Snyders JerkyRepackboxLee PrecisionWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reservations About Consuming Venison from CWD Areas

Boolit Master

Reservations About Consuming Venison from CWD Areas

I have become leery of consuming venison because of CWD. The CDC recommends not eating any deer until it is tested as negative, and discard meat from the ones that test positive.

How do you handle this situation?

Boolit Master
    We had it when I resided in Michigan and it's been showing up recently in Arkansas. My county is in the CWD zone. Has never been proven that it's transmittable to humans.

Just harvest healthy acting deer. None acting weird/wobbly.

Winelover

Banned
    Well it is a prion type disease and you are talking about artificial proteins so I would definitely get any meat tested and by someone who knows what they doing for the test.

Boolit Buddy
    In our county we have mandatory testing for all deer taken during opening weekend of firearms season. We have taken them in for testing the last four years and all have come back negative. The first year we paid to have the meat processed. The negative test results were back before the meat was ready for pick up. The last three years I’ve processed at home. We usually have heart for breakfast the next morning and stew for dinner.

We also tend to take younger deer and MDC doesn’t seem as concerned about them. From what I’ve read it seems to be the breeding age deer that tend to spread the brain funk. Wifey’s little immature buck from a few weeks ago is already about a quarter eaten. Our results should be in soon but he was a very heathy looking lad, aside from the wonky little excuse for antlers. If the results come back positive we’ll toss the rest to the dogs. Personally, I feel like eating at a restaurant is more of a gamble than CWD.

I like my steaks medium rare, my burgers medium, and my eggs either sunny side up or over easy. I have no doubt that CWD is a major problem but life is a series of risk/reward decisions. We all have to do what we feel is right for ourselves.

Boolit Buddy
    CWD. mad deer, mad cow, mad elk, mad sheep and yes mad people (it has been detected). Just eat road kill, probably safer! Is there any state that does not have CWD?
    West of Beaver Dick's Ferry.

Boolit Master
    Funny you should mention "road kill". Road killed deer are specifically warned against. I guess it makes sense because can't observe behavior of the animal.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by trebor44 View Post
    CWD. mad deer, mad cow, mad elk, mad sheep and yes mad people (it has been detected). Just eat road kill, probably safer! Is there any state that does not have CWD?
    In humans it's called "kuru." Or Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kuru_(disease)

Bill

Boolit Grand Master

I simply try to use a little common sense when it comes to things I eat ...

But you have to remember I have eaten Pickled Pigs Lips , Squirrels , Raccoons , Spam and most things that swim , fly , creep or crawl ... use enough heat and it will kill any bacteria , virus or bug ...
    Cook it well done and don't eat anything raw ... No Sue-she !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master

What is there to think about?

If the test comes back negative, you are safer than any FDA approved beef, there is no test for mad cow. Even if it is positive, not a single human being has ever contracted CWD. It is neurological disease. The meat does not contain CWD. Don't eat the brain, and don't hacksaw the spine. As long as you don't contaminate the meat, you will not come into contact with CWD, which doesn't matter anyway, since humans can not get CWD.

Straight from the CDC. "To date, there have been no reported cases of CWD infection in people"

Who even cares what the CDC thinks at this point? They are rotten at the core.

Also, over cooking does not kill Prions, so stop ruining your steaks. Your family will thank you.
    Last edited by megasupermagnum; 12-06-2021 at 02:58 PM.

Fully cooking might not kill a prion. It can survive 200°C (392°F) for 2 hours. I don't want any meat that over cooked and the prion will still be active.

Pretty good article about them. It'll ask you to accept cookies, but it can be read and not take their cookies.

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com...s-are-forever/
    Let's go Brandon!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by BJK View Post
    Fully cooking might not kill a prion. It can survive 200°C (392°F) for 2 hours. I don't want any meat that over cooked and the prion will still be active.

Pretty good article about them. It'll ask you to accept cookies, but it can be read and not take their cookies.

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com...s-are-forever/
    If you cook a steak past 200 degrees, you may as well throw the meat away, tan the hide, and eat that.

Boolit Buddy
    I have read that brain matter and spinal fluid should be avoided but I don’t plan to consume those anyway.

Edit* I started my post but never finished it. It seems Megasupermagnum beat me to the punch

Boolit Master

I was out on a UTV ride a couple of weeks ago and came across a husband and wife hunting duo leaving the woods. We stopped and chatted about the dismal hunting this year due to CWD and Blue Tongue disease. The wife said she tried to shoot a doe, but it was just circling and circling "like a ballerina". She said it was weird and she never could get a shot off, but must have been trying to protect a nearby fawn.

Uh, no. That's a symptom of a diseased deer suffering from CWD. These people were actually going to shoot and eat a deer with CWD.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master
    I don’t hunt deer, but am curious if you see a deer with symptoms do you waste a tag on it and call a game warden for disposal, or just leave it be?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    I don’t hunt deer, but am curious if you see a deer with symptoms do you waste a tag on it and call a game warden for disposal, or just leave it be?
    That's where ethics and law collide. The ethical thing to do is shoot it. If it is during the season, then I wouldn't even hesitate. I'd then call a warden, and see how it plays out. If it wasn't in the season, then it is a lot tougher call. If it really is so sick that you contemplate shooting it, I'd say you should have enough time to call a warden first, provided you have cell reception. If not, the coyote's have to eat too.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    I was out on a UTV ride a couple of weeks ago and came across a husband and wife hunting duo leaving the woods. We stopped and chatted about the dismal hunting this year due to CWD and Blue Tongue disease. The wife said she tried to shoot a doe, but it was just circling and circling "like a ballerina". She said it was weird and she never could get a shot off, but must have been trying to protect a nearby fawn.

Uh, no. That's a symptom of a diseased deer suffering from CWD. These people were actually going to shoot and eat a deer with CWD.
    I'm thinking you are correct, but does do circle around, often for fawns, but I've seen them do it for no apparent reason. The catch is they will take off if you get close enough. You are probably correct, but deer aren't super bright either, so I wouldn't be so certain that was a case of CWD.

Boolit Grand Master
    you need to quit hunting and take up golf
    no mad club disease
    do not worry about cwd after aren't we all mad
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Buddy
    “We’re all mad here…”

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by trebor44 View Post
    CWD wildlife are more likely to become roadkill.
    Only the states that don't test are CWD free (Sure!).
    Feeding deer seems to greatly increase the % with CWD.
    When there are large numbers of CWD, you soon reach the point where there are no legal bucks. Sometime after that there are no longer any does mature enough to have fawns.
    Cats have developed CWD. So far, no canines have developed CWD.
    A CWD antelope was traced as the source of Mad Cow in people (vCJD/nvCJD) in England.
    I believe our Gov't still says no one in the USA has died of nvCJD unless they traveled to Europe. Not true. A friends wife died of it without ever leaving the USA. It was probably caused by Scrapie, the sheep version. Don't eat brains!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Scrounge View Post
    In humans it's called "kuru." Or Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kuru_(disease)

Bill
    CJB is when old people get it. New Variant/Variant CJB is when young people get it.
    There have seemingly been old folks dying of it forever and then it was given a name. Now young folks have a new name.
    Kuru was what they called it when cannibals got it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast