Load DataSnyders JerkyRepackboxInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Wideners RotoMetals2

Thread: #457122 & #457191

#457122 & #457191

Anyone tried either of these light weights?
    What rifle? How did it work out?

Boolit Master

The 457122 is what I shoot in my Marlin 1895cb. I shoot it about 1400fps shoots great. I size it .459. Not a muzzle loader obviously!

Boolit Master
    I use to use the 457122 till I found Arsenals 460330 which is the same bullet without the hollow point with very good results in my Shiloh's and several other rifles. But they are cartridge guns in .45-70 I use for target and shilouette shooting. Both of those bullets would be a bit oversized for a .45 caliber muzzleloader.

Boolit Grand Master

Try them in a sabot in your .50 caliber muzzle loader and let us know how it works. My best friend shoots the 457122 out of his Lyman and is his favorite.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

I shoot a .458 bore diameter (.470 groove diameter) with 24" twist, a Thompson Center New Englander reworked to use off the shelf 45-70 molds with boolits lubed or paper patched. Those two molds (the 457122HP and the 457191) are in the fun box but haven't been tried out yet. Thought I'd see if anyone has been using them in muzzleloaders.

Hey, by the way, something that might interest someone...

I adopted .457 diameter because of the large number of commonly available designs for .45 rifle (nominally .46 caliber) and .45 pistol / revolver molds. Well, not to mention that with a 24" twist I could still shoot revolver round ball.
    But there's some other things I'd like to try, too. Like a barrel for .445/.446 boolits. And a barrel for .468 boolits.
    So sitting down and trying to figger out what would work and how... how to go about that?

So I decided to look at molds I have and how might they behave when the powder charge lit off. Best thing I came up with was grains of weight per square inches of boolit base. Started off with things I know about.
    Don't have one but Whitworths are known to work pretty good. For a Whitworth with a 500 grain boolit that's about 0.16 square inches of area for the boolit base to give a whopping 3125 grains per square inch.

The .40 bore fast twist Sheba rifle and one of the heavier molds figured up to a relatively calm 2600 or so grains per square inch.
    The .52 bore Navarone paper patch rifle with the 38" long barrel came up around 2590.
    Those aren't too scary.

So the molds I wanted to scratch my head over...
    What about a 485 grain .446 diameter? That's around 3100 and closing in on Whitworth territory.
    A 575 grain .468 diameter boolit? That's around 3300!
    Hmm, if I do a muzzleloader with either one of those the blocks will be shortened and sprue plate refitted.