RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingRepackboxLoad DataWideners
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wadcutters

Banned

wadcutters

just honestly, what kind of penetration does one expect with a 38 special loaded with 2-230 grain wadcutters.

Boolit Grand Master

That a typo on the weights? 460 grains won’t leave a .38 Special very fast at all.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Grand Master
    A 460gr throw weight would be tough on the gun & shooter, but probably not too tough on a target. I just can't see where they would be going very fast.

Boolit Buddy
    None for me I wouldn’t load 460 grains with powder behind it. It would make a good conversational piece to hand to someone then watch the expressions they get once the weight sinks in.

Now if your talking one 200-230 grain boolit that would garner nice penetration at +p or +p+ loads out of a firearm that accepts those loads.

Banned
    200 to 230 grain, somewhat obvious.

saw the data, havent actually seen the slugs. But the idea is like,,,, oooo fun

Quote Originally Posted by BunkTheory View Post
    200 to 230 grain, somewhat obvious.

saw the data, havent actually seen the slugs. But the idea is like,,,, oooo fun
    What would the motive or reason be?

200 to 233 Grain is too heavy for .38 Special.

If having safe pressures for the Revolver, the Bullet would indeed have to be quite slow...and, the Propellant chosen carefully for the longer working time of what-ever pressure realized.

Boolit Grand Master
    The problem is in fixed sighted revolvers which encompass most 38s the bullets hit way high.

Given the good performance of “full charge” 148 grain wadcutters which hit much closer to the sights I see little reason for a 230 odd grain wadcutter. Velocities would be low which is something of a downside for penetration in some materials like seasoned wood and metal.

Lyman's old handbooks showed over 800FPS for their 195 grain round nose.
    Once you get a bullet that heavy moving out of a .38 it tends to continue.

Start calling the wadcutter a wide flat nose and all the sudden people will think it's a great idea.
    For me though, bore riding gas checked wadcutter hollow points are the cat's meow.

Put the lead between the front of the case and the front of the cylinder, where it belongs.

Boolit Master
    If the idea is just to have fun, then get to the fun, don’t ask for opinions from folks that have never tried it! I wouldn’t limit myself to a pair of wadcutters, maybe try a 110gr wadcutter under a 95gr HP, or maybe a round ball on top.

Take video!

Northern Virginia, where the freeway does roam.
    They may shoot high, like 6 inches higher at 10 yards as compared to a load that the sights are regulated for.

The ability of the bullets to penetrate will be predicated on velocity and boolit metal composition.

Boolit Grand Master
    I was going to respond...and decided it best not to.

Have fun with your journey!!
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    If the idea is just to have fun, then get to the fun, don’t ask for opinions from folks that have never tried it! I wouldn’t limit myself to a pair of wadcutters, maybe try a 110gr wadcutter under a 95gr HP, or maybe a round ball on top.

Take video!
    Probably not what the OP had in mind. But here's a video of a two-projectile load from a .38 snubby. About 200 grains at about 625 f/s into Clear Ballistic gel. The gel blocks are each 11" long.

https://snubbyfest.000webhostapp.com...rojectiles.mp4
    "Totalitarianism demands, in fact, the continuous alteration of the past, and in the long run probably demands a disbelief in the very existence of objective truth.” --George Orwell

Boolit Grand Master
    Char-Gar has some experience with a very heavy for caliber wadcutter. IIRC, it looks like an over grown version of the 358-344 and fills the throat almost to the end of the cylinder. Perhaps he'll join the topic and give further details.

The heaviest wadcutter I have used is the 160-ish grain 358-432, which has proven to be all that I require in a 38. In fact, you could make a pretty good case for it being the best all-around boolit for 50 yards and in for use in a 38 Special.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

210-230 grain full wadcutters in 38/357 were developed for bowling pin matches. There are several sources for them. They will drive a pin straight back off the table with a fair hit. There is some pressure data out there for AA9 powder. Such loads will be +P stuff.

Hit a human being with one of them and it will go straight in and out the other side, breaking anything in it's way. Even at combat ranges they will hit 8" above point of aim in a fix sighted 38 Special.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 003.jpg  
    Last edited by Char-Gar; 12-05-2021 at 12:36 PM.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pettypace View Post
    Probably not what the OP had in mind. But here's a video of a two-projectile load from a .38 snubby. About 200 grains at about 625 f/s into Clear Ballistic gel. The gel blocks are each 11" long.

https://snubbyfest.000webhostapp.com...rojectiles.mp4
    Oh, he meant a single 200-230gr wadcutter. It is a beast of a round, I’ve loaded it for a suppressed Handi-rifle. The throat on these is about a foot long. Not sure if they’d fit in a model 10 cylinder, never thought to try. Need to get more of these, burned my last ones on soda cans filled with gravel, it was indeed fun.

Quote Originally Posted by rintinglen View Post
    The heaviest wadcutter I have used is the 160-ish grain 358-432, which has proven to be all that I require in a 38. In fact, you could make a pretty good case for it being the best all-around boolit for 50 yards and in for use in a 38 Special.
    I have to agree with this statement.

I have numerous molds of all types and shapes for 38/357 use. The 358432 is consistently one of the very best performers.
    If I was restricted to a single boolit mold, I would have to choose between the 358432, the 358429, and a 158 grain RNFP.
    Difficult decision to make.
    Fortunately, since I have all the molds, I don't have to pick just one.

Banned
    the lee handbook shows 7 to 800 fps with them, and the idea is really tasty. genuinely is creating the "internet minimum standard" for handgun hunting...

Punches will inside the 40 sw

Boolit Buddy
    just honestly, what kind of penetration does one expect with a 38 special loaded with 2-230 grain wadcutters.
    According to MacPherson (Bullet Penetration, Figure 10-2), predicted penetration of a 230 grain 35 caliber WC at 800 f/s is about 33 inches in 10% ordnance gelatin.

the lee handbook shows 7 to 800 fps with them, and the idea is really tasty. genuinely is creating the "internet minimum standard" for handgun hunting...
    Wound mass for that load, calculated for the full penetration path, would be about 54 grams. Against a charging grizzly bear, that's probably as good as it gets from a .38 Special.

Against a deer-sized critter, most of that 54 grams would likely be wasted by "over-penetration." In that case, you might be better off with standard weight wadcutters which would deliver just as much wound mass to the target (maybe about 25 grams) with lighter recoil allowing a better chance of fast, well-aimed follow up shots.
    "Totalitarianism demands, in fact, the continuous alteration of the past, and in the long run probably demands a disbelief in the very existence of objective truth.” --George Orwell

Moderator Emeritus

http://www.lasc.us/FryxellLyman358627.htm
    Not a wadcutter but a 220 gr SWC article in 38 and other cartridges.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Good Cheer View Post
    For me though, bore riding gas checked wadcutter hollow points are the cat's meow.
    What mold are you dropping this from?

Pictures????

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast