Inline FabricationWidenersTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Load DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Repackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Tape query?

Moderator Emeritus

Tape query?

Yesterday the USPS dropped off some tins of .177 pellets I had ordered from a popular on-line auction site. They were advertised as "NOS" for four tins, with the fifth as "about half filled". I opened to inspect the open tin, to note the pellets seemed darker than (imho) they should be, and a teeny bit (technical term ) of what looked like minuscule corrosion and or oxidation seemed to coat them.
    I peeled the yellow tape which was on the seam of another tin -- and the pellets were both lighter in colour as well as free of corrosion/oxidation. They looked as if they were made "yesterday"!
    Hence -- my question:
    I was thinking, maybe, the purpose of the tape (in addition to not having tin open and pellets spilling all over the place) is -- assuming, say, they are packed in, maybe, a pure Nitrogen atmosphere -- is what preserves them?
    Curious George... Is there an answer -- e.g., does the tape also keep oxygen/air from the pellets?
    If so...this brings up (to me) of a new means of long-term storage of my cast bullets -- perhaps using Zip-Lock freezer bags with air vacuumed out with a Food-Saver appliance, and replaced with Nitrogen? (I have a tank in my shop...)
    Any ideas/comments?
    geo

Boolit Grand Master
    I would not worry about using nitrogen. Air is 79%N2 anyway

Once the bags are sealed, no more oxygen can get to whatever is inside. The tiny bit of O2 left after sealing is going to get used up and and be spent before you notice any oxidation.
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy
    Greetings George,

Interesting observation.

I have some RWS MeisterKugeln I bought at least 40 years ago.

I opened one tin, that had the tape wrapped around the joint, and the pellets are nice and clean.

Then, a box of Daisy pellets was found in a box of stuff and they were rather crusty looking as they had no tape.

In summary, I suspect the tape is by design. For both storage and keeping the lids from popping off.

Cheers,

Dave

I'd expect the exact alloy and lubricant used would have at least some effect also

Moderator Emeritus

I don't think the tape is a oxygen/nitrogen proof barrier, also there is no gasket on the Tin, if Pellet companies wanted an effective seal, the tin would have a gasket.

My opinion is, that the half full pellet tin, has had human fingers rummaging through the pellets when the original owner/shooter was loading his rifle (that's how I roll anyway). So not only have those "opened" pellets had more O² exposed to them (just from being opened and closed several times), they likely got some sweat and finger grease on 'em too.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001