Reloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2Lee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LED Light bulbs

Boolit Buddy

LED Light bulbs

Suffice to say these bulbs don't last anywhere near their 7 year supposed life nor do the earlier CFL's. I made a habit of marking the install date on these 'new' energy saving bulbs when I started to replace incandescents with them some years back. Although the LED's carry a 'supposed' warranty, who's going to save a receipt for a pack of light bulbs and then spend more than the lightbulb cost to get a warranty replacement? I wouldn't be surprised if energy savings did not add up to the extra cost of LED's over incandescent bulbs...

Boolit Buddy
    I also started replacing my bulbs in the house a few years ago. Stared with fluorescent bulbs. Those did not last very long. Changed over to LEDs. So far I have some that are over 5 years old. And still work very well. And yes I write the date on every one of them.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I’m guessing cost vs savings is relative to which bulbs you buy. I’ve been buying the Kirkland brand bulbs when they are on super sale and at $5 for 6 LEDs my cost savings is pretty apparent. Buying the Philips (or other big brand) name bulbs at $12 per bulb like they used to be I can’t imagine the savings being there though I haven’t run any energy usage tests in these.

Personally I just like the quality of light and the color spectrum better with LEDs. I even upgraded my 4’ shop tubes from t8s to 6000k LEDs from Green Tek and they have been awesome, haven’t replaced a one in 7 years. Again savings will depend on the brand bought though, when I bought my 4’ bulbs for $7-$12 a piece my company was installing Philips brand 4’ bulbs in their stores and they were running $70 a bulb at the time (). I think I got better value out of mine vs theirs. (Note: large company wouldn’t even entertain my recommendation for the American company I was trying to show them was just as good and cheaper than the national brand).

Boolit Master
    With LED's, they say 7 years, but that is for 3 HOURS a day for seven years, ON AVERAGE(7665 hours), THE FINE PRINT. That is SOME bulbs might go 2 years and some might go 12 years. I too have marked the install date and not gotten '7 years' from some but most are still running for a couple of years. I have NOT kept track of the actual hours used, my shop lights are on 8-12 hours a day, year round. I do like getting more light in the work shop for less wiring and less heat (in the summer). I can replace 10 100 watt bulbs with 10 '300 watt equivalent bulbs (30 watt LED) and get much more light out of the same circuit. Are they cheaper ??? Maybe. Better - probably. I like the the extra light.

Boolit Master
    I haven't had many (any?) LED bulbs die on me, and I started switching to them as soon as they had decent CRI at 4000K, or 3000K for the kitchen. Had some track lighting which pulled over a kilowatt with the old incan bulbs and made the room hotter to boot. Haven't had a single one fail, they pull way less power, and the color temperature doesn't make the room look covered in orange juice when dimmed like the old bulbs did.

My experience with CFLs and flashlights was that you get what you pay for, so I haven't tried buying the rock bottom cheapest LEDs either. Honestly, though, most of our CFLs are still going strong, so I don't expect to have to replace them for a while.
    I'm a big fan of data-driven decisions. You want to make me smile, show me a spreadsheet! Extra points for graphs and best-fit predictive equations.

I have yet to replace a LED bulb. I am slowly but surely getting rid of CFL's and replacing with LED's.

I am like StuBach I like the Kirkland brand bulbs and some others like them. I did pay more for a 150 watt equivilent very white 6 pack. One is in the light by my recliner that is on from 7:30 am until 10:30 PM except for an hour here and there for naps.
    It has been there for over 5 years and still going strong.

But the ones I really love are the Harbor Freight single line LED 4 foot strip lights that I bought for under 10$ each. Each of those replaces 2-4 Flourescent fixtures, puts out more light, with less glare and way less energy use. And they come wired to plug into an outlet with a pull chain for on off.

I originally bought 6, went back after I plugged the first one in and turned it on. Went back and bought 4 more.

I pulled the guts out of my fancy 4 flourescent light fixture in the kitchen. Replaced with a single strip light. Have more light, better quality light. And that was 2 years ago. As far as I'm concerned that light has paid for itself already.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Vendor Sponsor

The only LEDs I have had problems with are in a 4 bulb chandelier over the dining table, these stay on more than any other light in the house and I have replaced them twice in 3 years and one of the 4 is on the fritz as I type. They have a small base and sit upright in the sockets.

