RepackboxTitan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Reloading Everything Load Data

Thread: Cartridge collectors!.............lil' help please!

Boolit Master

Cartridge collectors!.............lil' help please!

looking for collecting manuals on different cartridges.

i have.....

13th ed. CARTRIDGES OF THE WORLD
    6th ed. AMMO ENCYCLOPEDIA

are there any others?

it is to note that COTW lists only one maynard type of 1865 in one caliber (there seems to be several)
    and AMMO ENC. lists none for 1865
    no billinhursts
    no chassepots
    no crispins

there seems to be quite a few omissions due to rarity or obscurity as well as many mistakes in each due to not being caught by a proofreader.

so ...are there any more books that list even more than these 2?

any help is greatly appreciated...thanks.

mike

I have several editions of Cartridges Of The World and have found they miss some cartridges from previous editions. As far as I know, COTW is the most complete book on fixed ammunition available, you may have to buy several editions though. The key word here may be, ''fixed'' ammunition. They do not include cartridges, paper or otherwise that are primed seperately like, Smith carbine, Maynard carbine, Sharps, Star, Burnside, .69/.58 paper cartridges etc.

I do recall looking for information on some early Maynard center fire ammunition and found little on them. The nice thing about Maynards was you could buy barrels of about any caliber and swap them on your receiver. Dreyse ammunition won't be found in COTW either, even though it's a fixed type ammunition it's not metallic, the Chassepot falls into that class also, being needle fire. You'll find the Gras, but not the Chassepot.

I have other books on ammunition, what are you looking for, dimensions and charges?

Boolit Master
    variety and dimensions for identification....(including alternate types of ignition, needle , cap, etc.
    also alternate names for each as this is very confusing being that one cartridge may have 11 different names and i hate buying duplicates! AAAARRRRG!
    making a bullet board.

Boolit Master
    As a life long cartridge Collectors , I found Cartridges Of the World Is Ok. But to Collectors It is " The Bible of being Wrong"
    Books That are a Must is Fred A. Datig books 4 Vol sets. George Hoyem " History and Development of Small Arms Ammunition". There are several Other. Depending on what Your interest is
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost