Lee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackbox
Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ever gotten a professional massage before?

Boolit Master

Ever gotten a professional massage before?

I had not, until today.

I'm not counting the one in Olongapo City in the Philippines in 1991, either...

I switched jobs at work from a cushy security job with horrible hours to one with great hours but much more physical work. I've been pretty sedentary for a few years, and when I started using hand tools and doing a lot of bending and reaching, my muscles did not like it.

My average steps for a day went from 800, to around 5000, according to my phone. I went to my Chiropractor when my back, shoulders, and knee started complaining.

He recommended a massage. He said I was so tight and screwed up that he couldn't adjust me. His wife happened to be a professional masseuse in his office, so I agreed, but a bit skeptical.

Now, these are unique people. My chiropractor is in his late 40's, American, is ethnically Jewish, but is a Muslim. His wife is in her 30's, Moroccan and fresh off the boat, super attractive, and a Muslim. His receptionist is a beautiful Greek girl.

He is always telling me that I need to get a Moroccan girl.

So, I show up for the massage, flirt with the receptionist, then the wife comes out and leads me into a dark room with candles and incense. She tells me to strip, except for my skivvies, and lay down.

She returns a few minutes later, and proceeds to give me an amazing massage. Calling it a massage seems insulting, because she expertly worked every muscle in my body in a way that brought instant relief and healing.

She remarked that my muscles and joints were incredibly tight. She worked on my for an hour and we talked about food, women, and religion. She of course tried to convert me to Islam. Promised that if I converted, she could introduce me to her female friends that would treat me like a king and support me in any way I desired. She said American women were selfish and spoiled and that Muslim women knew how to treat their men.

I politely declined the sales pitch but agreed to get a massage at least once a month to try and fix my body.

Since I have never had a medicinal massage, I'm wondering if they are all so good. I would rather get my massages without the Islamic sales pitch or temptation.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Northern Virginia, where the freeway does roam.
    Get a foam roller and foam ball and use it daily to stretch your back.

Stretch frequently. Drink more water.

Boolit Master
    I've never had a professional one,, but my wife has.
    She's gotten several of them over the years,, AND can tell you that there are really good ones and others,, not so much. One girl that used to do them had a car accident & it caused her to switch professions. She was my wife's favorite, because her abilities were excellent & worked great. Currently,, my wife gets one every 4-8 weeks,, and she's found a masseuse that's "pretty good" but not the same as her favorite.
    Different people have different issues,, and as such, require different techniques. Finding someone who can figure it all out is what you need to have happen.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by contender1 View Post
    Different people have different issues,, and as such, require different techniques. Finding someone who can figure it all out is what you need to have happen.
    Absolutely! I was amazed when she found a muscle group that I had forgotten about that was super tender and needed work.

However, I am a skeptic. When she poked and prodded my stomach area and said that I was pre-diabetic and had liver issues, I was skeptical. But, I had been taking mouthfuls of Tylenol for about a month for my bad knee and noticed that my stools had turned light-colored. Google search revealed that too much used of painkillers can cause the liver to stop producing bile.

I had stopped all use of OTC painkillers about a week before and noticed an improvement in the darkening of stools. But the blood samples indicated a problem with my liver. This woman, by poking around my liver and gut, had figured out the issue and treatment all on her own. Cool!
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master

I would quit just over the religion aspect of it. Not necessarily because they are muslim but any religion. I respect everyone's views but I'm paying for a service not a sermon.

Online yoga. Free. Yoga with Adrian is on YouTube. She is very good.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Yep. Trying to avoid another back surgery. If it wasn't so expensive I would go more often. Once a month seems to help and she provided a couple of stretches that really seem to relieve pressure on nerves of lower back.

My left foot is partly numb, at one point she starts working on my left leg and suddenly I can feel sensation returning to that foot. Helps me get "upright" with head up, shoulders relaxed and down and back straight. By the time I go back head is sort of scrunched from tight muscles, shoulders are up and bracing the neck as well as wrapped around my front which causes me to hunch over.

