Load DataRepackboxWidenersInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading Everything
Titan Reloading

Thread: Found powder today

Found powder today

I was in one of the large sporting goods stores today and looked at their powder list. They had one pound containers of Red Dot. I told the guy I wanted one and when he brought it to me he said there were two and asked if I wanted the second one. I hesitated, but thought that by the time I go through the one pound the powder shortage should be easing up, and the next guy that wants a pound of Red Dot will be a happy customer.
    When I got home I wrapped it up for Christmas morning from Santa.

Great present! really like red dot.-
    I found a couple pounds of HP-38 yesterday being quite happy with finding some. Be using it in my 44 Special.

Yep. That's the natural order of things:

As little kids, we all believed in Santa Claus.
    As older kids, we didn't.
    As adults--- we became Santa Claus.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Nvbirdman and gc45: would you mind telling us the prices?

I scored an 8 lb keg on red dot and the 12ga. will go through it pretty quickly..............I usually get 2 if I can.

Boolit Master

Well I congratulate you on your present under the tree but mostly on the leaving some for someone else , I like red dot also , but have bought promo and imr red instead as I liked the price at the time .

As to the easing or end of the shortage I am making no guess .

I threw the receipt away, but I think it was $32.

Boolit Mold
    I agree with FLINTNFIRE, I respect you for leaving something available for the next person. Too many people are still panic buying or hoarding which makes it rough on everyone else.

Boolit Master
    Restocking the shelves with ammo will take some time, and the scarcity of primers/powder will last until that is done.

Boolit Master
    everybody I know that reloads has hit the wall on components, I'm fortunate that when it was good I had the means to stock my reload kitchen and I did (bought up closing gun shop inventory) all the guys are now dropping in for coffee and to "borrow" from my collection!!!

Thankfully after the last go round, I haven't got any needs when it comes to powder. And I'm sure not looking to take up a new cartridge to start loading for.

It may just be me, but I'm thinking a lot of people sought primers first, powder second. At some point, balance needs to be taken into consideration. Of course one can always do some trading if it's the only way to get what they need.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Kevin C - I paid $32. each. hard to stomach too. I won't be loading any test loads at that price due to my short primer stash.

Quote Originally Posted by FLINTNFIRE View Post

As to the easing or end of the shortage I am making no guess .
    It already is in southeast Michigan/northwest Ohio. Was in two large sporting goods stores this week. One national chain, one Ohio local chain. The national chain has been shrinking their reloading stuff for the last 5-6 years but they did have some powder, primers, 22lr and fair amount of rifle and pistol ammo. Decent supply of hunting shotgun ammo. SP primers were $90 a brick. 22LR were same price for a box of 1000.

The smaller Ohio chain had probably 150-200 lbs. of powder, considerable inventory in loaded ammo, a good supply of reloading tools. They also had considerable, as in thousands of reloading bullets. Mostly Hornady, rifle and pistol.

Primers are still in relatively short supply.

Last week picked up a flat or Remington Gun Clubs in 12 gauge for a buddy. $85. Could have taken out as many as I wanted. Guy before me bought a half dozen flats.

In January, all three of these gunshops had virtually zero inventory in any category. Zero loading equipment, components of any kind, loaded ammo from pellets all the way up to elephant loads were stripped of the shelf.

I think there was a lot of stuff that was bought a year ago for guns these morons didn't even own. I think the thinking was it would make trading fodder when the world collapsed.

It will be interesting to see how much of that will end up in the landfill when Grampa croaks and the kids are cleaning out the basement and find a couple of boxes of 500 Nitro Express squirreled away in the floor joists.

"But I thought Grandpa was a rabbit hunter?"

Boolit Master

Well I see maybe 3 pounds of powder no primers , some ammo , but higher prices for sure , still limits most places , shortage is still strong from what I am seeing , wish it was not so .

Online little to none in primers and powder and with limits shipping and hazmat its a no go as far as I am concerned , but I have a decent amount , so I can wait and let those who need get what they can , when it becomes available and at a better price in relation to other goods I will buy .

Saw Aguila for $15 for 500 , but though it said buy online and pick up in store there was no option to buy online as it would refer you to buy in store only , love the catch-22 .

Local Dunham's, that NEVER sells reloading stuff, has ~ 15,000 CCI #34 on the shelf. $8.99 a sleeve.

No limit. I don't need them. Have several years worth of SR primers still on my shelf. At that price I can wait.

Told a buddy about them, he's probably going to pick some up.

I went to the same place that I bought a pound of H110 for $32 two years ago.....
    Today a pound of H110 was $38 and I grabbed it. They had a fair selection of powders, but no 3031 which is more of a want than a need.
    I watched a guy buy a brick of SR primers for $100- it was the only primers they had. No thanks on that one.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Watching for 8# jugs of 2400 and Unique. I would like to see an ivory billed woodpecker too.

As 15 meter stated ohio has been getting a lot of powder in lately. Was at the youngstown (boardmen) ohio fin fur feather on 12/23/2021 and they had powder. They have a sign "1 container of powder per person per day". There was a lot of people walking around with powder in their hands (10+ @ 2:00pm/store opens at 10:00am)

I have enough powder laying around to keep me busy for awhile. But I did buy 1# of AA#7, want to do test loads in several different calibers with it.

This is what's left on the shelves when I left the store.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Their primers are still $79.99/1000, to much $$$ for me, I'm sure they'll come back down. They always do & with the new plants being built and the remington plant back up and running. The market will be flooded again.

Boolit Master
    My LGS had a dozen or so pounds of WW244 so I picked up a bottle to try out. $33. Supposed to be a bit slower than 231. Saw some 8 lb. jugs available online and wanted to try it out.