Load DataRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee Precision
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Reloading Everything

Thread: Lee Pro conundrum.

Lee Pro conundrum.

A friend asked me to look at his old Lee Pro 1000. He’s pretty handy but can’t make it work. He gave it to me but I can’t make it work either. All my stuff is Lee ( 3 LPK ) so I’ve done my years of scratching my head.
    When the machine is cranked the carrier will not go fully to the bottom meaning the shell plate is short of the correct position. The screw adjustment underneath does nothing. Then I noticed the drive bolt was longer by about 1/2 inch. Odd. Tried one of mine. No good. Bought a new drive bolt carrier. It’s a different fit and longer than the old one. It’s obviously an older machine but all else looks good including the nylon cogs order the carrier. Hope the pics load.
    Any ideas.
    Sorry pics won’t load

Call Lee.
    They have a good reputation for making things right.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Is the carrier tightened on the ram? Is the action rod in correctly?

All seems good. The ram comes down and stops an inch or so from bottoming out and thus allowing the cycle. Action rod is longer, like I said, but it works. Half crank the handle and it goes into place but next crank it all comes up short. I thought I had it with the twist rod but when I changed it for one of mine….it was still short by the same amount. Wish the pics would load.

Boolit Grand Master

Just a thought here you may want to check the link pins for wear or being bent/sprung. A lot less here would make the 1/2" in the stroke.

Is the 3 hole turret filled in or clogged where the action rod goes?

Hole is clear. The drive that holds the rod is a different design and won’t take the old one.

Lee Pro conundrum

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	26410098-D853-4891-B250-9C005FC0B26F.jpeg 
Views:	32 
Size:	30.8 KB 
ID:	292602

Here it is. You can see the down position. I know the screw normally adjusts this issue but it’s more than that. Old model for sure.
    Last edited by nagantino; 12-03-2021 at 12:59 PM.

Name:	30F94F22-E35E-4706-95D3-9EEC9FAA96A5.jpeg 
Views:	35 
Size:	28.9 KB 
ID:	292603

It goes into position with another half crank.

Boolit Master
    I suggest you watch some vids and you might see something you can do to get that press working.

https://leeprecision.com/pro-1000-help-videos.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8FPB3tu6tg

That's what I do...
    jmo,
    Last edited by Kenstone; 12-03-2021 at 01:54 PM.
    Size/Prime a few cases when starting off with a progressive and put them aside. You can plug them back into the process when a bad/odd case screws up in the priming station and continue loading.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nagantino View Post

Name:	30F94F22-E35E-4706-95D3-9EEC9FAA96A5.jpeg 
Views:	35 
Size:	28.9 KB 
ID:	292603

It goes into position with another half crank.
    Another half crank of what?
    If you watch the Zero Adjustment vid you will see where the screw is turned an additional 3/4 of a turn after the shell plate snaps into position.
    Are you doing that??
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngfWHDkkBZE&t=2s
    jmo,
    Size/Prime a few cases when starting off with a progressive and put them aside. You can plug them back into the process when a bad/odd case screws up in the priming station and continue loading.

If the rod is longer, did it come from another press, not Pro1k (turret)? Does the ram bottom out where it's supposed to? Did your friend buy it new or used from someone and try to fix it? Maybe a FrankenLee. End resort, would be call Lee.

Half crank of the arm and I think I mentioned that the screw adjustment doesn’t change anything.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nagantino View Post
    Half crank of the arm and I think I mentioned that the screw adjustment doesn’t change anything.
    Thanks for responding to my post.

Oh OK
    "I mentioned that the screw adjustment doesn’t change anything"
    Don't you find that to be suspect?? I would...
    I suggest you remove the carrier and take another look at the Hex Ratchet and Ratchet Gear (inside and outside) to determine why turning the Phillips adjusting screw clockwise has no effect on the shell plate.
    Those are the parts that affect the shell plate indexing and indexing is your problem as I see it.
    That's just me though,

Name:	4651A90B-BF9B-46CA-BAFD-F53C9B208ABC.jpeg 
Views:	43 
Size:	30.3 KB 
ID:	292625Didn’t mean to bark….just had a tough evening with an elderly uncle. Yes the ratchet would suggest a problem but it also looks ok.

Boolit Master
    My thoughts would be the nylon gear. The wear between the screw and the gear may be enough. That the gear will skip threads as the screw is turned.
    In the last picture you showed. Did you try turning the screw to see what happens to the nylon gear.?

Boolit Master

Replace the gear. I have had four Pro 1000's running for years. That gear does not have to be boogered up much to cause that problem.

After saving the picture and expanding it. Is the adjustment screw head held captive to prevent it from moving thus making the gear move? There should be a notch that the head fits in to. It looks to me like the screw is too far in.
    Last edited by Finster101; 12-04-2021 at 11:50 AM.

Boolit Master

There should be a plate there. Is it missing or did you take it off ?

Yes I removed the plate. Keystone had it, there is an issue with the nylon gear wheels. If I dismantle the carrier assembly I can make the shell plate move but if I assemble the press it won’t move at all. Tried my buddies but non of them use the Lee system. I’ve lots of bits but not those parts. I’ve 3 Lee pros and a single stage and I’m reluctant to cannibalise them to make this one work. I’m near a solution.

I think the shell plate has gone out of time. As the other posters have pointed out it depends on that Nylon ratchet bit to ensure synchronisation between lever and shell plate positions. The reason it won't go all the way down is that the primer seating plunger is hitting the bottom of the shell plate instead of going through the cut out for the case head. Also make sure that the shell plate carrier is all the way down on the ram.
    "Consciousness is a lie your brain tells you to make you think you know what you are doing." Professor Maria Goncalves.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear. George Orwell.