I also use ice packs. Cut the pain down and muscles that are numb are not as tight. Chiropractor used to cover my back with ice packs to do adjustments. Needed because back then I was doing very physical labor and if I could feel the pressure and brace for it nothing would adjust. Ice kept things numb enough to adjust.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    No. Never tried it. Maybe one day..... I'm only 57.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Ya got a sermon instead of a happy ending?
    You might consider going back to the P.I. next time.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Moderator Emeritus

Yes I have.

I am not a fan of Chiropractors. I suspect I never had an issue that a Chiropractor could fix? (knock on wood)

Onto the therapeutic massage story:
    a couple decades ago, while laying bricks in a underground stairway, I overworked my Back. I went to the Chiropractor, because my insurance would cover some of the bill. I wasn't impressed. He took some xrays, and hooked me up to a electric shock machine that messaged the muscles for 15 minutes and told me to come back next week. He said it'll likely take many treatments to fix my problem.

After that Chiropractor visit, I complained to some friends about this. They tell me that I probably pulled a muscle and I should try a therapeutic massage, because Chiropractors are more about bones, than muscles.

I look around locally for a masseuse, one of the local hairstylists advertised therapeutic massage, $35 an hour (this was 20 years ago), it sure seemed reasonable. So I make an appointment. The masseuse asked my what the problem was, so she could concentrate on that area. Let me tell you, she really worked over those muscles well. Afterward, she said to drink a lot of water, so the body could flush the toxins out. She said that I'd probably need another message in a couple weeks...but just the one did it.

Since that time, when ever I have overworked my back, I make an appointment for a message and it has always done the trick.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master
    Drink plenty of fluids to help flush out the bad stuff out of your body. You will probably be even more sore the next day

Use to go to one that did a great job, but after so many years it damaged her fingers and shoulders. I would stumble out to the car but figured out if I went to the course and played a round of golf, I was very limber and had a good game. Once she had to retire, I have never had such a workover. Decent ones, just not great ones

Moderator Emeritus

Have you ever tried the traditional acupuncture, not the type done by chiropractors? The type with the "cupping", incense, etc. Had a great one about 20 years ago that got me walking again after my first accident. She did one modern thing where she hooked up electrodes to the needles. Wow, it was phenomenal and nothing like a tens unit. My kids would say I had pepperoni back from the impressions left after the procedure. Good luck.

Boolit Master

I had one 40 years ago but had to let her go because she rubbed me the wrong way.

Boolit Master
    My old hometown in Fla. Had a therapeutic massage school in the late 60's. After my hitch in the military, the local college used what they taught on the training table for their athletic programs for injury and warmup before/after games/events. Standard fare for most college and pro sports now. I don't hesitate to use them when I've overdone things.

I'm suprised a Muslim woman was allowed to be in a room with you without a male relative present, let alone lay hands on you.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Buddy
    I have gotten a few over the years. They make me feel worse afterwards, all with the same symptoms. My face and hands swell up, lots of sinus congestion, and it usually feels like I got my butt kicked in a fight the following day.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Boolit Bub
    Hey bud, if you like massages go try a pedicure.
    I used to laugh at my friends that did both - until I tried it.
    Holy smokes batman my feet never felt so good every time.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by SteveM54 View Post
    Hey bud, if you like massages go try a pedicure.
    I used to laugh at my friends that did both - until I tried it.
    Holy smokes batman my feet never felt so good every time.
    I would never subject a woman to such torture.

Boolit Master
    A good masseuse can work all the knots out of your muscles. I just recently got a few back only massage and the first one hurt because so many knots. That kind of deep tissue massage is fantastic about 2x a month especially if your back is very tight and if your a couch or recliner potato.
    After I get my surgery and recuperate I’m going for a full body massage head to toe.
    It really gets your circulation going. Try it, you’ll like it !!

Mike

My other half is a massage therapist and has her office right here in the house.
    We remodeled a room between the house and the barn....very nice country setting.
    I do not take nearly enough advantage of it, but at 72, she is slowing down and does about 2 massages a day for her long time clients.
    I would suggest every other week for a few months.
    See how it helps you.
    There are different style of massage and you may find one style suits you better.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast