RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Inline FabricationLoad DataLee PrecisionRepackbox
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Violated my own rule....dang it

Boolit Master

I was breaking down some shot shells and dumped shot in my powder, didn't realize it until I started loading some shells. 25 gr. on first one, 58 gr. on the next one, 69 gr. on the last one. Thought my measure was screwed up so I tore it all apart an put it back. Then threw some more and they were screwed up too. Calibrated the scale with same results again. Finally saw a piece of 8 1/2 shot in the pan. 3 ounces of 8 1/2 shot in a 4# jug sure takes a lot of time to find. Didn't have a screen that would work.

Your not the first nor the last to do this; guilty, guilty, guilty myself. The goods news is, most of us will discard the powder learning an exspensive lesson.

Boolit Master
    Done it! I made that rule for myself too, so far it has been an effective mitigation.

Glad I'm not the only one...
    I'm a big fan of data-driven decisions. You want to make me smile, show me a spreadsheet! Extra points for graphs and best-fit predictive equations.

Boolit Bub
    I guess it pays to keep a cluttered bench. I only have room for 1 can of powder on it. LOL

The last time I pulled this stunt was in 1972 I believe. I distinctly remember that it was IMR 4350 that I poured into a can of H4831. 49 yrs ago. I guess if I do it every 49 yrs I will only be 123 yrs old then. Wonder what reloading and casting will be like in 2070??
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by murf205 View Post
    The last time I pulled this stunt was in 1972 I believe. I distinctly remember that it was IMR 4350 that I poured into a can of H4831. 49 yrs ago. I guess if I do it every 49 yrs I will only be 123 yrs old then. Wonder what reloading and casting will be like in 2070??
    I really hate to rain on your parade---but---If you did that 49 years ago and you only do that every 49 years---time up, so, be VERY careful this next year!!
    R.D.M.

Quote Originally Posted by Markopolo View Post
    this is why I love the aliant "dot" powders... sooooo nice to see them red dots!!!!
    That's how I discovered I had poured a can of Green dot into a can of Unique.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by skeettx View Post
    Logic is OK waksupi, but how do you do load duplication if the
    mix is the most accurate thing you have ever loaded? he he he
    I resemble that remark.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DDriller View Post
    I was breaking down some shot shells and dumped shot in my powder, didn't realize it until I started loading some shells. 25 gr. on first one, 58 gr. on the next one, 69 gr. on the last one. Thought my measure was screwed up so I tore it all apart an put it back. Then threw some more and they were screwed up too. Calibrated the scale with same results again. Finally saw a piece of 8 1/2 shot in the pan. 3 ounces of 8 1/2 shot in a 4# jug sure takes a lot of time to find. Didn't have a screen that would work.
    Sounds like you need a lead magnet.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    Considering the slow burn rate of BL C(2) in the .223, and considering how cheap I am, I probably would have used the TAC loading info and used it for plinking powder. The BL C(2) would have acted as a filler.

Prepared to catch hell from everyone!
    No hell here to give , I would have probably loaded some plinking loads also , in this time of short supply .

But I load light rounds with old surplus for the youngest son to learn with .

Guess I am cheap to .

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by murf205 View Post
    I was tempted but when there is a VERY inquisitive 7 yr old around you don't want to encourage that!!!
    He would love it. Use it as a safety teaching opportunity! My dad bought me either a Chemistry Set or a Gilbert Microscope set every year for Christmas. I later went on to get a BS in Biology and Chemistry.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DDriller View Post
    I have done that many times. Take the contaminated powder/shot and pour it into a long, flat bottomed pan. Tilt pan. Shot quickly rolls down to one end, powder stays at the other end.

Boolit Master

Having loaded for more than 50 years , I haven`t done that.
    I fill the hopper of whichever measure I am using and set the can of powder next to it.
    I never, I repeat, never have 2 different powders on the bench at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by dondiego View Post
    He would love it. Use it as a safety teaching opportunity! My dad bought me either a Chemistry Set or a Gilbert Microscope set every year for Christmas. I later went on to get a BS in Biology and Chemistry.
    He probably would love it. My dad bought a chemistry set for me for Christmas as well and the result was some purple stain on the wall of my room and my clothes as well. Maybe the chemistry set was what made an electrician out of me.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Grand Master

Glad you caught this boo boo. I've haven't done that. Yet!!! But I'm pretty set on only having one can of powder out at a time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12