Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load DataWideners
Repackbox Snyders Jerky

Thread: Who makes a one step check maker die?

Boolit Bub

Who makes a one step check maker die?

Is there such a thing a as one step Check maker?

Boolit Buddy
    Yes there is. There are several designs you can find on the net. Not sure about availability though, tried searchng "gas check maker"?
    I'm lucky enough to have the machines to make my own.

Boolit Master
    There is a member here that has plans for both a one step checkmaker and a two step checkmaker. Unfortunately, I cannot remember his screen name.

Boolit Master

If you have the ability to make one yourself; or someone to do it for you; this site has a Sticky on home made Gas Check Makers.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...gas-checkmaker
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Grand Master

There is the IDZ as linked above and the Ed Smith check makers both one and two step.

I decided I didn't want to use my press to make checks so went with the Ed Smith version and use a mallet. He also has a design for an adapter if you do want to use a press.

Here is the Ed Smith design:

http://sebagosales.com/gaschex/Check-Maker1&2.pdf

Seems to me there was another design very similar to the IDZ as well but I don't have a link... wait! I found the old thread by Bstone5 but it appears the pics and drawings are gone now.

Gamsek was selling one the same or similar to the IDZ design but apparently he is "retired" now. I don't know what it would cost to get a machinist to make one. They aren't hard to make at all but you pay for set up time and getting material, etc. for just one. Maybe if you need several calibers or have friends that want one too you could do a "group buy" at a machine shop or even here if you can find a machinist willing to make several.

Here is a simple one by Ed Smith for guys with only hand tools:

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...ck-maker/page2

Scroll down to post #35.

Here is one I made based on the FreeChec by Ed Wosika and Paco Kelly:

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...as+check+maker

The drawings are in the Ed Smith link above, post #44.

Here is a link to the Freechec tool... no longer available. But it would be easy to get one made and by changing punch and die sizes to suit regular gas check shanks you can make checks out of thicker material for regular GC boolits, that's what I did. A bit tedious to use but works well and makes good checks.

Not sure anyone is making check makers for sale these days.

Longbow

Boolit Master

Just saw this. Sharp Shooter (22 Rim fire reloading site) is manufacturing one stroke Gas Check making dies for 9mm, 38/357, 40 S&W, 45 ACP, and 44 Mag. They say they will be making other calibers in the near future. Might be worth a try contacting them for your needs.

https://22lrreloader.com/products/on...pr_seq=uniform
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Buddy
    I used the plans posted by IDZ. They made great gas checks. I had a whole set made (.30, .35, .40, .44 & .45) made at work. I like the One Step system. The only "modification" was to make the die slightly longer so the completed checks were collected in a bottle on the top of the die.

Boolit Buddy
    I have the 22reloader in 44. Works fine.