Snyders JerkyInline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackbox
Lee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Wideners RotoMetals2

Thread: Lyman vs Miha 525 wad slug

Boolit Master

Lyman vs Miha 525 wad slug

Are these two different makers slugs the same dimensions? In particular the same height

Yes, they are all the same dimensions, but the Mihec Mould is FAR Superior to the others and will make perfect slugs almost from the first pour! I had three different makers moulds for this slug. The only one that was not problematic was the Mihec Mould.

This is pretty much true of all his moulds.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    I have to agree about Mihec molds. I got one Thursday and was curious about the dimensions compared to the others. Thanks

Boolit Man
    What are the dimensions of yours? I have a russian made mold for this same style slug (copy of the lyman 525gr). Curious if it is the same dimensions.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JeepsAndGuns View Post
    What are the dimensions of yours? I have a russian made mold for this same style slug (copy of the lyman 525gr). Curious if it is the same dimensions.
    Standing on it's base, .769 tall, top band .679, bottom band .664 the skirt was .100. This was from what is sold as range lead here.

Boolit Man
    Measured a couple of my slugs.
    .780 tall
    .683 top band
    .664 skirt

This is the one I have:

The fact that it came with 4 different inserts for changing the weights was what made me choose this one. It has been real fun trying out the different weights. So far the 494 gr slug has been the most accurate. I used data for 1-1/8 oz field load of longshot with the 494 gr slug. Got right at 1300 fps average velocity.
    The other weights shoot good too. The 432 gr slug really like 1150fps with 700x.
    The 525gr slug also liked longshot using data for 1-1/4oz load. Got it about 1240 fps average.
    Last edited by Red River Rick; 12-09-2021 at 08:04 PM. Reason: Ebay links are not allowed

Boolit Buddy
    J&G---what wads did you use for your best loads with these 4 slug weights? I just got one of these Russian molds and will be trying these out very soon. I'd love to hear about your experience with the different weights.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by FullTang View Post
    J&G---what wads did you use for your best loads with these 4 slug weights? I just got one of these Russian molds and will be trying these out very soon. I'd love to hear about your experience with the different weights.
    I listed the slug weights and the powder used in my post. The actual load data was from the lyman 5th edition manual. I used win AA hulls and the data from the manual.

Boolit Buddy
    Good to know! I'll probably try mine first in WT12 orange wads and/or Win white wads with Rem hulls, then 12SO and 12C1 wads in Fiocchi hulls. I've found that the genuine Winchester wads shoot best for me overall, across a wide range of slug loads, and for whatever reason the orange wads shoot best of all, even though they're supposed to be an economy version of the white wads.