RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Wideners Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 50 cal muzzle loader dirty bore

Boolit Grand Master

I've been using Triple 7 in my TC Black Mountain Magnum 50 cal for 20 years +/-. I clean initially with Windex w/vinegar then hot water. My rifle is a traditional with cap lock so I can't remove the breach plug readily. A drilled out nipple with a plastic hose into a can of hot water then a tight patch on the rod suctions the war into the bore. Any ways when clean I make sure its as dry as I can then wipe Kroil in the bore and on the outside. Not a spec of rust, corrosion or any other gunk and doesn't have to be cleaned again until used again.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

thanks, At least I will not run out of cleaning methods. I was using the Gel because it came recommended.
    This is the third or fourth time that it has come out looking like an avalanche down the bore with a fair amount of rust.
    I used soap and water with a hot water rinse for years on my TC and that has always worked for me.
    Larry Windex and Vinegar is new to me.
    I think you may be on to something mixing chemicals.
    The military bore cleaner in the green can has never failed to clean some of the worse bores. I used it yesterday and finished with soap and water hot water rinse.
    I put a light coat of gun oil down the bore, Ill leave it set a few days and run a few patches and see what comes out.
    Thanks

Boolit Master
    Vinegar works great to remove rust.
    But will also take off your bluing.
    But mixing it with Windex which has Ammonia will probably kill some of the acidity in the vinegar.

Boolit Master
    From what I have read on the product specs there are two versions of Windex glass cleaner. One has vinegar and one has ammonia (the original version). You don't get ammonia and vinegar in the same bottle.

Boolit Bub
    If the bore is very dirty cake on crud use the finest steel wool money can buy wet the barrel with very hot water then with a heavy dose of soap run through barrel numerous times with rod still in the barrel put more hot water and swab numerous times remove rod put a cloth patch and fresh hot water then do a dry patch if clean it's done oil heavy for storage this will also work on a corroded barrels I had a badly corroded barrel a friend asked me to sight in for him i looked down the barrel and it was very badly corroded i used this system cleaned the best I could and believe me it still shot good

Boolit Master
    Hot water gets you flash rust !Always has ,room temp water is all that's needed ! PROVEN FACT/Ed

Boolit Master
    A good many years ago I was given a 54 cal. barrel off a CVA Mountain Rifle. It was almost new and the bore looked good. After building a rifle around it I found it shot very well. I found this barrel almost impossible to clean and prevent rust. I was not new to BP and had never had any problems with my other rifles. This thing would rust despite careful cleaning, oiling and weekly inspections. I even lapped it thinking there might be ruff spots but nothing helped, if anything it got worse. I finally removed the breach plug and could see several black spots and streaks that the rust had formed around. I thought that the steel had some kind of slag or even cracks that held fouling. I should have cut it open for inspection but just used it for a pry bar.

My local BP shop found a new 50 cal. CVA barrel in a parts buy, I bought it and fit it to my rifle. The new barrel has been great and I've taken more deer with it than any other rifle.

Dave

Boolit Buddy

Try using lard or Crisco to grease the bore.

Boolit Buddy
    Triple 7 c leans with water. Using gel cleaners will not remove or neutralize Triple 7. Clean with warm water until clean dry and oil bore for storage. That should solve your situation.

Best cleanig fluid I have found is the Orange windshield washer fluid. Then I lube with transmission fluid because it is easy to remove.

Boolit Buddy

I found this link interesting.

Boolit Master
    Blackpowder residue is ridiculously east to remove from a rifle barrel - tepid / room temperature water does it best - all the snake oil concoctions under the sun (commercial BP cleaners, windex, vinegar, windscreen washer fluid etc etc ) all they do is lessen the effect of the water they are mixed with and cost money - some of the subs might be different but if 777 says cleans with water - get the message! use water !

Such an easy job made to sound so hard .................................................. .........................................

Quote Originally Posted by rickt300 View Post
    Best cleanig fluid I have found is the Orange windshield washer fluid. Then I lube with transmission fluid because it is easy to remove.
    I use windshield solvent also, works great. I also add about 10% denatured alcohol to the spray bottle to help it evaporate faster.
    Deplorable infidel

Boolit Master
    I agree that water is best for cleaning.

I do use windex at the range for wiping between shots/strings. Why? It evaporates faster than plain water, especially on a cooler day. I've also used alcohol (90% stuff) for the same reason.

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk

Thanks I got the message about the water. I cleaned the barrel until my white patches came out clean. Lightly oild and set it in the gun rack. Ill check it in a couple weeks and see how its standing up.
    Thanks

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DCB View Post
    Thanks I got the message about the water. I cleaned the barrel until my white patches came out clean. Lightly oild and set it in the gun rack. Ill check it in a couple weeks and see how its standing up.
    Thanks
    Didnt mean to come across snarky there
    Plenty water and you have flushed/neutralised the chemical salts left in BP residue - then all is left is some black soot (harmless and non corrosive) from burnt charcoal - that gun might look dirty still but its clean - dry and oil the bore it wont rust ....

Use a bore cleaner solution - alcohol or detergent based without adequate water - you get the bore clean - patches come out white - but there still some salts left in there - that gun looks squeaky clean but its dirty still - moisture from the atmosphere damps the leftover salts and the gun rusts even if its been oiled, because oil dont neutralise or flush out the remaining corrosive salts

neutralise is not the correct term - whats happening is dilution to the point the solution is no longer active as a rust agent - so plenty water with black powder and life gets easy.

I use WD40 before I oil the bore - if shooting again soon then WD40 is all - one dry patch down bore and blow out the nipple or touch hole with air compressor before I go to the range.

Thanks Joe The gell cleaner did not work. Now looking back on it, it is not for cleaning t 777.
    I have some pictures of the bore ill see if I can get a couple uploaded.
    I thought it was pretty well shot, but I killed a deer during the muzzleloader season with it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12