Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingWideners
Lee Precision Repackbox

Thread: PC on .357SIG - Neck Tension

Boolit Master

PC on .357SIG - Neck Tension

I’ve been looking into PC to help with loading cast for the the .357SIG. This round has an embarrassingly short neck, which causes issues with neck tension… and it also puts the lube groove of typical cast boolits into the powder. I’ve been thinking that a straight sided PC boolit would resolve both issues, but I’ve also read about PC being very slippery.
    So does PC cause any neck tension issues? Is there any PC that is not so slippery?

Northern Virginia, where the freeway does roam.
    Wet tumbled brass is grippy

I've been loading the Sig since dies first came available. At first the only option was using .40 brass reformed and that made the neck tension issue even worse.

I found that heavier shorter nose bullets are a more important feature to prevent setback. Select a shorter nose bullet and you should have plenty of meat on the sides of the bullet to get a decent taper crimp and the neck tension issue goes away. I've been PC'ing a bit over a year and do not find the bullets "slippery" in the neck if the case neck sizing and expander plug are working right. I do not use motor mica inside the case neck like I would in some rifle cases and I'm using RCBS dies FWIW.

If you want them, I'll send you a few of my heavier shorter nosed, bullets you can PC to check out.
    Last edited by gnappi; 12-05-2021 at 01:56 PM.
    Regards,

Gary