RotoMetals2RepackboxLee PrecisionLoad Data
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Wideners
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ruger #1 rebarrel and rechamber

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Quote Originally Posted by b money View Post
    Hello all, I’m about to pick up a ruger number 1 chambered in 20 tactical. I honestly don’t think I want to get into 20 cal. It’s already been rechambered to this and has a composite stock on it so I’m not worried about loosing value or anything. I got it for a really good price so that is why I’m thinking about rechambering it. This will be a fun range gun and possibly a hunting gun if I go out of state(Illinois). I’d like to be able to load it up or down and be able to run cast and jacketed and just really have fun with it. So what caliber would you make it? I was thinking 45-70 I’ve wanted one for years. But was also thinking .223rem as it’s a fun light economical round but I’m open to any suggestions. Thanks!
    If it were me. All said. I'd do it in 45-90. You can still shoot 45-70 ammo in it. In almost all cases the boolit is already in the throat before the base has left the case mouth if using a 45-70 in it. Best of both worlds. Shooting black or smokeless, jacketed or cast, light or heavy for caliber. Lots of options with this caliber and not an expensive one either. Loaded for fun at the range or loaded with serious punch in the field. Yup, that's my two cents worth.
    Last edited by MOA; 12-09-2021 at 05:09 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boolit Master
    .461 Gibbs No.2

Boolit Master

I am 73 and have relegated the strong kickers to the gun locker.
    I would suggest a 22 or 6mm to you can use it longer during your life time
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Cast Boolits Owner

I re-barreled a #3 which was originally 223 to 22TCM. I also have a #1 in 357 Magnum that I have considered introducing a 357Max reamer to. I have both a #3 (miserable to shoot) and a #1 in 45-70. I feel the 45-70 is my most versatile rifle cartridge as I can load it down with Unique or spice it up with 4198 or 3031.
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

Boolit Master
    Having fired my Good friends 45/70 no 1 with my cast loads I would not even consider the 223. You can load up or down with the 45/70 and enjoy the thrill of chucking a great chunk of lead into small groups. You have already discounted one sub caliber make it a clean sweep. Regards Stephen

Boolit Grand Master
    No wrong answer from the long list of possibles. For me, I'd love to have a #1 in .270 Win or .30-06. A .30-30 wouldn't a slouch, either. Without the common requirement to shoot flat nosed bullets, that .30-30 could do plenty with the vast array of .30 cal bullets out there.

Cast Boolits Owner

Quote Originally Posted by 725 View Post
    ……A .30-30 wouldn't a slouch, either. Without the common requirement to shoot flat nosed bullets, that .30-30 could do plenty with the vast array of .30 cal bullets out there.
    I have thought almost every time I look at my bucket full of 30-30 brass.
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

Boolit Master
    A Ruger #1 you want to rebarrel is like a blank sheet of paper. You can write a love letter, compose a symphony or make a paper airplane.

I had a #1 rebarreled to .405, it was fun with cast boolits designed for .41 Magnum run at pistol velocities OR 400gr Woodleigh soft points at 450/400 tropic level copycat loads. I should never have traded that gun off.

I currently have a 20” #1 in .44 Magnum and Ruger got that barrel right. Loads that are ouchie in a pistol are like a popgun in the #1. Hornady XTP’s are one hole at 50 yards, 1 1/2” at 100.

I’d love to have a #1 in 9,3x74mm, that should be capable of great things.

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Here's my 9.3

And my 450/400.

Won't be letting these get away from me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for all the replies! I do plan on getting an 1885 bpcr in 45-70 and also a 1895 marlin at some point so I’m leaning towards 45-70 to round out the future family lol. As far as 20 tactical I will keep the barrel but I’m just not excited about that one.
    I'll keep my guns and my money, you can keep the change!

Μολὼν λάβε

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MOA View Post
    Here's my 9.3

And my 450/400.

Won't be letting these get away from me.
    Those are good looking rifles. The 9.3 really intrigues me as I have a couple 9.3x62 bolt guns already.

Quote Originally Posted by b money View Post
    Thanks for all the replies! I do plan on getting an 1885 bpcr in 45-70 and also a 1895 marlin at some point so I’m leaning towards 45-70 to round out the future family lol. As far as 20 tactical I will keep the barrel but I’m just not excited about that one.
    .45/70 is never a bad choice.

9.3x62 from what I remember is basically the non-rimmed version of the 9.3x74R for a bolt action of roughly the same power level. The one point I haven't looked onto yet is how well this cartridge will function if smokeless powder ever became impossible to get is since it is pretty much a straight walled case some black powder might be an alternative power source. Something I'll have to look into come warmer weather. Of course the 45-70 is a good choice for b money. Not much it can't do, or hasn't done already.

9.3x74R standing tall next to a much smaller 30-06.
    Last edited by MOA; 12-14-2021 at 11:11 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boolit Grand Master
    No. 1---I did introduce my 357mag to a 357max reamer. It performs quite well!!!

Super Moderator Emeritus
    Just a bit of help for # 3 shooters changing to a # 1 butt stock sure helps the recoil and they bolt right on

Boolit Master

ruger #1.....7x57!!!
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Or 8x57, 9x57, 9.3x57, 9.3x72, or why not one of Ruger's limited production runs??? My favorite the 9.3x74R.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boolit Man
    Someday I'd like mine to be a .300 Savage. They've done the .250Sav, doesn't seem like the .300 will be any time soon.

Boolit Buddy
    I am also one who likes the idea of rimmed cartridges in single shot rifles. So my thoughts would run to.307 Win, 30/40 Krag, .303 British, .30/30, 7X57R, or something similar.

Boolit Grand Master
    I once bought a #1 that had been rebarreled to 32-40 by Bud Welch. I bought the rifle for the Unertl BV-20 it was wearing and since I already had two Winchester high walls in that caliber, sold the rifle. Sometimes I wish I had kept it, it shot very well.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

I want a #1 in 444 marlin, and a 500s&w. Or any other #1 I could get my hands on. The #1 is the rifle that keeps eluding me. Never have the cash when I can find one...
    "Give me liberty, or give me death!" Patrick Henry ,March 23, 1775