WidenersLoad DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Repackbox
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do You Hunt Outside or Inside?

Boolit Master

Do You Hunt Outside or Inside?

I see a trend that less hunters actually hunt "outside". More and more are hunting in a shack, fully enclosed tree stand or blind or sit in a vehicle. When I am a guest on somebody else's hunt, I do whatever is polite, but when I hunt, I want to be outside and nothing between me and the great outdoors. I don't even care for duck blinds. I would rather sit still in the cattails or weeds.

So I am checking to see if that is just a trend here in Nebraska (because people like to build things here) or if you are seeing the same thing in your parts of the country.

Boolit Buddy
    In my shoes. And where ever they take me.
    I hunt outside. The landowners with enough land to hunt on out west are timber companies. Decades of dumping garbage and abusing their roads has caused the 3 big companies to lock their gates. You can buy a permit for certain areas, but there are only 500 year long permits an area and they sell out online in 30 minutes. They are expensive, might as well buy meat.

One outfit allows walk in, horseback, or bicycle for free. So I bike in about 8 - 10 miles. Walk another 4-5. And the blacktails only come into clearings when it's raining or stormy. On frosty sunny mornings some can be found trying to warm up.

Forest service is where you see many road hunters.

I primarily hunt spot n stalk, so am always outside

Boolit Master

On my own land I always hunt outside. I have several ladder stands that I usually use. One of my neighbors has about 25 shooting houses on his property, so when hunting his land I hunt inside.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Grand Master

Deer mostly outside but for turkeys archery I use a portable ground blind .
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master

Our one neighbor in his 80s built a small hunting shack. Has a small wood burning stove in it. not only provides heat but coffee and lunch. He has mobility issues and the cold really bothers him. This little shack has kept him deer hunting. He can drive up to it on his 4 wheeler. go in build a fire and stay warm toasty and enjoy his sport still. It dosnt take a lot to heat it. I believe the first year he used sterno cans to heat. A small fire in the little stove even with charcoal heats it right up and a cowboy coffee pot hes warm and comfy. He also keeps some chunky soups and a couple spoons in it as they dont need water . At hi age he deserves the comforts

Boolit Buddy
    I hunt inside, spiders mostly.

Boolit Master
    I used to hunt outside years ago, but wasn't too successful. I eventually started using an old broken down barn as a blind. The barn housed horses in the lower level, feed was kept on the upper level. Roof was going, so old floor kept the rain off me, eventually the floor started leaking, so I screwed a sheet of plywood, and that help a lot. I sat in front of an open window, and propped up another sheet of plywood over the door. So even though I was " inside" it was like being outside. Quite successful from that barn. Eventually, I had a prebuilt garage brought in, and that was much nicer, but still cold, even with a small propane heater. Just too much area to heat. Still, success was good. Last year, I built an elevated blind (2ft up) in another area of my property. Deer are getting used to it. I managed to kill a doe out of it on Nov 29. She dressed out at 123 lbs. Hope to get back out for ml season. It's not insulated, but I do have black plastic on the two windows, and the door. So far, I only hunt out of one window. I just pin the black plastic up to get it out of the way.
    All the wood used was stuff I've been saving for years.

Boolit Master

I hunt outside. I did buy a portable blind. Never used it. My father he sits in his wood shed for deer. He used to use tree stands. But he's to old for stands he told me.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Master
    My happy place is in a big old man climbing stand with a nice cushion under my but and another behind my back . Taking a nap .....

Boolit Master
    I would love to be outside. But health problems demand warmer surroundings.

Boolit Master

I have always hunted outside; but built a 7x12 building wirh 3 windowa across the front, 2 windows and door on the back and a window on each end. The roof has a 2' overhang all the way around. This was built primarily as a convenience for my daughters at 8 and 10 yoa. I have set many times under a cedar in the rain and enjoy being outdoors. My favorite type of hunting is still hunting though the woods and openings when the weather js damp and cool. When its dry like it is now, you better just find a place and sit.

Boolit Master
    Outside is the rule for me. Mostly slow walking through burnt forests, we have more and more of them. I bought a small pop up tent and used it a little. They keep the frost off you, but condense moisture too.

Depends where I'm hunting. Where I used to hunt there were lots of deer and open spaces. There I preferred spot and stalk and/ or still hunt in the open. Worked well. These days where I hunt there are fewer deer and they are MUCH more alert to hunters. Spot and stalk here you'd just plain be lucky to get close enough to a careless deer. Tried the still hunt thing a few years and saw mostly does which were spotting and stalking me then alerting everyone else in the woods where I was. Built a couple blinds to sit in now. Nothing elaborate. They're not warm or very rain proof. They're only a bit more comfortable than when I still hunted.
    Where they shine is...
    1) I have a near 360 degree area I can shoot with a sturdy rest for my rifle
    2) The deer always know when I'm in the blind but incredibly, it doesn't seem to bother them much.
    I've had them come right up to the blind, look right at me and kind of say howdy or at least "I know you're in there"
    For hogs, the situation dictates how I hunt but stalking is the most enjoyable.
    For turkey, I now just hang around camp and call now and again. When I have one responding and coming closer
    I grab a gun and hide behind what ever is convenient.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have done both. Sitting out in a cold rain gets old quick for me. Age factors into too and how much of "hunter" you are.
    Don Verna

The older i get the more the enclosure type stands look more attractive. Last 10 years I stopped using hang on stands and have been only using ladder stands which are easier to climb after 4 back surgeries. I like being able to see unobstructed so one of the cheap umbrella roofs and a waist high blind of camo cordura keep the rain/snow and a lot of the wind off of me and also helps conceal movements since I don't twist easily anymore. I did buy a 12' platform stand and will be making a similar blind for it using 1/8" or 1/4" abs plastic and a welded steel tube frame.

Boolit Master
    I hunt in my living room all the time. Usually for the stuff I put someplace and can’t remember were I put.
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by poppy42 View Post
    I hunt in my living room all the time. Usually for the stuff I put someplace and can’t remember were I put.
    You remind me of my brother when my wife tried to get him interested in geocaching. After my wife explained to him how it worked he said, "Why would I spend so much time looking for stuff someone else hid when I already have so much of my own stuff I can't find!"

Boolit Buddy
    Had to replace the roof after 30 or so years.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171216_120012.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	90.1 KB 
ID:	292740
    When I speak of:
    45-70: that is a 45-70 Uberti 1885 High Wall Rifle
    357 Mag. Rifle: that is a Uberti 1873 Carbine

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bowfin View Post
    You remind me of my brother when my wife tried to get him interested in geocaching. After my wife explained to him how it worked he said, "Why would I spend so much time looking for stuff someone else hid when I already have so much of my own stuff I can't find!"
    I’m with your brother! I had to do a search to find out what geocaching was! I have enough trouble finding my own junk. I certainly don’t want to spend time looking for someone else’s!
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast