Titan ReloadingRepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyWidenersLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RCBS Automatic Priming Tool handle...

Boolit Mold

RCBS Automatic Priming Tool handle...

Anyone replaced the handle ?
    I got mine just recently and on the second use I've got a blister near the base of my palm.
    I DO know that I need to get used to the low pressure needed on the handle, but something bigger / round would be nice.

Years ago, I used to have a older one. As I recall it did have a fat shaft and their green bicycle handle grip on it.

I looks it was redesigned and the old school one won't fit.
    You may just need to wear a glove, put your own pad on it, or not push past what it needs to fully seat a primer.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    I have the old Lyman 450 lubesizer that came with the bicycle grip handle. I like it much better after I replaced the bicycle grip with a 2" ball. Can you do this easily on the RCBS priming tool?
    Some times it's the pot,
    Some times it's the pan,
    It might even be the skillet,
    But, most of the time, it's the cook.

Boolit Mold
    Looks like I might have to get a wooden handle, bore out the mounting hole and epoxy it onto the arm.

Moderator Emeritus

I assume (?) you are referring to the bench mounted unit... I have/use three of them -- one each dedicated for a particular (e.g., LP, SP, Military) primer. Super guide/gunsmith/educator Darrel Holland has upgraded/modified the basic RCBS unit in soooo many ways -- not the least of which is a much more comfortable handle which might alleviate your "complaint" with the stock RCBS unit. Further, he has a spring to return handle up; and, a gizmo to maximize your primer seating -- for uniformity -- as well. He purveys a gauge to measure primer seated depth to complement the tool. (I asked, and my dad made one of his design for me using a dial indicator, so I needed not this accessory). Here's a photo of Mr. Holland's awesome (imho) innovation:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Holland RCBS Seater.JPG 
Views:	76 
Size:	135.5 KB 
ID:	292830 What one might do, too, is just buy parts (e.g., the handle-raising spring) separately if you ring his place of business and inquire.
    geo

Boolit Master

An older one of these is my favorite bench priming tool. I do not use the primer magazine. For longer priming sessions, I slip a short length of foam pipe insulation over the handle and that spreads out the load enough to avoid discomfort. As a side benefit, it looks funky.

Always been a little annoyed with the way that square bar fits my hand, maybe it's time to put a ball on the end to help it along.

Or now that I'm sitting here thinking about it, glue up a wood blank that will fit over the square bar and turn it down on the wood lathe.

Great, project 952 just got added to the list

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    Interesting. I have seated 10s of thousands of primers with mine and never had a problem. In my opinion, it is the best priming tool out there and at one point or another over the last 60 years I have used, or tried to use, most of them.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Love mine also, but I usually only prime 50 at a time.

I second what you wrote, roysha.
    I think I see a rip in the social fabric, Brother can you spare some ammo?
    Corb Lund

Boolit Master
    My wife had some problems like that. I went to the local farm supply store and got some of the horse leg wrap. Its cheap, soft & grippy, and comes in different colors plug different camo's. I got her purple, she was happy and so was I. If you don't want it any longer just unwrap it and you will never know it was there.

https://www.theisens.com/products/4-...xible-bandage/
    Last edited by Iowa Fox; 12-11-2021 at 12:29 AM.

Boolit Grand Master
    I only use mine for rifle loads and have never primed more than 200 cases at one time. I did not find it bothersome.
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy
    To me it feels like it requires a lot of effort to seat primers with this tool, or at least when I'm using it while sitting and not standing. Perhaps my brain is thinking there should be more mechanical advantage than what is necessary/desirable, but it tires my arm.
    Or, maybe I'm just a wimp.

Boolit Grand Master
    I've always hated the way it has to hang off the side of the table, or on a block.
    Probably why I just don't use it anymore.
    I've always wanted to cut/weld the handle higher.
    Anyone tried doing it????

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by abunaitoo View Post
    I've always hated the way it has to hang off the side of the table, or on a block.
    Probably why I just don't use it anymore.
    I've always wanted to cut/weld the handle higher.
    Anyone tried doing it????
    I agree. The design engineer must have been drunk when he designed the RCBS bench priming tool. I have and use one, but when I got it I realized it cannot be mounted flat on a bench top. The handle hits the bench before a primer can be seated. I had to fabricate a 2" "stand off" mount (or hang the handle 6" over the edge of the bench top.). I also shortened the handle 2" which helps and does not affect the leverage. But it is an RCBS so nobody complains (If it was red with "Lee" on it the complaints would be in the thousands!)...
    Last edited by mdi; 12-14-2021 at 01:44 PM.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master

I have limited bench space, so some of my tools are clamped on when in use. The Forster trimmer is screwed to a piece of 2x3, which is held in the jaws of the VersaVise at one end. This is a perfect height for power driving with a cordless drill/driver. Powder measures are C clamped in place. The big RCBS priming tool is also clamped when in use, with the handle angled off the bench edge. I stand when loading and made the bench height with that in mind. I can put a lot of grunt into the priming handle, which I like, as it makes for good feel when bottoming a primer - don't want too much mechanical advantage.

The bungee return really helps. Just have to push down. Mounting it up gives good hand clearance.

Boolit Mold
    Stewbaby, I like what you're doing there.
    I rummaged in the offcuts and junk and didn't come up with any great ideas. Then I thought that I'd just treat it like a knife. I can round the end of the lever and add scales (Knife handles) to the sides and round them off for a nicely finished solution.

Boolit Master

I don`t see any of the issues you guys are having as a problem.
    Like roysha, I have tried ever priming device out there and like this one best.
    I don`t see pushing on the handle hard enough to cause blisters with extended use.
    I don`t have a clue as to how many tens of thousands of primers I have seated without a problem.
    Mounting it in the edge of the bench solves the handle problem.

Moderator Emeritus

Stewbaby -- I applaud your stand! And, your genius in using the bungee cord. On all three of my RCBS primer units, instead, I have a spring purveyed by Darrel Holland (Holland Shooter Supply).Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Perfect primer seater spring.JPG 
Views:	15 
Size:	58.9 KB 
ID:	293057 Should you wish info/or even buy one -- their 'phone is 541.439.5155. I have my units mounted on 1/2" thick clear Plexiglas with an eye-bolt (1/4"-20) threaded into an end, which affords their being hung on wall when not used. For use, I simply C-clamp (the el cheapo 6" throat Harbor Freight C-clamps) -- one on each side -- and it works quite nicely. That precious bench space is not taken unless I'm priming is another big plus.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast