Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyWideners
Load DataTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Violated my own rule....dang it

Violated my own rule....dang it

My self imposed rule is to never have 2 different kinds of powder on the bench at the same time. I was loading 223's and had about 3/4 lb of TAC on the bench and about 1/4 lb can of BL-c2 on a table adjoining. I picked it up and poured it into the powder measure and set it on the bench. Dropped 10 rounds of BL-c2 in some cases and seated the Sierras. About this time my grandson came in and started pestering me to use the computer and I told him to wait a min till I got everything put away. Then I took the powder measure and promptly dumped the BL-c2 into the TAC can! The minute I did it I knew I had boo booed. Oh well, it made the trip to Mama Murf's rose garden. I know I am not the only one to do this but the only other time this happened powder was $3.05 a lb.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master
    There are those who have, and those who will. Just have a distraction at the wrong time and.....

Boolit Buddy

I bought a Sinclair powder bottle adapter for my RCBS Uniflow. It's an aluminum adapter that lets you screw a Hodgdon bottle directly onto my measure. Powder never leaves the origional bottle except to go into case. They sell bottles for powder that does not come with that style can/bottle. GW

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by G W Wade View Post
    I bought a Sinclair powder bottle adapter for my RCBS Uniflow. It's an aluminum adapter that lets you screw a Hodgdon bottle directly onto my measure. Powder never leaves the origional bottle except to go into case. They sell bottles for powder that does not come with that style can/bottle. GW
    It would still have to come out for a trickler. No doubt your way reduces the risk, but I'd rather keep my baffle.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I started only to keep all powder at the other end of the room, except the one I was using. That was after I dumped a half full Lyman 55 back into the wrong container. The one I put it in was almost full too. I didn’t want to loose all that powder, so I cut the top of the plastic bottle off a good ways below the level of the powder and removed the contaminated part. I was lucky the two powders had very different looking grains, so I could be sure I got it all.

Boolit Master

Ones that have and ones that haven't yet.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    My amendment can beat up your amendment.

Boolit Buddy

I'm guilty, cost me almost an entire pound of Titegroup, lesson learned

Boolit Master
    Did it one time about 50 years ago. My rule was the same as yours back then and still is today, haven't done it since. I was buying powder back then for less than $3.00 a pound but I was only making about $6.00 an hour.

Boolit Master

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	33C8108E-2C89-469D-B40C-34D84CF6B802.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	57.6 KB 
ID:	292741
    Lead Forever!

The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. -Ken Konecki, July 27, 1992

John Galt was here.

"Politics is the art of postponing an answer until it is no longer relevant". (From the movie 'Red Tails')

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    I started only to keep all powder at the other end of the room, except the one I was using. .
    ^^this^^

I haven't mistakenly mixed any powders yet, and I'm sure trying not to either.

It's an easy deal for me. The bench is on one end of the shop, all the powders are in a cabinet on the other.
    I don't have multiple presses set up at the same time for different calibers either.
    I'll set up to load one cal. for what I think I'll shoot for a year or two,
    clear & clean the bench, and then set up for the next one.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodman14 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	33C8108E-2C89-469D-B40C-34D84CF6B802.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	57.6 KB 
ID:	292741
    ^^^^
    Best one yet!!

Have not contaminated a jug of powder yet. I did have a full powder measure and lost track of what was in it. Had to dump it all.

USMC 77, USRA 79

this is why I love the aliant "dot" powders... sooooo nice to see them red dots!!!!
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Grand Master

The more expensive the broken rule ... the more likely I'm going to remember it !

Good catch on the boo-boo ... You get a big ATTABOY for being alert !

Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Thanks Gary. I am not into duplex loads so that's why the rose bushes got the uh oh. I waited 2 months for that darned TAC!
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Considering the slow burn rate of BL C(2) in the .223, and considering how cheap I am, I probably would have used the TAC loading info and used it for plinking powder. The BL C(2) would have acted as a filler.

Prepared to catch hell from everyone!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

Logic is OK waksupi, but how do you do load duplication if the
    mix is the most accurate thing you have ever loaded? he he he
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

I have same rule. Have caught myself on two occasions violating it but kids and grandkids not around and apparently wife was taking a break from her supervision of my activities so I managed to dodge a mix. But I figure sooner or later..... when not if as they say.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Banned

I never throw powder away. There are just too many pyrotechnic options...............

I guess this is one mistake I havent made yet. `unlike yesterdays change to a heavier j word at the last minute and kept the same powder plans. Lucky for my old manuals that say ok maybe at max.

Quote Originally Posted by dondiego View Post
    I never throw powder away. There are just too many pyrotechnic options...............
    I was tempted but when there is a VERY inquisitive 7 yr old around you don't want to encourage that!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast