Load DataTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWideners
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Amazon bargains

Amazon bargains

I know, a lot of you, myself included don't really like Amazon. They along with Walmart kill small local businesses. But unfortunately, in a lot of places, small businesses are gone. So you do what you must do to get on with life.
    So, my daughter's new house is finished except for a few small items that we are doing. One is obtaining kitchen door hardware, knobs/handles. Late getting them and I'll have to do it as builder is done. Daughter couldn't decide on which and style. At any rate, she was looking at local hardware and big box stores and couldn't find what she liked.
    Looked at amazon. And found a style she liked. New only $35 for 25 handles. So $70 for enough to do the kitchen Amazon basics brand. But we were looking and they offered the same 25 handles in a 'like new' condition for $11.75. Took a chance and for less than $25 got 2 boxes. Almost $50 savings. And they were new.
    One box had been opened, but inner bags had not been opened. The other box had factory seal in place. So both boxes were just returned.
    One of the few things we have saved any money on this build.... Only 40% over budget. Dang Pandemic, and dang supply chain.

I just bought, returned and purchased other knobs for the cabinetry in my new reloading room and found the same thing. I couldn't find anything I wanted at the big box stores, especially at that price.

One thing I have found is buy lots of extras, as almost impossible to find these latter. I also found this goes for hinges. Screw locations move, or new finishes, or just not made any more. Had to redrill for those crazy european hinges.

Boolit Grand Master
    Sometimes I order from Amazon just because I need an item and none are available in town. Not that they don't have the item, they just don't carry it.

Boolit Buddy
    Amazon didn't kill the local business--consumers did. And as you pointed out, Amazon has the buying power to save us all money. What are you going to do with your $50 in savings? That's the question now!

My family shops Amazon too frequently. I see the markup and salary gap in a big retail store and think they will soon adjust to be more competitive.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

In my town, local business seems to have killed local business. I have twice run into the additude of "We can order that for you. We won't, but we can". Twice is two times too many for any business in any town.

Amazon offers lots of stuff in used or 'like new' condition at a discount.
    I figure it's returns.

You roll the dice with them.
    Sometimes ya make out, but I've read reviews where some of those items were broken, or missing parts.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Amazon makes return of items easy...
    NRA Endowment Life Member

Boolit Buddy

Whenever we order from Amazon, we use Amazon Smile and choose the California Rifle and Pistol Association as our charity. Every purchase gives a portion of the price to my preferred charity.
    “If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on earth.” - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    I like to buy local---but---so many times have I gone to a local store where the employer pretends to pay workers who then pretend to work (or vice/versa). From poor service to "oh well we usually have those but not today, but you can order through the store (computer) and then we will let you know when you can come back and pick it up" Ughhh NO! Why would I subject myself to that carp when I can go on line, order the item (usually for less) and have it delivered to my door? Several less than impressive experiences have me to the point that I do not even try to find things local, just order it on line.
    R.D.M.

Boolit Grand Master
    Why drive 25 miles each way to a city of 4000 and hope to find what I want when I can shop online, pay less and get the item delivered in a coupe of days?
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

Wife buys stuff from Amazon. I must admit they usually have better prices and selection. The “ like new for less” stuff hasn’t panned out too well for us. It the item requires power most often it doesn’t work any better for us than it did for the previous purchaser.
    The whole online order / delivery thing is convenient, sometimes too much so. For most of us the process of getting ready, driving to stores, selecting purchases and returning home isn’t fun but it does have a dampening effect on random spending. It also requires a person to socially interact. The events of the past two years have proven socialization is a key component to mental and physical well being. We talk about kids spending all day on gaming consoles instead of going outside. Even when you’re out half the people you see are staring at a mobile device. Isolation is the opposite of socialization. It, and anything that promotes it is not good for the population that makes up the human family.
    For all it’s short term benefits, the Amazon experience is changing society in some bad ways. I for one, am not enthusiastic about a society built on electronic connectivity. Just like global sourcing, those brick and mortar businesses employ people, when they close people lose jobs and become burdens on society, or worse.
    Besides, try haggling about the price with Amazon.

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks for posting about this. I have seen a few items listed as used and wondered about them. Now I know!