MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackbox
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingWidenersTitan Reloading
Load Data

Thread: Barrel for Pedersoli Sharps 45/70

Boolit Mold

Barrel for Pedersoli Sharps 45/70

Good evening all,

I was wondering if anyone would suggest/recommend a gun dealer who I could contact for a replacement barrel for my Pedersoli Sharps replica in 45/70. Cutting a long story short, the barrel i have has been drilled through by someone fitting a rail. It's possible to repair (probably) but a new barrel solves the problem. Currently in the UK the sole importer doesn't know how long it would take to source one, nor how much it would cost. thus my search further afield. So, any likely solutions greatly received.

thanks

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    You should try to contact Pedersoli directly. They didn’t used to sell to the public, but they have a website now and it looks like the do.

Just a thought, if I were you, I would get a 45/90 barrel. I don’t think there’s any reason it shouldn’t fit. That’s because I shoot a lot of BP and can never get enough in the 45/70 case. It all depends what you plan to use the gun for. Just something to think about.

Boolit Grand Master

I would recommend contacting pedersoli also but for this reason their replacement barrel may thread in with little to no fitting.

Unless hole comes thru the groove completely it going to foul and degrade accuracy. even with a plug in the hole. Another concern would be the fine thread in the plug containing pressure, normally there is a adequate solid for this and the screw backs it up it dosnt bear any pressure

Boolit Master
    I “fixed” a friend’s H&R Underhammer that somebody had drilled through the barrel to fit a scope block. He couldn’t see the poof of smoke while shooting, but bystanders could, easily. We were able to explain to him the reason he got the gun so cheaply.

Brownell’s have slightly oversize plug screws that can be burned into threaded holes such as this, and I first ran a standard screw in until the friend could feel his bore mop snagging on the projecting end. I turned the oversize one in slightly short of that depth, cut off most of the top, and peened the remainder flat with a small punch. I then filed the flat part flush. It was hard to see the repair.

No more smoke, and the repair held up through several shooting sessions, although it was loaded with maybe 50-60gr of black powder behind a round ball. A cartridge load with a real boolit would generate more pressure. Might work as a stopgap for you until Pedersoli sends you a new barrel, depending on your load and what you want to do with the gun. I wouldn’t use any smokeless loads, in any case, and doubt you will be winning matches with it, but this dodge might get it shooting, at least. I can’t recommend the procedure, of course; you're on your own if you try it. We were wild&crazy kids back then (in our forties!), and reckless to a fault (though it was fun).

I don’t know if the Commonwealth still allows such shipping easements, but one of the Canadian barrelmakers might be able to help you out without those tiresome restrictions on gun parts.

I'd simply have the existing barrel relined. Cheaper than buying a new barrel, then fitting it, and bluing. Probably save a bunch of money, and still have the hole you can go ahead and mount a scope base on.

Boolit Master
    Most gunsmithing books tell how to fix a drilled trough hole.....and with a good bore scope and loctite ,an invisible job inside and out will be fairly easy.

Have you tried Peter Sarony at Armalon? Also try Callum Ferguson, Norman Clarke and Border Barrels. I trust the incompetent who drilled the hole will be buying the new barrel?

Boolit Master
    I have an octagon Uberti 45-70 barrel. Would that work?
    Founder of the Single Shot section.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have.

8 in the 10 ring, then I get a PING. Love my Garand.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius1963 View Post
    Good evening all,

I was wondering if anyone would suggest/recommend a gun dealer who I could contact for a replacement barrel for my Pedersoli Sharps replica in 45/70. Cutting a long story short, the barrel i have has been drilled through by someone fitting a rail. It's possible to repair (probably) but a new barrel solves the problem. Currently in the UK the sole importer doesn't know how long it would take to source one, nor how much it would cost. thus my search further afield. So, any likely solutions greatly received.

thanks
    As you are in the UK, the best bet would be to contact Pedersoli directly, but with your country's gun laws not sure how all that would shake out. Maybe contact Research Press/David Minshal and seek his advice.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cabezaverde View Post
    I have an octagon Uberti 45-70 barrel. Would that work?
    Sorry, I didn't see that you are in the UK.
    Founder of the Single Shot section.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have.

8 in the 10 ring, then I get a PING. Love my Garand.

Boolit Mold
    thanks for the advice

Boolit Mold
    Thanks

Boolit Mold
    thanks