Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLoad DataWideners
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication

Thread: Double .690 Round Ball load

Boolit Buddy

Double .690 Round Ball load

Use at your own risk! Neither myself nor Cast Boolits are responsible for what you reload or how you reload.

.690 double Round Ball load -

Hull: 12 ga. 3" Activ

PRIMER: Federal 209A

POWDER: Blue Dot / 34.0 grains

1 - BPGS on top of powder

1 - 12 ga. Nitro Card on top of BPGS

1 or 2 - Teflon Wrap inserted into hull, depending on ball/wrap/bore fit

1 - 12 ga. 1/8" Wool Felt on top of Nitro Card

2 - Lyman .690 Round Balls

1 - Clear Plastic Overshot Card on top of the Round Balls

Roll crimp

Depending on orientation of the "sprue" on the Round Balls, you may have to omit the Wool Felt for a more proper roll crimp.

I do not know this for a fact, as I have not done any pressure testing to prove otherwise, but I have had a lot of guys say that the 3" Fiocchi hull has the same internal capacity as that of the 3" Activ hull's, and that load data is interchangeable. Again, I have NOT pressure tested any loads in the 3" Fiocchi hull's, so I do not know if this is valid or not.

As far as the accuracy of this double .690 Round Ball load goes, both balls will generally stay within 3" or less of each other at 50 yards, and within 5" or less of each other at 100 yards.

One ball is generally right on target, and the other is just a couple of inches away.

For guys that use this load for hogs, I have never seen any other load that will drop a hog faster than what this load will!

Center punch the front shoulder of a deer, and it's light's out in very short order!

Where did you find this load? Was it pressure tested in the Activ Hull?
    If you live on the razor's edge and slip, you will die in two pieces

Boolit Buddy
    This load was pressure tested in the Activ hull.

The load was a lead shot turkey load from BPI almost 30 years ago, with the lead shot being replaced by the two .690 round balls.

Boolit Grand Master

While I'm sure a Fiocchi hull is close enough to an Active, they will not accept American size primers, at least not without resizing the primer pocket. Instead, the true substitution is the Federal .090" plastic basewad hull. There are manuals out there that state these are safe to substitute.

I bet that was the BPI Turkey Ranger manual. I loved that, but lost it in my last move. One of the best patterning turkey loads I ever came up with came out of there.

The Federal will have way more capacity than the Activ. The active hulls I have are the same capacity as BPI Multihulls. Remington 0.200 base wad hulls have more capacity than the Active hulls.
    If you live on the razor's edge and slip, you will die in two pieces

Boolit Grand Master

No, if you measure the water capacity of both, the Federal .090" basewad, and the Active hulls have very close capacities. I've only measured the 3". Maybe the 2 3/4" was different.

In almost all ways, the Federal's a superior hulls though, so no worries there.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    While I'm sure a Fiocchi hull is close enough to an Active, they will not accept American size primers, at least not without resizing the primer pocket. Instead, the true substitution is the Federal .090" plastic basewad hull. There are manuals out there that state these are safe to substitute.

I bet that was the BPI Turkey Ranger manual. I loved that, but lost it in my last move. One of the best patterning turkey loads I ever came up with came out of there.
    The best BPI turkey load I have ever used was the 1 7/8 oz. load in the 2 3/4" Activ hull. We killed a lot of turkeys with that particular load.

I will have to see if I can locate some of those Federal .090 plastic base wad hull's and pressure test them against the Activ hull's.

Boolit Grand Master

Ballistic Products has them, link below. The price of them is getting outlandish. They were always hard to get, they sold out fast, but 2 years ago I bought a whole bunch for $21 a bag. On top of that, Bucks Run Sports usually has them once-fired, and while I don't recall the price, I also bought a whole bunch of those. So I must have a few thousand of them.

This year I've only shot a muzzleloader for ducks and geese. Last year I mainly shot my 12 gauge with a load using these Federal 3". Every hunt I'd collect my shells, and load them again. I've got some shells that have made it 6-7 loads of very strong 1 1/2 oz bismuth loads. Even though these have steel heads, the plating they use is far superior than anything else, they hardly rust even if rained on. I always loose them before they wear out, otherwise I'd trim them to 2 3/4" and keep going.

https://www.ballisticproducts.com/Fe...info/0621230B/

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you for the information. I'll check around and see what I can come up with.

Duck and goose hunting is by far my most favorite type of hunting, and unlike so many others, I thoroughly enjoy shooting steel shoot.