RepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Rifled choke: Hi-Tek Aqualube as anti-seize. Very good.

Boolit Master

Rifled choke: Hi-Tek Aqualube as anti-seize. Very good.

As we know, rifled chokes can torque themselves silly hard tight. Gunsmith-tight.

I got bored with opening the 20 gauge 870 choke all the time, cleaning, opening again... I tried some "antiseize", it got tight quick... I then remembered my Agua-Lube bullet sizing dry lube by Hi Tek, the coating maker.

That was last winter, some 500 different slugs ago. Many were full bore. I remember I sprayed the choke threads twice, letting dry after the first coat. Then screw on and shoot for a year.

And now I just opened it with the standard key. Glove hand tight.

You dilute this in lamp oil (kerosene) , I use 1 ml / 1 liter. Spray on. Do not spray on floor...

So a Flat Choke Tube Key is too hard to use? I can see how a crank type one like my Carlson's one that is just a friction fit in the tube (no drive keys) wouldn't get enough grip to turn the tube but stamped Flat Key seems like would have enough leverage to break one loose.

I use Vaseline on my choke tubes. But I haven't shot enough slugs thru My Rifled Choke Tube to know what is going to happen.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    I have lost that flat key somewhere, much prefer this one.

Except today at the range... I went to test some 12 gauge RB:s with a cylinder Benelli. I also took this 20 gauge 870 to see 100 meter hits on the berm. First my chrono battery froze before I had fired a shot. My first single M3 shot felt normal. I then checked feeding,too long OAL so my first attempt from tube jammed the M3 carrier. -20 ° C so I didn't feel like gunsmithing.

I then switched to 870... But my choke and key were still on my kitchen table. Oh well.

Those are wood grouses:

And a One Shot Range Trip is better than no range trip at all.
    Last edited by Petander; 12-06-2021 at 04:46 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning at least here in Peru.
    I have done similar "lunkhead" things as forget ammo, target stand, earplugs .... Beautiful photos ! One shot... anytime !
    Those grouse sitting atop the pines in the sun remind me of growing up in Michigan, U.S. of A.
    -20 C would cause this part of our world to ease quickly ! Gets below 10 C and people are expecting to die yesterday.
    Agua-Lube.. Just may give that a try.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

I once drove 6 hours to Front Sight only to figure out when I got out of the truck that I had not loaded my guns! Then I drove 6 hours back home and made it back by 12AM! Long day and $150 worth of fuel for nothing!

But I do enjoy driving, so not a complete loss. Thank God for Cruise Control!

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"

Who hasn't done bone headed stunts? Like leave a required gear belt home and realize it 30 minutes down the road. Nothing spurts of 100mph couldn't fix to get to the match on time. But on a Sunday morning, and it being Maine, that was safely possible but still very illegal.

Interesting thread!
    Let's go Brandon!

Three weeks ago I met with a friend for an evening duck hunt. Opened the gun scabbard, only to find my 6mm PPC Sako rifle instead of a Beretta 682.
    I borrowed my friend's car, drove a couple of miles to his home and met with his wife who handed me another 682. Back again, just in time fore the arrival of the first ducks.

This is what friends are for!
    Cap'n Morgan

This morning I changed my pants because I got the other ones dirty working on my Jeep yesterday.

I then drove to Thousand Oaks to the Chrysler Dealership to get a new Key Fob made for the Wife's Car for $300.

Reached around back and discovered that I didn't have my wallet.

It is now confirmed that I am an Idiot! No money, no cards, nothing, Squat!

I wanted to go across the street to McDonalds to get lunch to kill time but didn't have $.

Then something happened,,, The Service Writer came up to me and handed me $8, said go have lunch we'll have the car done when you get back. My jaw hit the pavement!

This blew me away! As this type of Service/ Personal Kindness is so uncommon these days, adn especially in Thousand Oaks CA, home of Snotty People..

I had never seen this guy before in my life and he had only been working at this dealer for 2 weeks.

Turns out this guy is a hunter and I am gifting him 5 of my Brass Tipped Shotgun Slugs + $10 for his kindness. I will deliver these in my Jeep tomorrow as I showed him the pics of that too!

Oh Yee of little faith,,, there are still good people out there! John Ives of Shaver Chrysler Jeep has made the cut!

Thanks

Randy

Boolit Buddy
    Good on you! And on him! We need more folks looking out for everyone.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post

Reached around back and discovered that I didn't have my wallet.

It is now confirmed that I am an Idiot! No money, no cards, nothing, Squat!
    No Randy, it's just confirmation that you now have CRS, just like the rest of us! That's OK, we still love you!
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

CTR: Believe me, I have known that I'm an Idiot for a "long time!" Yesterday was just another confirmation notification!

Had CRS for a while now, and I can mostly deal with that,,, but the Idiot part has been a life long quest for a break in the action.

It just goes on and on,,, day in and day out!

Randy

Boolit Master

CTR: Believe me, I have known that I'm an Idiot for a "long time!" Yesterday was just another confirmation notification!

Had CRS for a while now, and I can mostly deal with that,,, but the Idiot part has been a life long quest for a break in the action.

Randy
    LOL!! Hey, if it was easy, anybody could do it! Hang in there, brother!
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Master

Randy
    ???

Boolit Master
    I thought CRS was "can't remember....stuff"
    Take a kid to the range, you'll both be glad you did.

Quote Originally Posted by remy3424 View Post
    I thought CRS was "can't remember....stuff"
    Yes, that was the intended definition of the acronym. But maybe that's where the Acronym came from.

I am especially cautious of "Other Permanent Manifestations?"

Randy

As you get older you'll just laugh it off. What else can we do? For items that don't get used often that's what pencil and paper is all about, but standard items used over and over? Yeah, just laugh and suck it up. But the $8? That was a kindness that didn't need to happen. Make it right and don't let it die there, pass it on to someone else. Don't tell anyone about it and I believe if comes back to you again and again.
    Let's go Brandon!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BJK View Post
    But the $8? That was a kindness that didn't need to happen. Make it right and don't let it die there, pass it on to someone else. Don't tell anyone about it and I believe if comes back to you again and again.
    $8 is the High Point of this thread twist.

I had no idea what I started with a simple anti-seize post. Now this thread has a meaning: let's be nice.

Boolit Master

Petander this thread cost me $8. Just had to buy some Hi-Tek Aqualube.

Boolit Master

Yes, that was the intended definition of the acronym. But maybe that's where the Acronym came from.

I am especially cautious of "Other Permanent Manifestations?"

Randy
    I think those are what we call "children".

unknown

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DDriller View Post
    Petander this thread cost me $8. Just had to buy some Hi-Tek Aqualube.
    Sorry to see a thread drifting back to the original topic.

This is a great bullet sizing lube because you don't need to remove it, no matter what you do. Sized bullets can be PC:d or Hi Teked without interference.

I just made some 476:s, checked and sized before PC.