Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingLoad DataRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Swedish M96

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Fishman,

I looked at a 96 at Larry's West in Madison Alabama yesterday , price was $999 and change + tax . Last one I saw for sale prior to that was at the Reloading Bench in Mount Juliet Tennessee it was right at $800 , that was several years ago . Hard to call that undervalued considering they were in the $200-350 range when I bought mine . MY CG63 cost me less than $700 and I could have bought an original and complete sniper for $500 over that .

OP,
    Scrap the screw on device and find one of the sleeves that screw on to protect the threads . They came in metal and soft plastic , either works bot the blued metal looks better . I tried several rifles with the device you mentioned attached and it did not improve the accuracy but it did seem to decrease the accuracy of one of the rifles a small amount . Take some cell phone pictures and post them , need to see the cuts to the stock you mentioned . Mine have no cuts that were not normal to the '96 but do exhibit some marks that look like they were stepped on by someone wearing hobnail boots . I have several like that .
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray1946 View Post
    Thanks so much for all the great responses! Got out a few of my 6.5 molds tonight and was trying to figure out which bullet to try first. I bought Lymans latest a few years back, but have an NEI mold from back in the 80's that I had made with 2 different cavities in the same mold. One is 130 grs. and the other is 160 grs. Really like the looks of that 160 gr. bullet; might start with that...........................
    Ray1946,
    Read all the posts you can find on loading for these rifles before you start with the cast . They can be rather particular about which cast bullets they will shoot . Jacketed bullets , I haven't found one yet I can't make shoot . My Ruger carbine is not picky and shoots cast and condom equally well . The Ruger shoots the Lyman 266469 into tiny puddles but none of my Swedes seems to like it much though I am still trying to figure out how to make them shoot it .
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Master
    I bought one with the flash suppressor, put it in a lathe and cut it off. Left the threaded part and used it as a thread protector.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Southgate View Post
    Fishman,

I looked at a 96 at Larry's West in Madison Alabama yesterday , price was $999 and change + tax . Last one I saw for sale prior to that was at the Reloading Bench in Mount Juliet Tennessee it was right at $800 , that was several years ago . Hard to call that undervalued considering they were in the $200-350 range when I bought mine . MY CG63 cost me less than $700 and I could have bought an original and complete sniper for $500 over that .

OP,
    Scrap the screw on device and find one of the sleeves that screw on to protect the threads . They came in metal and soft plastic , either works bot the blued metal looks better . I tried several rifles with the device you mentioned attached and it did not improve the accuracy but it did seem to decrease the accuracy of one of the rifles a small amount . Take some cell phone pictures and post them , need to see the cuts to the stock you mentioned . Mine have no cuts that were not normal to the '96 but do exhibit some marks that look like they were stepped on by someone wearing hobnail boots . I have several like that .
    Wow, I had no idea they had increased that much in the past couple years. My personal thought was that they couldn't be duplicated even with today's technology for less than $1500, so those prices aren't really out of line. You got me to thinking and I can't remember seeing any for sale locally in quite a while.

My first one cost me $79. My last one cost me $375. A couple of my friends gave me some grief about that one, but it is beautiful, unthreaded with a unit disc and tiger striping the entire length of the gun. I couldn't get my money out fast enough.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Boolit Buddy
    Fishman; I got mine last year in April at Cabelas, just shy of $500.00. I really like the build and the quality. I am planning on shooting this old rifle with lead boolits ONLY!!! Recently got the publication"Vintage Military rifle" from CMP and think this might be the place for competing with these old battle rifles. There is a young fella on Youtube who does a thing called Run n' Gun and he does this with a Swedish Mauser amongst others, very interesting.........................

Swedish M96

Credit ‘Crown Jewels’ in blank firing adapter info (why it’s threaded)

practice wooden blanks, m/14, and bfa:

The m/96 and m/38 ‘flash hiders’, as mentioned, are aftermarket importer gimmicks.
    Last edited by Stewbaby; 12-12-2021 at 09:28 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Saeco 140gn mould ,we use depleted Lino @ 20bn, drops about 136 gns, 18 gns 2207(H4198) will run about 1.5” 100 yds,open sights. All day. Cheers Mal in au. Our thoughts go out to all our US friends in the path of that tornado,stay safe!!

Boolit Buddy
    Stewbaby; on the bottom rifle of the three shown there is "T" on the front sight block, what does it stand for ?...........................

Stewbaby; on the bottom rifle of the three shown there is "T" on the front sight block, what does it stand for ?...........................
    It means the sights were corrected for use with the m/41 spitzer ammo after it was adopted.

…most times, in an effort to save money, they just put a range correction plate/sticker on them vs revising the sights.

Some cast boolit options and others Swedish pointy things.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the great photos!...........................

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Stewbaby View Post
    Some cast boolit options and others Swedish pointy things.

What you have marked as "Dutch" round nose should be Danish.

Boolit Buddy
    We avoid boat tail pills, flat base performs much better in the 96 military chamber! Cheers Mal in au.

Quote Originally Posted by Hahndorf1874 View Post
    We avoid boat tail pills, flat base performs much better in the 96 military chamber! Cheers Mal in au.
    They all perform well. The military m/41 spitzer round (with its slight boat tail) is as good as it gets in Swedish Mauser ammo and the hand loaded SMK and Hornady match w/ R22 perform similar.

Swedish M96

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchman View Post
    What you have marked as "Dutch" round nose should be Danish.
    Yes Sir, correct…stupid American here…I’d fixed it on the computer but not on the one on my phone, oops.

PS: can you add that round to your web site and mention the soft jacket issues?

I use this mold for my Swede sized to .266 and it works real nice over 31 grains of IMR4895.

https://noebulletmolds.com/site/shop...3-4-cavity-gc/

I want to eventually get one of these since I think it may work better in the old M96 with that heavier weight.

https://noebulletmolds.com/site/shop...6-4-cavity-gc/

Boolit Buddy
    Eddie; what kind of velocity were you getting from the 31 grs. of 4895?

Eddie; what kind of velocity were you getting from the 31 grs. of 4895?
    I never chronoed the round since I don't own one unfortunately....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12