardest part was getting to speak with a human -- explained all. Wow! I was told that the charge would be put on hold; no billing &/or fees for me, as they "did an investigation." About six weeks later I got both an email from card source, followed by a first class letter, stating that their investigation was complete. I would not be charged for anything. (NONE of anything re my card use ever appeared on statements!)
    I was/still am most impressed -- 'specially since it was resolved to my favour.
    You may try ringing your credit card, assuming that's what you used. Best wishes!
    geo

Boolit Master

Dispute the charge through your credit card company. Explain what happened and you will win.

Dispute the charge.
    I sell online and have had several legitimate sales reversed, after sending the product. I have never won a case.

Sent from my moto g stylus 5G using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks for the heads up ... Try Credit Card Company , usually they can do something ... I hope so .

I hate crooks ... If I ran the world their sentences would be ... very severe .
    Two convictions and somebody would have to feed you ...three convictions and you would have a Handless Eunuch .
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

Oh, and I forgot to add that since my contact with them, my phone has been bombarded with spam calls from overseas and all media is now flooded with pop-up ads for more cheap crud from China.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    Oh, and I forgot to add that since my contact with them, my phone has been bombarded with spam calls from overseas and all media is now flooded with pop-up ads for more cheap crud from China.
    So sorry re the added annoyance from spam calls and pop-up ads. I have about a dozen or so different eMail addresses. It takes about a minute to conjure up a new eMail account on Yahoo dot com, Google (gMail), and/or a host of others. Whenever I'm checking something out, or even purchasing from ANY vendor who has a 1% or greater chance of being sketchy -- I use a newly made-up address. On my cellular telephone I regularly receive calls labeled as "possible spam"; write down that number -- and it is the one I provide. On the occasions that the vendor really appears to be legit -- I ring them, and take it from there. I have one of my cellular telephones set to block MY number being given/available to recipient.
    Bion -- albeit I still do get the spam calls, I hardly ever (knock wood) get the ads since I started this procedure...
    BEST!
    geo

Boolit Master

So 5 knives and a sheath for $100? If they are any good, sell the extras for $20 and get some of your money back.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    I kept seeing these ads for these Japanese super sharp knives...

Attachment 292818

I liked the design and the latest offer that popped up was $29.95 for a knife. I figured it was worth the risk. Well, when I ordered one, I got a pop-up offer for an extra knife for $19.95. OK, fine, it will do for a gag gift for my brother for Christmas. I click to add it to the order. Then another offer pops up and asks if I want to add a leather belt sheath to the order for $19.95. OK...

Then, I see that for some reason, I clicked on FOUR additional knives to my order for $59.95 rather than one. Oops!

So I try to cancel the order. Not allowing it. I click on the customer service icon and get a live chat with a beautiful Filipino girl named Grace. I explain to her that I only wanted one additional Huusk knife and one sheath. No problem. She says she will take care of it.

The next day, I get a bunch of emails from this company saying that my order was processed for all the additional knives, that my request to cancel was too late (I requested to cancel within 90 seconds of the order) and I was billed for over $100 for this scam.

I'm pretty savvy when it comes to scams like this, but for some reason, I fell for it hook, line, and sinker.

I wanted to post this so fellow gun enthusiasts know to run, not walk, away from Huusk knives and their adds.
    Huusk (Japan) is really Chyna junk with a Belgium office.

Yep dispute with CC company. Have a friend who sell on Amazon, has never won a dispute, has had people return empty box or just various trash in the box and still Amazon credits them.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Handloader109 View Post
    Yep dispute with CC company. Have a friend who sell on Amazon, has never won a dispute,
    If you sell on Amazon--- yeah, like ebay, their return policies are draconian.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

They are most likely as good as the originals. That sucked.

Boolit Master

Well, the knives arrived today. Sort of. I received three out of the five I paid for, and one leather sheath. I paid for them through PayPal and filed a dispute. They found in favor of the scammers. PayPal is a joke.

So, I have three knives. I'm keeping one for myself, and giving one to my brother and one to my son-in-law. I really like the size and design, and they arrived very sharp. However, closer inspection shows they are typical of most Chinese garbage. The steel is only listed as stainless steel, one of the blades is ground crooked, two knives have mis-drilled handle pin holes, and all of them have scratches and imperfections on the blade.

The leather sheath does not appear to be leather and reminds me of the holsters that came with cap guns. Same quality and thickness.

So... Garbage. They came in nice presentation boxes, however. I do like the design and they balance well. I will use mine as a kitchen/camp cook knife. I'd like to hand one to a custom knife maker and tell him to make a copy, but with good steel and a nice handle.

Attachment 294424

Attachment 294425

Attachment 294426

Boolit Mold
    Some good info about this knife her:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJd5-Kxg-f8

Boolit Master
    sorry to hear how you got burned.
    there's only one place I go for anything with a blade.
    https://www.smkw.com

its literally monster supermarket for everything bladed.
    they always have huge bins of all the Chinese stuff usually with bright orange discount stickers for $4.99 or $9.99 and bulk packs of like 100 folding knives for $99.99 for people who I guess sell at flea markets and stuff.

well that's not 100% accurate I have found some great deals on blemished and closeouts on the buck knife and ka-bar web sites
    Last edited by farmbif; 01-12-2022 at 10:51 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by georgerkahn View Post
    I "fell" for a similar pit (ordering an air pistol at a too-good-to-be-true price off a site which looked (several times checked) 100% OK)... I reckoned I'd pay for the education quite a bit more than your Huusk knife loss! Just for kicks & giggles -- nothing more to lose -- I rang the number on back of my credit card and --hardest part was getting to speak with a human -- explained all. Wow! I was told that the charge would be put on hold; no billing &/or fees for me, as they "did an investigation." About six weeks later I got both an email from card source, followed by a first class letter, stating that their investigation was complete. I would not be charged for anything. (NONE of anything re my card use ever appeared on statements!)
    I was/still am most impressed -- 'specially since it was resolved to my favour.
    You may try ringing your credit card, assuming that's what you used. Best wishes!
    geo
    This is the beauty of paying with a credit card !
    A call to them ... a little investigation and Tah - Dah ... You off the hook ...but you have to act fast ... as soon as you smell a rat , call the credit card company .

Thanks for the heads up on the knife scam Idaho45guy we appreciate it !

Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master

bladehq.com
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Stig View Post
    Some good info about this knife her:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJd5-Kxg-f8
    Great video! Now I really feel stupid. I tried sharpening mine a bit more and it did not respond like any of my other knives. Now I know why; pot steel.

Boolit Bub
    Iīve been thinking of making one of those,
    just havenīt gotten round to it yet

/roger