Load DataInline FabricationRepackboxLee Precision
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky

Thread: 1887 lever 12ga slug gun?

Banner Sponsor

1887 lever 12ga slug gun?

Hi everybody,
    I already posted this in the gunsmith section but didn't get any responses. So I thought I'd ask here.
    I have an import M87 copy of the Winchester 1887. It has a 20" smooth bore barrel. I've been thinking about turning it into a slug gun.
    One option would be to have it reamed and threads cut for a screw in rifled choke tube.
    Another option would be to replace the barrel with a fully rifled one. I have a Savage take off 24" rifled barrel and an ER Shaw 24" rifled blank.
    I no longer have my lathe, so I'll have to send it out to have the work done.
    If I went with the choke tube, I could always put in a regular one and hunt birds with it also...
    From everything I've read on here, it would probably give much better accuracy with a fully rifled barrel.
    Any thoughts on this?
    Just leave it alone and buy a Savage bolt action slug gun? LoL

Boolit Grand Master

I have had similar thoughts myself but not acted on them. I always liked the 1887.

Nothing wrong with smoothbore for out to 50 or 60 yards.

Rifled choke tubes get mixed reviews but I haven't seen any posted where slug/wad fit was "analyzed" or wad slugs vs. bore diameter slugs compared for accuracy.

Some seem to get pretty good accuracy from rifled choke tubes and Taofledemaus videos of slug tests using an extended rifled choke tube indicate good spin and stabilization of slugs.

However, I have no guns threaded for choke tubes so no personal experience.

You could do a search of this site and others looking at posts then assess whether it's worth it or not.

A fully rifled barrel is pretty much guaranteed to work well but then restricts the gun to slug only.

Longbow
    Last edited by longbow; 12-05-2021 at 05:12 PM. Reason: spelling

Boolit Grand Master

While I never really had a strong desire for an 1887, I think we all have been caught in this same conundrum. If the barrel mounts on the 1887 in a similar manner to the 1897, then you could theoretically make the barrels removable Savage barrel nut style. It would require at least a wrench, and likely a vice to change barrels, but if they mount to a face in the frame like the 1897, then no chamber gauges would be needed.

I'm not sure I'd go that route myself. The short version to your questions are that, yes, a fully rifled barrel is what you want if you are trying to maximize your range with slugs. Rifled choke tubes can be accurate, but they have problems, as one would expect with a short section of rifling at the end of a barrel. They also have a tendency to tighten up really bad, although there are work arounds to that.The cost to have a barrel threaded for tubes is something like $75. Then the rifled choke tube is another $75. I'm only guessing the cost to have one of your barrels mounted to your 1887 is around $300, I could be way off. So about twice the price.

As of late, I'm leaning more smooth bore myself. I've got more than my share of rifled guns, but they are a one trick pony. They are the way to go if you hunt an area that requires single projectile shotguns for big game, other than that, they lack versatility. Especially in an 1887, I'd hate to give up the ability to shoot buckshot. At a 20" barrel, I'm guessing it doesn't have a good balance for a wingshooting gun, but it should still do fine for closer range stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by lar45 View Post
    Hi everybody,
    I already posted this in the gunsmith section but didn't get any responses. So I thought I'd ask here.
    I have an import M87 copy of the Winchester 1887. It has a 20" smooth bore barrel. I've been thinking about turning it into a slug gun.
    One option would be to have it reamed and threads cut for a screw in rifled choke tube.
    Another option would be to replace the barrel with a fully rifled one. I have a Savage take off 24" rifled barrel and an ER Shaw 24" rifled blank.
    I no longer have my lathe, so I'll have to send it out to have the work done.
    If I went with the choke tube, I could always put in a regular one and hunt birds with it also...
    From everything I've read on here, it would probably give much better accuracy with a fully rifled barrel.
    Any thoughts on this?
    Just leave it alone and buy a Savage bolt action slug gun? LoL
    I have not seen nor heard of a Rifled barrel for a M87? Is there such a thing?

I have never been a big fan of those guns, they are kind of Clunky and slow to operate for my tastes.

I vote for "Leave it Alone, and buy a Savage 212!!!"

It will be a better slug gun than ANYTHING you could possibly do to that M87 !!!

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com