RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
WidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Repackbox

Thread: .25-35 Win Case Holder

Boolit Master

.25-35 Win Case Holder

I need to make a holder so I can do a little work on about 17 .25-35 cases. I figure aluminum would be fine. My first thought was to get a 25-35 chamber reamer, but even rental ones are out of my current budget.

I then thought that a taper reamer would work, but the case taper doesn't match any standard size listed on McMaster-Carr.

My final thought is to measure part way down the case and drill that size hole through 1" aluminum and drill out the other end to equal the base diameter. Finally, cutting a slit up one side would provide a bit of wiggle room and a slight clamping force when the holder is in the vise.

Does this seem to be the way to go, or is there a better way that I've missed?

Thank you,
    Richard
    Isn't a 9mm just a .45 set on stun? -- Amy W.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred."
    -- Niccolo Machiavelli

USPSA A32025
    NRA Life

Boolit Master
    What are you trying to do to them?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I made holders for cases out of some tubing that the case fit in loosely.
    I would put release agent , ( Johnson's past wax or just wax ) on the case.
    Then I used bedding compound or hard epoxy to fill up the tube and mold to the case.
    The case is then removable from the holder.
    I made these for things like holding cases in a drill press to convert berdan cases to Boxer primers.
    You can also just drill a hole in a block of wood then bed the case in that.
    If you are going to clamp the cases in a vise for any reason.
    The flat sides of the wood blocks works better than the round tubes
    Last edited by LAGS; 12-04-2021 at 12:42 AM.

Boolit Grand Master
    What about using an old style Lee case holder and lock stud for their case trimmer? They might not be listed for the .25-35; but the one for a .30-30 should work, as long as you aren't working on the base.

Robert

Boolit Master
    If you’re doing something like thinning rims or case heads, a full-length sizing die (innards removed) can be indicated in with a 4-jaw chuck on a lathe, and the case tapped in with a wood mallet just enough to grip it against the friction of light cuts, drilling or filing. A .30-30 die might work, if you’re careful, and the tailstock center could be used to center the primer pocket, straightening out the shell.

After you are done, a rod through the headstock and into the die and a tap or two with the mallet will pop the shell out, with the holder ready for the next one.

Boolit Grand Master

An L.E. Wilson Case Holder .25-35 Winchester for use w Trimmer sold on eBay for $3.77 on Sept 18, 2021. You might get lucky and find another or Wilson might make you one.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer