WidenersLoad DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackboxReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky

Thread: 22 De-Rim Force

Boolit Bub

22 De-Rim Force

Does anyone know the force required when de-rimming 22 brass?
    I知 considering a power setup. But I don稚 want to use air and have to run a compressor. I also want to avoid hydraulic. I知 considering a linear actuator. I知 not sure what torque range I should be looking at for the actuator though.

Boolit Master
    I have been de-rimming on a Redding ultra mag and Was surprised at the effort required. I will attempt to measure the force exerted on the handle and dimensions and get this back to you.
    Decreed by our Creator: The man who has been made able to believe and understand that Jesus Christ has been sent into this world by the Father has been born of the Spirit of God. This man shall never experience spiritual death. He will live forever!

Boolit Master
    Do not know how much force it took on my RCBS rock chucker but I was using a 42" cheater pipe and much of my 250#. Who would have thought the little buggers would be that tough. They were well lubed but not annealed. I did worry about breaking my press.

Boolit Master

Not able to easily find an answer - but this might put you on the trail. I have a pnuematic swage press that was built by a member here on the site 7 or 8 years ago. It has a cylinder that is a 4 inch bore, 4 inch stroke, with a 1" ram. Operating at 100 PSI; easily swages rim from 22LR or 22Magnum brass. And of course the entire force is applied against a swage tool punch of about 0.196 diameter. If pressure drops to 80 psi; the system can barely derim the brass.

Should be sufficient info for some one to make the calculations in the data above.
    Last edited by MUSTANG; 12-06-2021 at 06:22 PM.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for the replies guys! It’s definitely some force. I use a rock chucker with no cheater and after a few hundred I’m ready for a break.

Mustang that’s exactly what I was hoping for! Thank you! I ordered the actuator yesterday. I started to think I wouldn’t get any replies. I ordered the largest actuator I could find that wasn’t outrageous. Looks like I have 500 N to spare on force. Just need to figure out what I’m going to do to keep it cool so I can bump up the duty cycle some. I’m hoping to print out a fan adapter.

Boolit Buddy
    I also use a BTSniper pneumatic swage press and dies. Look on you tube to see how it operates. With this set up will get tired of pushing the buttons after a couple of thousand cycles. I keep the pressure between 90-95 psi. Good luck with your project and post pictures with your progress.
    Edit: I need to contact Him to get dies to do .22 magnum cases.

Boolit Mold
    [QUOTE=Dsltech1;5311509]Thanks for the replies guys! It痴 definitely some force. I use a rock chucker with no cheater and after a few hundred I知 ready for a break.

I started derimming 22LR brass with a reloading press (Lee classic cast) and it required so much force that I was afraid something was going to break. I was fortunate enough to purchase a Walnut Hill-2 Press (https://www.rceco.com/catalog) from Richard Corbin along with his 22LR to 224 Jacket Maker die set (https://www.rceco.com/accessory-dies). The effort required to derim the brass dropped considerably. The leverage a purpose built swaging press gives you is much greater for tasks like this.

Boolit Buddy
    I have de-rimmed likely 10,000 LR cases using a corbin die set for reloading presses. When set up to just take the rim out at the very top of ram travel,the effort is not much more than finger tip pressure. This only sizes the case about a 1/8" down. When the ram is lowered the case stays in the die. The next case is put on the punch and pushes the previous case the rest of the way through. The cases need to be lubed and I also swiped some lube on the punch so the case would more easily slip off. The punch tip eventually wore enough so I had to make a new and much harder punch. I tried the way you guys are doing it and that's way more work than I want to do.