WidenersLoad DataSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Lee Precision

Thread: AK rebarrel and upgrade

Boolit Master

AK rebarrel and upgrade

I hadn't shot my Yugo AK in a long time but, with the Biden admin cracking down on Russian ammo, I decided to handload and cast for the 7.62x39 - with hugely disappointing results:

15 yard target - more like a shotgun, yikes:

So, after slugging the bore it turned out that my barrel was severely worn and I decided to rebarrel it with a new US-made barrel from Apex:

Press old barrel out:

De-populate old barrel, install new barrel and re-populate it with everything that attaches to it. This process took hours to complete:

Of note is the Sabrewerks KOP (Kalashnikov Optics Platform) - a replacement of the rear-sight block with a dovetailed system that accepts various slide-on pieces to hold iron sights, red-dots and even magnified optics. Each of those has their own built-in rear iron-sight leaf:

Off to the range:

1a. Getting the irons set; first at 25 yards to get on paper using Monarch 123gr FMJ ammo:

1b. First 2-shot group at 50 yards with irons:

2a. Mount Vortex red-dot and sight-in:

2b. 50 yard 3-shot group, about a half-inch:

3. 1-6x LPVO which will be mounted once the KOP long rail gets here today:

Getting this done was a heck more work and anxiety than I expected - but the results are hugely gratifying and I look forward to seeing what this rifle does at 100, 200 and 300 yards.
    Last edited by AndyC; 12-18-2021 at 06:33 PM.
    My Iraq Pics

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club

Boolit Bub
    If the Russians find out that you made the AK better in its qualities than when it was just produced in their factory - they will try to convince you that you did everything wrong.
    Great work.
    I never thought that AK is able to make holes so close to each other.

Boolit Master

Thank you - I think this tight US-made barrel has to take 99% of the credit. The scope-rail arrived today, so the scope has been mounted and I'm looking forward to testing everything

My Iraq Pics

T. Whelen would consider that rifle interesting!

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Moderator Emeritus

Wow, impressive results. New barrel and fit being king really showed. Nice. Good luck.
    Ron

I put together one of those “kits” you used to be able to buy from Midway, mine was a Polish folding stock paratrooper model, for those unfamiliar the kit was a rifle with the barrel and the receiver torched in half, here ya go kid. Due mostly to life getting in the way plus getting in way over my head it took years to get that project done. But back to the point, I used one of those Apex barrels. Did you have to dill the gas port? That was fun! Also none of the pin holes were drilled on mine, I had to drill and ream all of them on a milling machine. But my, what a shooter! I had absolutely no idea an AK had accuracy potential until I had this one to play with. Yours looks like a lot of fun, I like your scope mount, which looks like it’s being put to good use!

Since this is a cast bullet website I guess I should mention the Lee 160gr .312 spitzer shoots great in mine
    Last edited by AviatorTroy; 12-15-2021 at 12:57 AM.
    Airplanes and guns should always be made out of metal.

Boolit Master

I had to drill everything except the handguard-retainer cut-out; the gas-port was a particularly anxious time, but all ended well. I'm glad you got yours up and running - building an AK is quite something.
    My Iraq Pics

Boolit Buddy
    WoW...great job, thats an amazing difference.
    I used a pair of Apex barrels on my yugo M72 builds,, one stock length with bipod, one shorty 16" without.
    Accuracy in both seems no better then your typical AK,, but that could be the crap AK sights and my failing eyes. I really need to get some glass mounted on them and see if their capable of better, but scope mount choices for the M72's leave me dissapointed...

Boolit Master

Quality barrels do help and I'm really glad I went with the KOP system for optics - aging eyes need all the help they can get.
    My Iraq Pics

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by yovinny View Post
    WoW...great job, thats an amazing difference.
    I used a pair of Apex barrels on my yugo M72 builds,, one stock length with bipod, one shorty 16" without.
    Accuracy in both seems no better then your typical AK,, but that could be the crap AK sights and my failing eyes. I really need to get some glass mounted on them and see if their capable of better, but scope mount choices for the M72's leave me dissapointed...
    The M72 rear sight notch seems narrower than the standard AK but I’ve never actually measured it. I find it more accurate in good light but tough to see as it gets darker. I believe they were issued with clip on tritium night sights so that wouldn’t have been a problem during their service days.

They look great with the shorty barrel. Makes me wish I had grabbed another kit when they were cheap.

Boolit Bub
    Impressive results, particularly with the Monarch ammo.

Did you happen to slug the new barrel?

Boolit Master

Sure did:

.311", on the nose.
    My Iraq Pics

Good job on the barrel. How was your gas valve? On some of mine with corroded barrels the spindle was severly corroded as was it's bore in the gas block. The worst one you could move the valve back and forth 1/8" on one side and 1/16" on the other.

Boolit Bub
    I've got a pieces n' parts Romanian that needs to be assembled that has a U.S. made barrel. The guy I got it from told me where the barrel came from but forget now a decade later. Guess I should rivet that sucker together. Might be as good as yours.

Boolit Master

You should, yep

Quote Originally Posted by Moleman- View Post
    Good job on the barrel. How was your gas valve? On some of mine with corroded barrels the spindle was severly corroded as was it's bore in the gas block. The worst one you could move the valve back and forth 1/8" on one side and 1/16" on the other.
    You know, I didn't think to check that - I don't notice any reliability issues but thanks for the reminder.
    My Iraq Pics