Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyRepackboxRotoMetals2Wideners
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading

Thread: Coffee Size

Coffee Size

I am becoming very interested in coffee. Like everything else, there is enough information available to make my head spin and I’m looking for a starting place. I’ve read reviews on grinders, roasters, coffee makers, and I’ve got a list narrowed down to 500 of each.
    I would like to focus on one item at a time and it seems coffee grinders are on the top of my list. Currently I drink one cup ( 3 cups according to the marks on the coffee pot) per day and I’m not a fan of adding sweetener.

Questions:
    How long should a grinder last?
    Recommendations on a grinder?
    How to determine the size to make coffee grinds?

Any opinions and info will be greatly appreciated.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    The small coffee grinders work fine. I’ve owned several and none ever wore out. I would wait to start roasting your own beans until you have figured out the type you like and with what you will be making it with.

Super Moderator

My wife and I use this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Braun-KSM2-WH...17789866&psc=1

We don't roast our own coffee though. We buy beans roasted locally by Late for the Train here in Flagstaff. Good stuff!

https://lateforthetrain.com/

Check for your local coffee roasting places.

I have a Cuisinart coffee maker with the built-in grinder. It has lasted quite a while. I believe America's Test Kitchen did a test on grinders many years ago. They came to the conclusion that the burr grinders were far superior to the spice mill choppers that have the blades in them.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master
    Wow $178 for the Braun blade grinder. We have a Krups blade grinder that ran less than $20. I use that one the most. Also have a Melita burr grinder that that hardly ever gets used. The burr grinders are better when grinding a lot of coffee. IMO. The Secura grinder on Amazon runs $36.96 and closely resembles our Melita.

Been using (CoffeeAM.com) for my bean purchases for many years.

Winelover

Boolit Master
    I have a Mr Coffee burr mill, that except for sounding like someone is launching jet from the kitchen, has been great! It has an adjustable grind size(that's one of the best attributes of burr grinders) that's consistent. I use a Moki express pot, but sometimes use a French press. Have fun.

Boolit Master
    Serious coffee drinkers simply do not have time, or the patience, to do all of that stuff. We simply buy Folgers in the 3 pound can.

Boolit Buddy
    I've had a Braun burr grinder since the 1980's. Use it every morning and it still works great. Don't know if the current ones are built to last decades like mine.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Froogal View Post
    Serious coffee drinkers simply do not have time, or the patience, to do all of that stuff. We simply buy Folgers in the 3 pound can.
    And Four cans to the case. My Bunn coffee pot hadn't been turned off in ten years. (Knock on wood)'only time it goes off is when the power is out.
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

I am enjoying the responses. Thanks guys.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Boolit Master
    I've had both the blade and the burr, and prefer the burr...
    "Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." - Ernest Hemingway

Boolit Master

Used to do all that stuff, but I now buy the 3# bag of Great Value from Wmart in French Roast. I usually drink a pot every morning.

Boolit Master
    It’s a rabbit hole. Pick one thing and try it until you know what you want better, then make a change.

Start with a burr grinder.

See this https://www.homegrounds.co/coffee-grind-chart/

Boolit Grand Master

I've been using the Mr. Coffee burr grinder for years. The adjustable grind is necessary - if you use multiple ways to make coffee. I buy my coffee beans roasted - 2lb Tanzanian Peaberry medium roast and 1lb Colombian Dark Roast - combined and put in glass containers that keep out the oxygen. Lasts just over a month. I once made the mistake of ordering green coffee beans and learned to roast them myself - not complicated but also not a scent I want in the house. Don't have an outbuilding to put a roaster in, so I rely on others to roast it.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

The smaller the grind the more coffee flavor you can extract from a given bean.

Grind goes along with how much coffee to how much water. Like it stronger? Grind more. Weaker, grind less.

I measured my normal grind this morning. It is just short of 1/8th of a cup once ground.
    If that helps anyone.

Fine grinds cost you less per cup because you use less coffee, fewer beans. With good roasted beans at 6 to 12$ a pound this can add up over time.

This is the grinder I use.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Currently 25$ at Amazon. Mine is over 3 years old now. Does minimum of 70 cranks per morning. If I am up at 4 or 5 am it will be about double that and a 20 oz brew instead of 11.

But there is also a huge difference in beans, and fresher is better. That is why so many real coffee fans end up buying green beans and roasting once a week or so.
    Last edited by GhostHawk; 12-10-2021 at 06:13 AM.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!