The rest of the house is great with LEDs, and I need to convert the fluorescents in my shop to LEDs. I prefer the Reveal bulbs for the bedroom, they do nice things for skin tones *wink* these are well worth the $12 going rate.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    We replaced the bulbs in both our places with LEDs. Keep in mind that we are in one place or 6 months for the summer and the other for 6 months during the winter. IIRC - we did the MI house 6 yers ago and the AZ house 5 years ago. So far, none have been needing to be replaced. Anything is going to have a "life" and I think that a person has to remember just how long some bulbs are on each day. Example - a LED bulb used in an office the is on for say 8 to 10 hours a day is a lot different than an LED bulb in a hallway or closet that is on maybe 20 minutes a day at the most.

Here in AZ,, we are required to have one outside light fixture that is on the end of the garage (each house has two - a fixture on each side of the garage door) on during the night to help provide light for security as well as anyone walking down the sidewalk (easier to see Javelenas, Coyotes and Bobcats). The fixtures take two low wattage (40 watt) "chandelier" small base bulbs. The fixture is on an electric eye and right now, during this time of the year it would go on around 5 p.m. and be on until perhaps 7:15 s.m. - so figure 14 hours a day. In the summertime, less than that but probably 8 hours at least. I used to have to replace the bulbs due to burnout about every 60 days. Two and a half years ago, a friend was back here in AZ for a few days and he noticed our bulbs were burned out so he had some LED bulbs and he replaced the burned out bulbs with the LEDs. They are still going strong after two years. So I have no complaints on them at all and have been very happy with how they have worked.

Moderator Emeritus

When LED bulbs first hit the market, I ordered 3 from a china ebay seller. Big mistake, the ran hot and give off RF that interfered with the AM radio, I found out they weren't FCC compliant. I used them for a couple years, then gave them away.

Over time, as prices of FCC compliant LED bulbs became affordable, I started buying them and currently most of my large house has them. Sylvania brand is my preference, for both Price and cold weather functioning in Minnesota. Most of those have been in service for about 5 years. I mention all this, as I had my first Sylvania LED burn out, it is in a enclosed glass globe swag fixture and is on many hours a day.

I bought a bunch of the Corkscrew CFL bulbs years prior when they were all the rage. I will mention, in a few places in the house, I do prefer the Corkscrew CFL bulbs, Over all the years, I've only had two of them burn out.

Coincidence:
    Today, I am upgrading the lighting in a room I dedicated to my wood Lathe. It has a high ceiling. So I am replacing the vintage single "dangling wire" fixture (currently Corkscrew CFL bulb installed), with a triple bulb fixture (chandelier type), I plan to use some LED flood lights I bought on sale a couple years ago, and found they were too large to fit most fixtures...so I hope they work well in this chandelier, as they should give great light for the Lathe.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

..."Bulbs grow in the ground, lamps go into fixtures and give light" ...

I have them in our kitchen recessed light fixtures...give good light but haven't payed any attention to how long they last.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Keep in mind it is the HEAT that kills CFL's and LED's! Any recessed "can" light fixture is a death trap for those bulbs. LED's in open-frame lamp environments, they will last a good long time. I see 3-4 years lifetime - with 12-16 hour operation per day in the open. About 1.5-2 years in recessed and can fixtures that trap the heat. And the DO get VERY hot!!!!

I use a magic marker and write the install date on the base of every bulb when i install it and definitely see a trend in enclosed fixtures!!!!

I now have 95% LEDs in our 2 story house, including LED floods front and back and 10 "40 watt" style shop lights. We here in this part of AZ have no laws requiring outside lighting like mentioned above. I do it for safety and security.

The prices are coming down and the technology is going up for LED lighting.
    Last edited by bangerjim; 12-04-2021 at 04:03 PM.

I’m a fan. No idea how long they last, but our utility bill has gone down significantly. May be due to other factors as well, but I like ‘em. Less battery drain in the RV, too.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Banned
    I got 12 8 foot fluorescent in the garage and they are up 20 ft in the air been thinking about the 8 ft leds but at over 70 I do not bounce like I used to and not wanting to replace em every 2-3 years.

Boolit Master

We have 24 recessed ceiling lights using 60 watt incandescent reflector flood bulbs. Most are on dimmer circuits. We’ve been in this home for nearly 12 years and half the bulbs haven’t been changed. Finding incandescent RF bulbs is getting tough. When you do find them they’re near as expensive as comparable LEDs. One bulb in kitchen ceiling has been changed to LED. I’m not crazy about the color of light in comparison but don’t see many options and will install LEDs as the incandescents burn out. I’m not at all impressed with the lifespan of the LED bulbs in our bathroom fixtures. One year on average, the corkscrew CF bulbs were way better.
    I’ve been told that fluorescent bulbs last longer under continuous, as opposed to intermittent use. Makes sense in a way.
    Don’t know about other areas but until the mid 70s the Edison service center would exchange new light bulbs for your old burned out ones. That was a sweet deal.

Super Moderator

I just had two of my original enclosed LED bulbs I bought go out. They were maybe only 3 years old max. My initial thought was that they didn't last nearly as long as the CFL bulbs I replaced them with. Now I'll bet a bunch more are going to go out. That's OK though, it's only money right? They are more energy efficient for sure.

Boolit Master
    The only place I've had shortened life for LED bulbs is in the ceiling fan fixtures. I have a red LED in my carport that's been on 24/7 for over 5 years now, that's over 43,000 hours! Watch it be out when I get home! In general they last much much longer than than than incandescent bulbs for me, and you can get them in any light range/ color temp.

ADMIN

When I moved into my current house in 2015 I replaced my garage overhead florescent tubes with ballet-less LED tubes.

They were ones the company I was working for sold on the side to school districts. Wasn’t our primary business.

They are rated 100k hours or ten years.
    I laughed when I was told their rating.
    The salesman asked why.
    Simple. If I left them on for 100k hours it would be almost 11 1/2 years so basically they have a ten year warranty.

Haven’t had any issues. Not sure how many hours are on them but we have left them on a couple days before.
    Only thing I don’t like about them is the delay on starting. It takes a second before they fire up but the fluorescent bulbs did that in the cold weather too.

90% of the fixtures in my house have LED bulbs.
    The 60 watt replacements are just under $3 each which is about the cost of decent filament bulbs.
    I get the daylight color bulbs as they look brighter even though the lumens rating is the same as cool white.

The ones I been using are rated 25000 hrs which is a little bit short of 3 years 24/7. I have had to replace some already and they were just about a year old.

The price will continue to go down on the LED bulbs as time goes on and I suspect that eventually the incandescent bulbs will no longer be available except for the specialty bulbs
    Don't like being hammered by the Cast Boolits Staff, then don't be a nail.
    The rules are simple to follow.

Moderator Emeritus

I have a Sylvania LED bulb in the bathroom that is going n 10 years old. And that room is dark and the light is on 24/7 so I don't kill myself trying to get to the light switch on the opposite side of the room(I did not wire this room!). It is getting a little dimmer but no biggie... I have mirror lights I turn on when I need more light. This one is just so I can see stuff on the floor, like cat toys... Ollie drags all his toys in there at night. He picks them all up and drags them in there... funny watching him hunt for a missing ball and then asking me to get it out from under the stereo/video rack where he doesn't fit(and isn't allowed due to all the wires back there!)

Moderator Emeritus

Led fixtures are rated much longer lasting than bulbs. Ours are 3 1/2 years old and show no signs of dimming.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

In our last house we had 8 or 10 recessed can lights in the kitchen ceiling. The lamps were incandescent when we moved in. They stayed on most of the time. When the weather turned cool I realized how warm they were keeping the floor. I replaced them with 3200 degree K LEDs and the temperature difference was immediately noticeable. They had to be replaced at probably 2-2.5 year intervals but they were on 16 hours a day.

Our current house has can lights in several rooms, all with LEDs at this point. The only ones that get replaced regularly are the big box store brand in the kitchen which again stay on most of the day. The ones that are only used in the evening are about 3 years old with none having been replaced.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast