Inline FabricationWidenersReloading EverythingLee Precision
Load DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swedish M96

Boolit Buddy

Swedish M96

Have this old Swedish Mauser I bought a few years back at Cabelas. Its dated 1906 on the reciever ring and everything is in good shape. The muzzle is threaded and it has a muzzle brake screwed on the end of the barrel. There are many cuts on different areas of the stock and I have no idea what they are for. The bolt looks factory, but is curved. It has a Century Arms ID near the end of the barrel.......................

Boolit Master

Sounds like it’s a M38 or M94 depending on barrel length. The M96 and the M38/96 had straight bolts with the M96 being the longer barrel version. Not sure what your question is other than which version you have.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

There was only one Swedish rifle with a muzzle brake and bent bolt, the Model-40 which was far all purposes a German M-98k chambered for the Swedish M-32 machine gun round. The M-32 cartridge, 8x63mm these were issued to Swedish machine gun troops only and not general issue.

With a date of 1906 on the receiver, I highly doubt it's an M-40.

We need pictures!

Boolit Buddy
    It could be one of the older Kimber custom's. IIRC, Kimber got its start 'sporterizing' Swedish Mausers.

Boolit Master
    Ray,

How long is the barrel? It sounds like a M96 with about a 30 inch barrel. I have one with a threaded muzzle with a screw on muzzlebrake. Some M96s were converted to M38 barrel length with about a 24 inch barrel. I have several and a true M38 with threaded muzzle, MB and a turn down bolt. Hope this helps.

Adam

Boolit Master
    The muzzle brake is more of a flash suppressor that some importers or dealers put on the rifles to make them snazzier. The barrel was threaded to attach a blank firing device that shredded the wooden-bullet blanks the Swedes used to render them less dangerous. During rebuild bolts with turned down handles were fitted to some rifles. If the serial number on the bolt handle matches the receiver, it's original to the rifle. Even if it's not numbered to the receiver it's no big deal as long as the headspace is good.

Boolit Master
    higgins,

Yes, you got it right to a point? When does a Muzzle Brake become a Flash Suppressor? Many of my Swedes have a screw on device to protect the barrel threads and have long flutes in the device. Are they Flash Suppressors or Muzzle Brakes? What is the difference???

Adam

Boolit Master

There was a device that threaded on the end of some swede's that was meant to shred a wooden training bullet upon exiting the barrel. Are you sure it's a muzzle break?
    So many guns, so little time

You must pay for everything in this life - nothing is free, except for the grace of God.

"Free cheese only comes in a mousetrap"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mac60 View Post
    There was a device that threaded on the end of some swede's that was meant to shred a wooden training bullet upon exiting the barrel. Are you sure it's a muzzle break?
    mac60,

Ok so PLEASE educate me since I only hold a Masters Degree. WHAT is the difference between a Flash Suppressor and a Muzzle Brake? Help? I see flutes in the 2 inch device, BUT what is it?

Adam

It's an aftermarket flash suppressor. A muzzle brake has a small opening for the bullet to exit while the ports, slots, gills or holes vent the gas sideways or slightly rearward to "brake" the recoil. A flash suppressor has a large opening at the muzzle- sure keeps the crown out of the dirt in the floorboard IME.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Sorry I can't post a pic, my cameras on the fritz. The device on the end of the barrel is definitely a flash suppressor, has long slots that break up the flash. It has a 29 inch barrel and regular open sights on the rear and a post front sight. I am wondering when the flash suppressor was in stalled, did it have something to do with WWII? This is really a beautiful, well made rifle. The only thing it really lacks is the Mauser receiver cross-bolt. Going to start making bullets on Monday. I sent off for a book on Swedish Mausers.....................

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Helmer View Post
    mac60,

Ok so PLEASE educate me since I only hold a Masters Degree. WHAT is the difference between a Flash Suppressor and a Muzzle Brake? Help? I see flutes in the 2 inch device, BUT what is it?

Adam
    A flash suppressor suppresses the flash. Generally, a devise in the end of the muzzle that contains and breaks up the muzzle flash with long longitudinal slots during limited visibility. Useful to avoid detection but mostly to keep from blinding the shooter. Some flash suppressors can dampen the effect of recoil although not as much as a true muzzle break.

A muzzle break redirects the gas to pull the firearm forward and/or to keep the muzzle from rising. This is accomplished via the "jet action" of the gas. Some muzzle breaks also act as a flash suppressor though most often not as good as a true flash suppressor.

Be advised there are many designs out there of both. Some are functional in name only........
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    Texas,

The device on the muzzles of my M96 and M38 is 2.25 inches long with 4 flutes (cuts) every 90 degrees around the outside of the device along the length that are 1.75 inches long. The bullet passes through the inside of the device. So, is it a flash suppressor or muzzle brake, perhaps both. LOL.

Thanks Larry for the information. Whichever my Swedes have, the device protect the muzzle threads and it does look cool. I cannot post pictures because I do not have the skills needed. Sorry.

Adam

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks so much to all for your help!!! Just one more small item that kind of slid in the back of my brain; Does the rifle shoot better with or without the muzzle break? I kind of hesitated to throw that in because its probably an individual issue..................

Boolit Master
    Ray,

That is a great question that could be determined at the bench. I worked out my Swede accuracy loads with the devices installed and never saw a need to discover if removing it made a difference. Perhaps next Spring I will go to my backyard bench and find out.

Adam

Hello Ray,

Mine was imported by Century Arms,
    the Barrel was about 24" but it still had the threaded portion on it.
    The Bolt was the Straight type, and the date is 1902.
    All numbers match, not sure if this info helps any.
    Of course I had it customized a little, cut the bolt
    & reworked it and put it in a composite stock.
    I really love this thing, I usually carry it deer hunting.

AntiqueSledMan.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Swede-2.jpg   Swede-1.jpg  

In the glory days of Reagan, tons of military rifles were imported including the wonderful Swedish Mausers. A smart entrepreneur offered the flash hiders for the Swedish rifles to both protect the muzzle threads and to look “Tacticool”- which was reason enough for me to buy one for my $60 1896 Orbendorf Mauser.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I can’t see why a military rife in 6.5x55 would need a muzzle break. Perhaps an importer got a good deal on a bunch that had the blank shredders on them. They were removed and replaced with whatever it is to make them more sellable. I don’t think you would be able to shoot regular bullets through the shredder. Crown Jewels is the Bible of Swedish Mausers.

Boolit Master

The original imports came with a small cap to cover and protect the threads. The flash suppressor was an aftermarket item that replaced that cap and made your rifle look all cool and such. In point of fact, not all m-96's came with threaded barrels. Those that received little use and thus little barrel erosion did not receive new barrels during arsenal rebuilds.

They are fantastically well-built rifles that were imported and sold for less than $100 up into the mid-90's, and are still undervalued today imho.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks so much for all the great responses! Got out a few of my 6.5 molds tonight and was trying to figure out which bullet to try first. I bought Lymans latest a few years back, but have an NEI mold from back in the 80's that I had made with 2 different cavities in the same mold. One is 130 grs. and the other is 160 grs. Really like the looks of that 160 gr. bullet; might start with that...........................

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast